Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys when I take my chi out the the park to play with other dogs she cramps up and her whole body stiffens to the point she falls over. When I walk her on a lead she's fine and playing in the backyard is fine but when she does hard running chasing other dogs her whole body locks up. It's very distressing to see as she has that look where she's scared and frighten. After about 5 mins she's back to normal. I hate to have to limit her going out as she loves chasing her friends. What Is causing this and how can I prevent it?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Have you had her checked by a vet,seems strange she's enjoying it but the exertion of running causes it,could be her heart

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That sounds very much like a seizure. She needs to see a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree with Michele and Tracy. I'd get her to the vet ASAP. It could be something that, if left untreated, can be dangerous such as epilepsy or some other neurological condition. Even if it's not, something is definitely not right.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
yep yep..... what they said ^^^^^^^^

I had a Chi with a heart murmur, eventually it got to the point that he would just fall over .... after 5 mins or so, you would never know anything happened...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I think most of us think of seizures as convulsions, shaking, etc. But my neighbors dog had a pretty similar situation. Seizures can take on different forms.

I agree, a vet visit is the best thing.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
There is a nuerological condition that has dogs collapse after strenuous exercise. A vet visit is MOST important. Please don't wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts