Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gemma is 6 months now and she hadn't had a pee accident since she was about 3 months up until just a bit over a week ago. Now I keep finding pee spots in our kitchen and right in front of her crate in our bedroom. I'm now gating her out of the kitchen and keeping the bedroom door closed all day. Does anyone have any idea why this sudden change in behavior? Could it be due to teething? She really had never peed on the floor for months up until now. She still uses her pads and goes outside while we're on walks, but she's also having the occasional accident on the floor. I am cleaning the messes very well with enzymatic cleaner by the way, and they are on hard floors, so the chance of there being any scent left behind is very slim.

Any opinions on why she's started doing this? Or is there no real explanation?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Everytime my parents dog would suddenly start peeing in the house they had a UTI or bladder infection. Maybe she is at the marking age? Not sure what age that starts. Pepper has drips of excitement by her crate when she comes out of it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
whenever mine did something like that ,that was not their usual thing ,it always seemed to turn out to be a kidney or urinary track infection.I took the wee pads and turned them UPSIDE DOWN.That way when the one in question peed,I carefully poured it into a very clean little bottle,and would take them and the pee to the vet for a check.Sometimes it's their way of saying,"look mommy,I'm trying to let you know somethings wrong".Hopefully its not an infection,and she's just marking things.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
whenever mine did something like that ,that was not their usual thing ,it always seemed to turn out to be a kidney or urinary track infection.I took the wee pads and turned them UPSIDE DOWN.That way when the one in question peed,I carefully poured it into a very clean little bottle,and would take them and the pee to the vet for a check.Sometimes it's their way of saying,"look mommy,I'm trying to let you know somethings wrong".Hopefully its not an infection,and she's just marking things.
it's better to take pee pee with you rather than them have to cathederize your baby.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Anything to do with coming into season ???? not sure, i just remember Dottie weeing a lot before she did.
This was one of the first things that popped into my mind. Little Gemma isn't fixed yet, is she? Some dogs pee a lot more when they're going into heat, she may not even be aware that she has to go until it's too late.

I would still take her in to make sure it's not an infection. Better safe than sorry, right?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone! Her coming into heat was one of my ideas, but she's not really showing any other signs. It doesn't seem like a UTI to me because her urination amount is the same and it's the same color, she's just dispersing it in different areas now, lol. She's not showing any signs of a UTI other than the weird peeing spots. She's acting normal in every other way. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on her. I've blocked her out of the kitchen and the bedroom unless we're sleeping, so we'll see if she starts finding new random places to pee.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dottie doesn't show any signs when she's coming on heat,it just sort of appears one day.They're all different i suppose.You haven't had any other dogs at your place ? if Dottie or Lily go out in the garden together they're always peeing on each others pee,like a male dog

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, no dogs or any animals at our place.

I just purposely left the kitchen gate open after she finished her dinner, and immediately after she ate she ran all the way into the kitchen to the corner where she's been peeing and started to squat. I clapped my hands and stopped her and put her on her pad instead, but what the heck is up with that? All of a sudden she thinks she's supposed to pee there. I don't get it. I'm going to go spray it down with enzymatic cleaner again, but I just can't imagine a scent being left behind because I've cleaned every accident so thoroughly.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If she's peeing on carpet it may have soaked deep in under the padding. I always dump a bunch of vinegar, enough it soak in deep and take a few days to dry. Otherwise you may have to replace the carpet, unfortunately. Sounds like she made her own potty spot.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
You might want to have her tested for a urinary tract infection just in case. Our cat had one (as well as urinary crystals) and the only sign of it was that he was peeing outside of the litter box. No difference in amount or colour, and he would sometimes go in the litter box too. We think that he was associating the litter box with the pain of the infection.

We couldn't retrieve a sample ourselves, so we took him to the vet and they just basically left him in a kennel until he peed on the floor and they collected it themselves. It's obviously easier if you can collect it yourself, but you have to get it to the vet fairly quickly for the test to be more accurate.

Hope you find a solution or some answers!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's laminate floor throughout the apartment so that's why I doubt there's scent left behind.

That's interesting, Krystal. I wonder if Gemma could be associating pain with her pad if she had a UTI... We're going to try to find a more affordable clinic because the place nearest to us is going to cost $200 for a urine test + consultation fee. But if that's our only option, then oh well. I think I would like to have her tested because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Yikes! That's expensive. It sounds like Sweden is like an airport, and everything is overpriced! Haha.

Well, I hope that she doesn't have an infection and is just going through some temporary backtracking. At least it's a dog and not a cat! Let me tell you, I'm convinced that cat pee doesn't fully come out of any surface. Yuck.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yikes! That's expensive. It sounds like Sweden is like an airport, and everything is overpriced! Haha.

Well, I hope that she doesn't have an infection and is just going through some temporary backtracking. At least it's a dog and not a cat! Let me tell you, I'm convinced that cat pee doesn't fully come out of any surface. Yuck.
LOL, that's a good way of putting it.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not an infection either. She just seems to be peeing in the same two spots, the corner of the kitchen and in front of her crate in our bedroom. I'm not sure if that's consistent with having a UTI or if that sounds more like potty training backtracking. She specifically ran all the way to the corner of the kitchen tonight when she was already in the living room right next to her pad. She was determined to pee in the corner of the kitchen. :confused:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Even if they pee on hardwood floor, unless you have a "really good" thick layer of varnish, it lingers. And with laminate, you need to be careful. I have laminate in my kitchen, half bath and dining area. It isn't supposed to have water directly on it. It does go together tightly, but I don't trust that it can't seep in through the tiniest crack! Their noses are remarkable!! If she smells any hint of it, she'll be right there on it!

Hope it isn't anything serious and clears up soon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nope, no dogs or any animals at our place.

I just purposely left the kitchen gate open after she finished her dinner, and immediately after she ate she ran all the way into the kitchen to the corner where she's been peeing and started to squat. I clapped my hands and stopped her and put her on her pad instead, but what the heck is up with that? All of a sudden she thinks she's supposed to pee there. I don't get it. I'm going to go spray it down with enzymatic cleaner again, but I just can't imagine a scent being left behind because I've cleaned every accident so thoroughly.
Hi Caitlin you wont believe this but Ruby is doing that as well she did a pee right in front of me to night dont know why she is doing this because she has been so good at going on her pee tray. And when the bathroom door is open she in going in there and doing a poo. This morning i seen her just about to pee under the table i put her on the pee tray told her to be quick but she ran off and did a pee on the floor. Max is great he lets us know when he wants out and Ruby will go out with him.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
What a great idea! I will have to remember that.
Yes what a great idea, capturing pee on an upside down pad. Lady started this same behavior (peeing inside when she didn't typically do this) and yes, she turned out to have a UTI. She did two weeks of medicine and has had no accidents for three days. I have about 4 more days of medicine and then I have to capture some pee and have it retested. Lady had pills cut in half. She took them easily off my finger when mixed into a bit of peanut butter. She had no other symptoms. One day she just started peeing indoors, including visible places. I would get Gemma checked. I know I was frustrated because Lady, from day one was well trained in her potty habits.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the responses. I have cleaned that spot on the floor several times now and there's no cracks where she's going so I have no idea how it can still be there! It seems like she must be smelling it though because she's so attracted to that spot specifically. I even mopped with soap and vinegar but she still went there.

Fay, I'm sorry you are having the same issue. Let me know if it turns out Ruby has a UTI herself. I am convinced I should probably take Gemma in especially if the problem persists. My boyfriend will be all pissed off if it was "all for nothing" and she turns out to be fine but I worry and would just rather be safe. I don't want my poor girl being in pain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts