Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 yr old female Annabelle and a soon to be 5 month old male Cody. I have to feed them separately because Annabelle is on a special food for allergies and of course Cody eats puppy food.

I used to put Cody in his crate to eat but now he will not eat his food until Annabelle has eaten her food. When we put Annabelle's food down, Cody sits about 5 ft away and just waits for her to toss him a piece. :shock: That's right, Annabelle tosses a piece of food his way. If he doesn't eat it, which he knows that we don't want him to, she kicks it further towards him. :roll:

I don't know if she is mothering him, letting him know he's dominant or trying to get him in trouble. :lol: Have any of you experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
hmmm. that is something else. I wonder why she does that. Well, as you know I only have 1 chi right now so I can't answer. I am sure someone else will though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
sounds to me like a leader of the pack thing. The top dog eats first and then then next dog, and so on and so forth. Since Annabelle considers her to be higher on the chain of command she gets to eat first and cody only gets to when she is finished or when she tosses him the proverbial bone!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zabet maybe that is what it is. I think Cody is top dog. Maybe that is why she is trying to get him to eat first.

I really thought since Annabelle was older and had been here longer that she would automatically be top dog. So far, that really isn't the case.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In that case maybe switch and start feeding Cody first. With any breed you should also go to the alpha first, but I'm sure you already knew that. Have you ever tried to feed them at the same time, I mean I see you feed them away from each other, but what about in the same room, or even different rooms?
Also, COdy must be one heck of a dog to sit there and watch her eat whithout eating himself!!! Sounds pretty cool to me.

MD

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
With my 2 (I just got Buster), Mr. Peepers will NOT eat if he sees Buster eating, it's so strange and kind of frustrating. I want my Mr. to be healthy too :). So what I do now is feed them the same time in different rooms, like Mammadog suggested. I put Buster in my bedroom and close the gate I have for them or else he'll run out and try to get Mr.'s food. It's working so far. :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imkari I do put them in separate rooms and still Cody will not eat if he thinks Annabelle is eating. :? Like you said it is very strange and frustrating too.

MammaDog I've tried feeding them in the same room at the same time and Cody gobbles his down and waits for his bites from Annabelle. :roll: Same thing happens when I feed him first. And yes Cody is good boy! He really is the most well behaved, friendly little chi I have ever had.

This isn't really a huge thing, it's just puzzling to me. I feel like I am missing a piece of the doggie behavior puzzle. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got a problem with my two as well, I have adult food for Chiquita and puppy food for Jose, and they eat each others food! I just let them eat it, its basically the same ingredients anyways, just different size kibble, and I free feed them so there is always food in the dish so they can graze when they please so it is too hard to try and keep them outta each other's food. Probably tastes the same too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sporky won't eat until the kitten has the first few bites and he won't take food away from her, either. Of course, that's cat/dog thing, too, not just a question of dominance. I like that Annabelle tosses food over. That's sweet.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
both mine are fed at the same time , the dishes are put down at the same time and I have no probs once each has finished they swop over and lick the other bowl clean :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts