Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a whole chicken reduced yesterday, so i bought it for the dogs. I have snaffled the breasts for us, and cut the rest up into meal sized chunks and bunged it in the freezer.
It's probably a silly question, but are there any parts I shouldn't give to the dogs? They have never had chicken rib bones before, are they OK? Unfortunately it didn't have any innards :(
I also got them loads of other meats, the freezer is bursting.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
All is edible! Chicken ribs are one of Brody's favorites, very easy to crunch through. He also likes the back and there are little squishy kidneys stuck in next to the spine, so you do get a bit of organ. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. I used to get cornish hens and let Widget work on them for a while, then put it away for another meal later on. Call me lazy, but it worked great;-)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, just watch some of the big leg and thigh bones, they can be too much bone for a beginner. Too much bone causes constipation. Too little causes loose stools. Regulate bone according to your dogs system but aim for only about 10% bone. You can be bone heavy in the beginning as they acclimate, but then gradually back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts