Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does whole prey fit into a prey model raw diet?

As it contains organs does that mean you can just feed them a 'whole prey' item rather than bits of organs or?

What whole prey can you feed dogs in one meal? Small mice? Chicks? That sort of thing?

And can you feed raw fish? If so what sort and how? Do you just give the whole fish, or do you cut it up and debone it or? Is it just raw fish they can have, or can they eat things like prawns/shrimp to?

Still preparing for Louies transition for raw and just thought about these today.

I thought raw would freak me out, but now I don't think it will, and i'm even thinking of getting some whole prey to :)

When we had our cat she always used to bring in mice and eat them and it didn't bother me in the slightest, so I don't see why Louie eating a mouse would be any different lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, you are on the right track! Whole prey is IDEAL because it has everything in it. Meat/bone/organs in the exact correct proportions. Very healthy. Really the best you can aspire to. Chicks, quail, small rabbits (maybe not an option since you have them as pets!), mice, rats - all good. I would suggest freezing for at least 2 weeks, but then you are good to go.

Yes, fish is great for the omega 3's. Try and stick to the fatty/oily fish such as sardines, salmon, smelt, mackerel. Those are best. But you can certainly do a white fish if you want on occasion. Yes, they can eat them whole. Some people remove the fins if they are sharp. But they can crunch through the bones. I know some people on the coast who regularly feed salmon heads as they are a 'throw away' from the market and their dogs love them and do very well on them. I know some people do feed shrimp, squid, oysters as well. Actually oysters are VERY high in zinc and are a great add in.

I'm impressed with all of the learning you are doing and the preparation! Good for you!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww thanks Tracey! Just trying to find out as much as possible before we are in a position tol feed raw. I just want the best for my little boy :) Whether my OH likes it or not ha ha.

So, do I need to feed him whole prey all of the time? Or just add some in 2 or 3 meals a week? Just want to make sure I do this right. (Though of course we will be starting on chicken when the time comes)

I don't mind feeding mice, maybe small birds, but no I couldn't do rabbit and can't say i'd like to feed rats either. So with the whole prey do you just feed them a whole one that is the right size/weight? And what do you do if they weigh more than your dogs daily allowance? Do you just 'portion' them up? I have no clue lol

Louie is gonna need his own freezer at this rate lol!

If I can get him looking half as good as Brody I will be happy :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would do a couple meals a week. :) Yes, I'd try and find one that was a couple ounces. The whole prey quail that I got for Brody were the right size. Don't buy too many until you make sure that he's going to eat them. If you got a larger one, you could do a couple different things... let him eat the whole thing and then give a very small meal the next day. Or let him eat what he wants and then gather it up and stick it in the fridge until tomorrow. Or you could cut them in half if you wanted. There's lots of ways to do it.

Awww thanks on the compliment for Brody. :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, so a few whole prey meals a week, along with meat and bone in meat. Does feeding the whole prey mean I won't need to add in organs? As they are included in the whole prey right?

Will also include some whole fish once a twice a week?

Will he need any additional supplements?

I think i'm pretty much there on the raw feeding thing now :) Just got to get our house 'liveable' and finish up his last little bit of Orijen and he will be well on his way to being a mini wolf :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You are right, the whole prey is complete. No need to add additional organs. Whole fatty fish a couple times a week is great. I hope Louie likes whole prey and fish! Don't be discouraged if he doesn't and don't buy a whole lot of it until you see how he's going to do. That's 'advanced' eating and will come later after you get him fully transitioned.

The only supplement you really need is fish oil. And that's if you are feeding grocery store meats. If you are feeding animals from the farm versus a factory farmed animal - then they are high in omega 3's. Feed lot cattle/pork and factory farmed chicken is low in omega 3's because they aren't allowed to eat a natural diet. (Corn and processed feed versus grazing for example). Wild game, on the other hand, is very high in omega 3's. I do fish oil because we buy Brody's meat from the grocery store. I'm not hooked up with grass fed cattle, etc.

I'm excited for you to get started!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Tracy, you have been so helpful :)

When you say fish oil, is it cod liver oil? How much/how often will he need? Do I just smear it onto his raw meat?

I will be feeding meat from the supermarket to. Meat from the butchers is very expensive!

Willing to give pretty much anything ago apart from whole prey rabbit. But will probably give the meat a go. Just can't face it with fur on :(

But anything else, I say bring it on! :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you can find salmon/anchovy/krill oil - it's better than the cod liver oil. That's really high in vitamins A & D and can build up over time. Having said that, you'd have to give a LOT to overdose him on it. But just thought I'd mention it.

I'm trying to think what oils are available in the UK. Do you have fish oil capsules for people? You can use those. Just poke one and drizzle over his food a couple times a week.

Oh, and I also didn't want you to think that whole prey will completely satisfy his organ requirement. I'd still want him to have just a bit of organ meat since it is so high in nutrients not found in muscle meats. A small slice of liver and a slice of kidney (maybe half an ounce each, just a bite) once a week would be good.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure we can get fish oil. Should be able to get some in Holland & Barratt or Boots I would have thought. Any particular brands I should look for? Or will just any do?

A smidge of liver and kidney will be easy. If I dice them up and freeze in a ziplock bag can I just open the bag and take out a piece or will they have all frozen together do you think? Although I suppose if I bag up his individual meals I can put it in with that.

My god i'm itching to buy the meat and start bagging it up already!

Cannot wait to see my boy chomping as nature intended :D
Sooo impatient! Wish we could move in already!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't know what brands you have over there! I want to say yumega? Or just get the people kind at a pharmacy. That will work fine!

Yep, you have the right idea on the liver and kidney. Just a thumbnail sized piece to start as it can cause loose stools until they get used to it. Some dogs love it frozen!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh you mean Yumega? Yeah we get that over here! I wasn't sure if there was a specific type to look for or not. Now I know i'll just have a look and grab whatever I fancy. Maybe i'll grab some at crufts on saturday :D

Thankyou so much for all your help you are fantastic x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm so glad and happy to help Steph! Anytime!

Oh yeah, Crufts would be a great place to pick up supplements. What fun! Have a fantastic time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts