Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new 7 month old chihuahua. She will not let us pick her up. She come close she smells your hands, but when we try to pick her up she runs away. She loves to go outside, but she does not settle down in the house. She is constantly moving. I have yet to just see her lay down and relax. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Maybe she's still got some puppy energy? My Buster is quite hyper too.

Do you often take her for walks? Maybe her getting out and about might help calm her down once she gets home. Kinda like kids, the more stuff they do, the more relaxed at home. That's the way my daughter is anyway. :lol:

If she's already being walked then, I don't know. Maybe that's just the way she is? :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
What were the circumstances of her adoption? I mean, 7 months old is pretty old to have gotten from a breeder... did she come from a shelter or rescue group? I wonder if she's just thrilled to have her freedom and be able to run around like a lunatic. :lol: Does she ever cuddle with you? Will she snuggle up with you when you watch tv or read (or if you're on the computer)? Am I asking so many questions you're afraid your head will explode? :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is 7 months old

The breeder that we got her from says that she likes to keep her puppies until they are older. I guess maybe I keep comparing her to the one that we lost. (and she stole my heart) She will cuddle is I can catch her. But that is hard to do. I am wondering if she was to old to get?

Thanks. :wave:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
How long have you had her? Maybe she's just a little nervous being in a new home. Maybe she hasn't been handled all that much. A breeder keeping a dog for 7 months sounds strange to me. It kind of sounds like he/she had other plans for this dog then changed his/her mind. I don't really know,,,i'm wondering what everyone else thinks?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Re: She is 7 months old

rmtrma said:
The breeder that we got her from says that she likes to keep her puppies until they are older. I guess maybe I keep comparing her to the one that we lost. (and she stole my heart) She will cuddle is I can catch her. But that is hard to do. I am wondering if she was to old to get?

Well, you sure can't say this breeder lets her pups go too young! :lol:

I know it's normal to compare our animals. I did it myself when I first got Jazzy. I would catch myself thinking - "Tia never did that". , etc. But, we have to remember they are all individuals, with different personalities.

Jazzy used to do the same thing with me when she was a young puppy. She would run up to me, then when I would try to pick her up, she would take off. I discovered if I sat down on the floor or on the sofa and let her come to me, it worked out much better. I think it's sort of a game with them.

You said you just got her recently, so give her some time to adjust to her new family and surroundings. I don't think she was too old when you got her - Tia was almost 3 years old when I got her. Sometimes it just takes longer for them to adjust and trust you when they are a little older.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Re: She is 7 months old

rmtrma said:

That sounds very odd, keeping a puppy so long. I think it would be hard to find homes for them at that age, as most people want puppies as young as possible. I don't know what to make of it, just that it's unusual.

I got my Lily when she was 2 and she'd never been shown any affection. It took her awhile to trust me enough to let me pet her and show her love. Once we got past that barrier, she became a love sponge. She just soaks it up. There's hope for your chi too... just be patient with her and let her come to you. Once she realizes how wonderful it is to snuggle, she'll be all over it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That is a long time for a breeder to keep a pup...

It's possible she didn't get socialization at the breeder's and may not be used to constant human contact. I agree with everyone else... just give her time to adjust and everything will most likely work itself out. It's VERY unusual for a chi to not like being held and cuddled so I'm betting she's just getting a feel for the house.

Cooper also runs when you lean over to pick him up though. A trainer told me he is testing my commitment to being the pack leader. According to the trainer, I've won all the battles except that one and this is the only thing Cooper can control. Now, I don't worry about it. If he wants on the couch, I make him jump up himself, etc. I'm not falling for his little games! :lol:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Cooper also runs when you lean over to pick him up though. A trainer told me he is testing my commitment to being the pack leader. According to the trainer, I've won all the battles except that one and this is the only thing Cooper can control. Now, I don't worry about it. If he wants on the couch, I make him jump up himself, etc. I'm not falling for his little games! :lol:
Let's face it, Cooper has you wrapped around his little paw. His genius lies in the fact that he allows you to think you're the boss. :roll:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Let's face it, Cooper has you wrapped around his little paw. His genius lies in the fact that he allows you to think you're the boss. :roll:
Oh, if you only knew what it was like to be Cooper in our house. LOL
OmaKitty is the boss, my sweet, misguided Rachael. I am just her minion. Cooper, well he's at the bottom of the ladder and I think he actually enjoys it there. He DOES have me wrapped around his little paw though - you got that part right :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts