Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
My boys don't chew their nails when they are on but when I cut their nails they sit there and eat the ones I cut off. :scratch: :lol:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Sully is a nail chewer and a bedding nibbler.......i think hers is her nerves!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've noticed Luna will start biting hers when they get too long, or when the hair on her paws grows too long (since she's a long coat). I just take it as a sign that it's time for a clipping. :lol: ^ ^

Not sure why your baby is chewing his, though... Maybe he's just a chewer? :lol:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Are you all talking about your dogs chewing just their nails, or the feet in general? Chewing and licking the feet could be allergy-related, and the moisture from the constant licking/chewing could lead to a yeast infection, like Lin mentioned.

For a dog with itchy feet, whatever the reason, I've read that applying cooled, strong black tea several times a day will help soothe the skin and therefore should stop, or at least lessen, the licking and chewing (which can make any problem it has worse). You can spray the tea on, pour it on, or even dip the dog's feet into it, whatever works best for you, but afterwards, be sure and blot the feet dry...moisture is a yeast infection's best friend.

Also, I think another option is an Apple Cider Vinegar/water mixture, but I'm not sure about the ratio.

I just thought I'd throw this out there just in case anyone's dog had a problem with itchy feet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My Harley also has a yeast infection on his feet, I have a spray and a shampoo, it seems to work.

chis rule said:
My Buford does. The vet says it's because he has some kind of yeast infection or something. They gave me stuff to spray on his paws.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think they might just like chewing/eating nails, or at least this may be the case with some chis. I know when I cut my nails, my chi ate some when I turned around. I was absolutely horrified. I would say if this continues to check with the vet if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Baxter bites his nails sometimes too, I thought maybe they were too long and were annoying him, but I cut them fairly regularly so they don't get too long. Maybe, its just a nervous habit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts