Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so you crazy raw feeders (Kelly, tracy and Heather!!)

I've found a supplier of quails and chicks and am debating seeing if I can get a couple to try but I have the heeby jeebies and some questions

Obviously they are whole feathers and all but how are they killed?
Do they eat the heads? I FEEL SICK
And the feet? STILL GAGGING
And with the feathers do they spit them out?? Would I have to pull any of the big ones out?? Do they digest them and does their poo get stuck and have to be pulled out!!!

Gross can't believe I'm thinking about it

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha Sarah!! We will convert you to a whole prey feeder yet! Just think.... no measuring out of organs to bone to meat. It's all right there in the correct proportions!

They usually kill them with c02. It's very humane and painless for the birds. Also, the co2 doesn't stay in their systems, so they are safe for the dogs to eat.

I would get just two chicks and try them out. You shouldn't have to do anything. Just make sure the dogs are hungry and them hand them over. They will do the rest. They may eat the feathers, they may decide not to. I would let them have the choice.

Yes, they should eat the head! Yes, they will eat the feet! They may or may not eat the feathers.

I will say that not all dogs jump on the whole prey bandwagon. I tried several times with Brody (whole prey quail, rabbit, and mice) and he wouldn't eat any of them. I felt bad as I felt like we wasted that poor animal, so I ended up defeathering the quail and cutting it up and also did the rabbits and it was just about more than I could take. I have a very strong stomach - but that was about my limit!

So sure - try it! Give it a go. :) Your pups are better eaters than Brody. They will probably LOVE it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A day old chick is 1.4 ounces and 13p each!!!!! But postage is extortionate at £11.99 so I suppose that's a really expensive chick and I don't want to order a bunch until I know they like t and I can cope with it!!

You know what bothers me other than feet and feathers eyes and beak!!! That is just nasty!!

So if they don't eat feathers do they just pluck them out with their teeth!

I find it quite disturbing

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Some dogs will pluck the feathers and some will just plow on through and eat them.

Definitely don't order a bunch until you see what your dogs think! Brody said NO. And I so wanted him to eat whole prey. Ah well. I may try again later. Your pups will probably do just great on them.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure they will definitely lotus shell eat anything!! Daisy would after a while I'm gonna see if I can find cheaper postage

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
With any luck Sarah, your pups will eat the whole thing & you won't have to worry. ;) The only whole thing we've tried are smelts & the pups didn't care for them (we have more & will try again when they're more hungry)...the scales threw them off! I am anxious to try quail myself & have thought about chicks & mice but wish there were a local supplier. I'm hopeful my crew will do okay with the small whole prey because they took so well with the rabbit ears. But who knows since Brody wouldn't do whole prey but he loves rabbit ears.

I can't wait to hear how you make out. Take a deep breath & sit back & pretend to be watching the nature channel! hehe :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I bought quail from Tesco's no head, feet or feathers for £5 for two, I still couldn't touch them and got OH to take the skin off them.

They have loads of blood in them and Jake dragged them all over our pink carpet, I'd put them back in his bowl and he just dragged them back out again. I was cleaning the carpet loads that day.

So he dragged them around but he wouldn't eat them so I never bought them again

Deme x.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lmao deme I've bought that packet from telco I just portion it out and give it to them haha lotus eats in her crate daisy is in te front room and I just wipe the floor after!!!

Heather your guys are troupers I'm sure they'd go for it!! Look at reptile suppliers they are who I've found it with here!!

I just re looked at kellys pictures it doesn't look too bad after the head has gone the head bothers me :/

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sarah there is a place in Henlow called japanese koi company that sell whole prey frozen I always get scared when I look in the freezer lol, I think it might be about a hour away from you? Have you tried placed that sell snakes crocodiles and stuff? xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uurrrgggghhh I no likey snakes AT ALL I ha one dropped on me at school ewwww I might have a nose about and see!! You can get mice and stuff but I won't feed mice that's one step too far for me they are vermin so nope!! I got the jeebies hahaha I'm gonna go google now!!

Btw no email :roll:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm going to go and have a look tomorrow, would u like me to pick u up some thing lol bring a cool bag and some freezer blocks to the lcc haha or it could be just de frosting? I wana look at getting a froggy :) I will pull the 'but its my birthday sad face' haha :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha oh I dunno let me have a think I need to convince myself :/ you're brave!!!
A frog gross gross see has just rank

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm going to get some for mine too so will get u the same :p I promise I won't pick a big bunny :(
What do you guys suggest getting? I don't feed my guys 100% raw and they do eat a hell of a lot for such skinny dogs lol give a few options just incase they don't have some things?
X

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking about quail or chicks!! They need to be about 1-1.5 ounces each so they're an entire meal!! The head bothers me

Mice are a huge no no coz of the whole tail issue and well they're mice yuck yuck

1 - 20 of 35 Posts