Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the thread about Fiddles crate training I just wondered how many of you use crates or x pens and why?

I've not got one for Louie, but then we adopted him and he didn't have one. When we go out we have a baby gate on the kitchen door. We leave him with his bed and toys and he has a locked cat flap as his little window.

At night he comes up and sleeps on the bed with us. We honestly haven't had a reason to crate him. He is toilet trained and doesn't chew and isnt destructive when left. Hes a good little boy :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I used a crate for toilet training and they sleep in one at night!! IMO it's a staple for puppies it keeps them safe, stops your house getting chewed and is valuable as a tool for toilet training if used correctly. I don't agree with them being crated for more than 3 hours other than at night!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
All dogs in my house start out in crates both for potty training purposes and to keep puppies safe. As they become more trustworthy they are allowed to sleep out of the crates at night in their own little beds in my bedroom. As they get better and better from there they are allowed to stay out of the crates when I'm away for a little while. Better and better allows them to stay out all day while I'm at work.

Any accidents though and they go right back into the crates.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey has a crate, she sleeps in it every night, and when I am not home she is in there too. If she was left alone to roam the house, it would be chaos! She is never in there when I am home but.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My two use crates for feeding - We have carpeted floors, so its the most hygenic way for us (crate trays only take minutes to wash!) (Pip though usually isnt fed in the crate now though she eats anything in her bowl - Maisie drags it out to eat)

They're also crated if we're going to be out for long periods of time, because Pippi will mess in the house, even if she has access to outside, if we're not here. They have a labrador sized crate with toys and blankets in while we're out, but they usually just sleep the whole time. They love their crate!

·
Registered
881 Posts
My guys sleep in crates at night and love there smaller cat boxes. They get excited when we get them down as they think there going out lol

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have a new puppy right now and I use the x-pen to keep her safe from my other 2 chis until they get used to each other; plus my good friend and the breeder of my pup x-penned the puppies to train them to use the pee pads also, so she's already trained in that respect.:binky: I have my puppy Calleighs' x-pen set up with her bedding at one end and the pee pads at the other end and her food and water dish in between. I also have a small playpen set up in my sewing/computer room so she can be in that when she is in that room and she won't get into any trouble for the time that she's a puppy. I also did the same thing with my 6 year old chihuahua when he was a pup, and I kept the set-up for him until he was around 1 year old. Now he and my other chihuahua have pretty much free rein to the whole house....one sleeps in the living room and the other sleeps in our bed. Calleigh is 10 weeks old so it will probably be the same with her when she's a year older too!:love1:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have an upstairs and downstairs pen and in the night for safety Pixel sleeps in her pen, my collie isn't enjoying her jumping up on her all the time and with a boistorous 4 year old sometimes it's the best way to keep her safe.

She is perfectly happy in there and sometimes when she's not in her downstairs pen she goes over and gets right in herself for a bit of peace.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted this last night when I was tired and not using my brain lol

It all makes sense now lol!

But then i've never had a pup or reason to use one so...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender has very good manners and she could be loose all the time, even when I'm gone, I think, but my boy Bichon, Cosmo, might mark if left alone, so they are confined to the kitchen when I'm gone. I think crates are a necessary tool for raising a puppy and they are great for keeping a dog safe in any situation. I don't have a crate set up in my house right now because one isn't needed, but I did set up one when Lavender first came to live with us. She liked it OK, went in and took naps in the snuggle bed, but I never closed the door or made her stay in the crate for any period of time. I just confined her in the kitchen with Cosmo when I had to be gone. The whole idea of having Lavender (outside of the fact that I fell absolutely in love with her) was for Cosmo to have a companion, especially when I was gone. I'm a believer in crates, for sure, and have always used them. My dogs like them and see them as safe places.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have an x-pen and one crate. We don't use either. When we leave, we either take them with us or keep them in the front room. They've never destroyed anything so it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico doesn't use a crate. I bought one before I collected him from the breeder. For house training he never needed it. I used a small room to keep him safe when he was a baby and we had to be out of the house without him. then he moved on to the kitchen with a baby gate, the the whole of downstairs. I gate the stairs all of the time.

I have that X-pen that is eight partss, you can make it into different shapes ans sizes. I use that for blocking off the porch so he can be outside but not roaming in the road..:rolleyes:.
that is handy thing to have.

When he goes to the dog babysitter she uses a carry bag as a crate for him. She takes him to work with her and leave the thiing open so he can pop in it if he wants to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi PinkChi
I use a small crate when not home.
Only time he's ever in it.
Blessings.

·
Registered
447 Posts
We use an xpen with a tray at bedtime and when we go out. I used an xpen when my pups were little then I gave them free roam. They are perfectly well-behaved when roaming free but a little over a month ago I came home to find Bruiser paralyzed and blind. He was in the hospital for 3 days and they believe that he fell and had a head trauma....ever since then, I am paranoid to leave them out free when I am not home. They love their xpen so it's not a problem to put them in there. They have a wooden spindle bed, water, toys, treats and a piddle pad in there so they have all they need! When I am home they are not in there...but they will go in and lay on their bed since they love it so much!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I do have a crate, and i used for Darla and Dillon as pups for bedtime.
It was right next to my bed, till they could join me and Daisy in my bed. lol
I still use it now and then when i have to pop out.
Dillon likes to take a chew in it sometimes when i have it in the livingroom with the door open.
He is not a fan of the door being shut. lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I personally don't use crates for my girls. I was lucky enough to be able and stay home with them all day so potty training was a breeze for us. Kizzie as a puppy slept with us and never woke up in the middle of the night, she held her pee through the night and stayed on the bed. Same as Shayley as a puppy. I can understand for the puppies who don't do that then putting them in a crate for their safety would definitely be the best for them but so far we have never had a problem with our two as puppies.

I never believed in having a dog sleep in a crate at night....only for training and safety but just to put them in there for nothing I don't agree on.

We saw a 3 month old Chihuahua puppy...the smallest I have ever seen in person...probably as long as my hand! IT was super tiny and it wasn't until then I understood what people meant by putting their puppies in crates to sleep at night because you could NOT sleep with a puppy that small! LOL I would be freaking out thinking I smashed it so that would be out of the picture for me!

So I think it is just the situation of the pup and how comfortable YOU feel about it all! All pups are different!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts