Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feed whole prey? I have a source for free mice, and was going to give it a shot. Right now Ziva thinks hers is a toy so it 'playing' with her food. Zoey is actually working at eating hers which surprises me, I didn't think she would. Will post pictures later.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OMG, Zoey LOVED it! She ate it all gone and was trying to steal Ziva's, she is begging for more! I'm so excited! Am I nuts? I really thought it would creap me out to feed whole like that but it didn't lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I fed whole chicks posted a vid too lotus loved it daisy flung it around I couldn't do mice chicks birds don't bother me

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Breed your own!!

I was a pedigree hamster breeder for 15 years.
Gee Heather maybe you should take it up??
LOL.You can make your own!!

PS-I know hamster people all
over the world!! Glad they dont post here!! LOLOL.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha Ha! I don't think I could kill them lol. These come pre-dead :) and I can get as many as I'd like :) I think it would be harder on me if they weren't already dead.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fed whole chicks posted a vid too lotus loved it daisy flung it around I couldn't do mice chicks birds don't bother me
I remember seeing that Video, I want to get more things to try now that I know Zoey is game for eating it :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok next question, does the organs in the mice count as their organ alotment?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Not to muscle you but you would just have to put
them in a box in the freezer and they go into
hibernation,coma,and peacefully just go to sleep forever.
This is the method breeders-owners use
for sick or dying rodents to end their suffering.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
No it doesn't it counts as today's amount so you'd need to minus her daily allowance out of what you give her :)

I should get some more ad try daisy but her stomach still isn't right :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does anyone know how I'd figure out how much % the organs in the mice would be? That could be a way I could get Zoey to eat her organs, she ate them right up in the mouse. Maybe I could feed 3 or 4 a week or something for her 'organ' & bone days?

Okay just thinking out loud here, so the average mouse weighs 30-50g (1-1.7oz)
so if following "prey" model, the organs should account for 10% of that weight correct?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
They way I see it working is feeding whole prey every meal every day as the proportions are correct I don't know how you would work it out others a mice organ is teeny tiny

Did she eat the tail?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep she ate everything, she started with the head, pulled one of the legs off, then kind of 'slurped' the insides out then ate everything else, tail & all. I may reduce her 'organs' by like 1-2/10ths of an oz per mouse fed, but if this can be a way to get her to eat organs, I'm all for it, much easier & better than having to cook them to get her to eat them.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Did she shake it?? Lotus bit the head of the chicks off then ate the feet and then shook the body like mad before eating it

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did she shake it?? Lotus bit the head of the chicks off then ate the feet and then shook the body like mad before eating it
Nope, no shaking, she just bite off the head and ate that, big the leg off then just went to town on the rest of the body.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I get home from work, I will be able to upload the video to Youtube then I will post the video of them eating their mice & the pictures. I was really worried Zoey wouldn't like it at first she just licked it then walked away then decided to try it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Not to muscle you but you would just have to put
them in a box in the freezer and they go into
hibernation,coma,and peacefully just go to sleep forever.
This is the method breeders-owners use
for sick or dying rodents to end their suffering.
Is this actually true? The hibernation part I mean.. that they just peacefully decide on their own to go to sleep? Because personally it still just sounds like a nice fancy way to say 'freezing to death'.. =S I mean I could just as easily say that when people die in blizzards that they're just 'relaxing in the nice cold and embracing their inner light,' lmao but it just seems like sugar coating it.. being that cold, no matter what animal you are, it still sounds like it would be painful...

Edit to add:
FWIW after reading this I had to do some research outta curiousity.. it seems freezing is typically no longer considered humane for mice or even reptiles as it once was.. (with the exception of pinkie mice; something about if their eyes arent open something isn't correctly developed yet.)
But since it's a warm blooded creature, long before it puts them into a type of coma they don't just fall asleep when the cold starts; their extremities freeze just like if a person is out in the cold too long. So by the time their systems slow down they've already suffered the pain of their feet, tail, etc. It seems most places nowadays just use the CO2 method...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh wow! I'm surprised, pleasantly, that it was little ZOEY girl that had at it! Totally thought it would have been Ziva. lol. That's great though! Can't wait for the video. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm so jealous! I've been looking for frozen feeder mice locally & can't find a thing! I'd love to order some but haven't found anything that doesn't cost a fortune to buy OR ship! Phooey on you! ;)

I'm off to see a video & pics. So glad they took to it so well! We'll be getting some whole quail next time I order from hare-today in a couple weeks. Can't wait to try them! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts