Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading all over this site that rawhides are bad. Can someone please explain this?? I give Pixie rawhides because she is teething and chewing everything. I thought it was good for her to chew something like that. She doesn't get that many because it takes her days to finish one. I'm just concerned that maybe I shouldn't be giving her them. But then what would I give her to chew on??? Is it all bones or only the white chewy sticks? I give her greenies but her and the other chi we live with fight over them so I can only give those when the dogs aren't together. Please let me know what you all give your dogs and if an occasional rawhide is going to do damage.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
As with anything, chew toys can cause problems from things like choking and blockages if your pup swallows a large chunk of whatever it is you're giving them.

If your dog is a "good chewer", you probably won't have a problem. But if your dog likes to inhale things like rawhides without chewing them really well first, you may want to keep a close eye on him or her while the chew toy is "in service".

They're not bad... it's just the possibility of them causing problems from very minor things to very serious problems requiring medical attention.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Eddy used to love rawhides but when the pieces got smaller and kind of slimey he would swallow larger pieces! The thing was they didn't digest that well and took a longish time to process so then he'd get tummy aches. I quit giving them to him for that reason.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper did that once and afterwards, I started picking up rawhides that are getting a bit short and replace them with new ones. He never notices. LOL

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I always buy the "compressed rawhide", it takes forever for them to chew the ends off. I do not give them the long skinny stick type. The thing I dont like about rawhide---makes their breath smell terrible!!!! :pukeright:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts