Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found a vet that supports a raw diet! Yay! My little girl, Peanut, has been having high liver enzymes (ALT) and I didn't want my regular vet to just put me on a prescription diet for no real reason.

Anyway after talking to the vet yesterday, I finally got brave enough to try a bone-in meal! I have been feeding raw for years, but always supplemented the calcium with crushed eggshell and calcium carbonate.

Peanut and Bow Wow both took to the bone-in meal with gusto! Quite surprising since neither are chewers.

But then today I found my Peanut laying on the floor, crunched up, and moaning. I immediately got hysterical and raced her to the vet. I was crying so hard I couldn't breathe and almost threw up in the car. I thought it was the bone!!!

My poor baby had been stung by a bee!!! I know she is terribly allergic, but the swelling hadn't started when I first saw her. She was just laying there with a fixed stare, yowling. Absolutely terrifying.

But she is doing well and I am calm again! Sadly, she will have to be on a lower protein diet for a while because her Bile Acid Test was high. But the vet sent me some home made diets for her. I tried Dr. Dodd's diet but Peanut only at it on day one - then wouldn't eat it anymore. Her favorite food is raw chicken.

Anyway here are a couple of videos of their first bone in meal!

Peanut - notice her growling! ha ha ha! :

And here is Bowie's first meal:

Scary day for a newbie to bones!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Shoot, couldn't get the videos to work. But I'm glad you faced your fear and let your dogs eat like they are meant to eat. :) That's awesome!! I'm sure you will see some positive changes. It's great that you are working with your vet as well. I hope the liver enzymes come down for Peanut. I'm impressed that your vet is letting you try home cooked instead of immediately using a prescription diet made of sawdust and soy.

Keep us posted. I'm sure seeing Peanut collapsed made your heart stop! It would me too!! Bee stings are scary. Glad she recovered well from that.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have to tell you that I am also impressed with the vet AND with you for understanding how serious liver stuff can be and for being so diligent to manage it and get it addressed.

Your babies will be so healthy because of your work!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if you could send me some of the recipes for a liver diet? My chi, Emmie, is on phenobarbital, and has an extremely high Alkaline phosphotase level. The bile acid tests are both (fasting and after a meal) a little higher than normal. The rest of the liver tests are normal and she is acting well. Thanks Sue

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I am so glad your chi is alright! How in the world did you find out he was stung by a bee? Was the bee dead by your chi?

Quick question about eggshells: Could I crush the eggshells up & mix them in my chis Honest Kitchen? What do you do with the egg? How much eggshell do you give? If we have eggs over the weekend, how long can I keep the eggshells to give to my chi? I mean does it loves calcium if not given to my chi fresh?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I just love this forum and am so grateful to have found you!

Susan, I will most certainly post some of the diets she gave me.

I do love my dogs so much it hurts sometimes. The thought of anything happening to them fills me with terror!

But I have a great vet and will do whatever it takes to keep them healthy and happy. Liver diets coming up as soon as I get to my regular computer.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am so glad your chi is alright! How in the world did you find out he was stung by a bee? Was the bee dead by your chi?

Quick question about eggshells: Could I crush the eggshells up & mix them in my chis Honest Kitchen? What do you do with the egg? How much eggshell do you give? If we have eggs over the weekend, how long can I keep the eggshells to give to my chi? I mean does it loves calcium if not given to my chi fresh?
You can give the whole egg to your dog. I mix the raw egg in with any of my ground meats and chicken necks (watch, when eggs are new they can cause diahrrea so add some bone).

I save my egg shells and when I have a cookie sheet full I bake them @350 for 3-4 min. Just don't burn them! Then I crush them in a coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container and serve when needed! Really easy :) and kept this way will keep a long time. This is a superior calcium source to store bought calcium for,the pups.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm glad your baby girl is ok now. How scared you must have been.
I hate when these things happen, you feel so helpless sometimes.
You are lucky to have a good vet, they seem to be rare nowadays.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I save my egg shells and when I have a cookie sheet full I bake them @350 for 3-4 min. Just don't burn them! Then I crush them in a coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container and serve when needed! Really easy :) and kept this way will keep a long time. This is a superior calcium source to store bought calcium for,the pups.

This is brilliant! I can't believe I never heard of this. My Benji HATES eating egg
shells, I have to always trick him. This method you proposed is great, and will
surely work for even Benji. :rolleyes:

Thank you!:)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I do love my dogs so much it hurts sometimes. The thought of anything happening to them fills me with terror!
I SO know what you mean! I'm always paranoid that any little symptom is a sign of something horrible. Even though my dogs are fairly healthy. I treat everything with prevention...

And I'm jealous you have a vet who supports your diet. I do not have any around here... =( I was lucky to find one who titers for vaccines for VERY inexpensively... so I just swallow my pride when she still insists Julian should be on K/D and just politely decline the garbage... lmao. :foxes15:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.