Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question for u guys. my chi does the weirdest behavior. at night when he winds down he becomes very very crabby. he starts to growl if u touch him while hes laying down and while he grows he starts kissing u. never snipps at us but has a very aggressive behavior. cant help but laugh at him cause he sounds like a little car engine trying to rev up while hes licking your face. i dont get it. hes also very protective too when company comes over. i know we spoiled him to much in early stages. hes a male,6 pounder, thats a little over a year old. he sleeps with us in bed too. cause were big push overs and didnt like him whinning by the bed and felt bad. plus we love to cuddle with him. what can we do except yell at him to stop when he does this growling kiss thing? what caused this to happen?:confused:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of chihuahuas!

My Zorro, almost 4 years old, also doesn't like to be messed with when he's sleepy. He growls and fusses when I move him while we're sleeping. He also sleeps with my husband and me; well to be accurate he sleeps with me.

My husband moves too much for Zorro, and if he's being disturbed too much he'll do that growling thing. If you actually wake him up he'll snort or kinda grunt at you and move somewhere else to go back to sleep. He's VERY opinionated.

As for this being an aggressive behavior I would say no. Well with Zorro, it's just his way of saying, "Don't do that!" Could be that your baby is that way too. Zorro also makes that same sound when he's playing/wrestling with my husband. He wrestles with Brian, but only wants to snuggle and kiss on me. It's like Brian's his playmate, and I'm his snuggle partner. And I suppose Zorro would say that we all know you don't mix those two together. LOL.

As for protective of you with company, I have a little girl, Peca, who belongs only to me. She's Zorro's daughter. She refuses to even let my husband touch her unless she's sitting on my lap. She gets all anxious when he tries to pick her up.

And as far as company, she's like that just isn't happening! I've gotten to where I now put her in "Our room" as I call it so she can snuggle in our bed and smell me. She sleeps with my husband and me too, and just freaks out if there's a door closed between her and me. She even has to go to little girl's room with me. I just can't stand to hear her cry and carry on.

I guess you could say I spoil my babies in the worst way ever. :D I told Brian that now that I'm working again (I was out of work due to health issues for a while) my main goal was to get a fence for my "children." And I buy their favorite dog food for them, because they deserve it you know. We even have doggie doors for them so they can go out and come in as they please. I guess we're just "dog" people, but maybe we're "pet" people cause we have two cats too. Oh well....all these words to say I don't think your baby is abnormal unless mine is too.

I hope you enjoy many years of bliss and love with your young one!

In Christ,

Crys

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I dont think there is anything bad about wanting to spoil your dogs, but i do think you should stop the growling when you touch him.
Darla has started to do this when she is sleeping on my lap and i have to get up.
I firmly say no and dont show any fear cause that could lead to being nipped in the future.
I keep touching her and hold her when she looks like she may snap so she knows i am not scared of her.
They do still have to know who is boss without being nasty of course.
I love both my girls and give lots of praise and love, but they also know when i am not happy at something they have done like that, and then they want to please.

I just think even little things can escalate in the future once they are set in their ways and think it's ok.
Just my opinion.
Oh and i have noticed an improvement in Darla's grouchy sessions since i stand my ground, lol

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Start "NILIF" Nothing in life is free now before it gets worse. You can google the training program. Basically it is a rewards system where he has to do something for you before you allow him to do things as such as get on the couch, get on the bed, eat, etc... This is a way to gain your pack order with him as you are losing pack leadership over him and it WILL get worse if you do nip it in the bud now. There is nothing wrong with spoiling them but you have to maintain control ;-)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Charlie does exactly the same! He doesnt growl any other time, but sleeps on my dressing gown on the bed and once he has settled for the night if you touch him or speak to him he growls. He also kisses you at the same time. I dont see it as aggression, just that he is saying go away but kissing you to say sorry at the same time. We laugh at him.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Most behaviorists will say that if you have any aggression issues at all (and yes, growling is aggression) the dog should NOT be allowed to sleep with you. That totally erases the pack order. Dogs don't see sleeping in bed with us the same way we do. It elevates them to our equals.

If you have a dog with no aggressive tendencies, there's no problem. But a dog that growls (whether he's licking you or not) is confused about his place in the pack order and putting him in bed with the "alpha" doesn't make sense to them. It certainly can and does accelerate aggression and a dog bite could very well be in the future next time you go to move him and he doesn't feel like moving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bella does the same thing. When she gets sleepy she gets crabby and will growl if you mess with her. When I'm tired, I don't like to be messed with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't like to be messed with if I'm sleepy either. I never thought of it that way. I'm so glad to hear that other Chi's that do the same thing as Zorro, and that other people agree with me that he's not showing aggression. Well, have a nice afternoon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank so much for the replys. i agree my lil guy might be a lil cofused on where his place is. we are firm with him and he does know commands and listens well with the exception of this sleeping growl and kissing thing.lol. it is funny. i know we shouldnt let him slep in the same bed but we gave in when he was 6 weeks old and now a year and a half later i dont think i could change that. he would whine at the bed for hours not allowing me to sleep. plus i really do love the little snuggler. we do read alot of info on chis and watch all the shows for tips. i appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Here is the thing - we don't like to be interupted when we rest but we are humans & it's annoying to us. Dogs start to growl when they're resting & we bother them because they don't want to be interupted - they feel they are alpha and are demanding you leave them alone. The growling is their warning & more than likely will progress with time to nipping/biting if this isn't corrected and they are not allowed to be alpha. This is exactly how Chihuahuas get such a bad rap because some people treat their small dogs like babies rather than what they are - dogs. If your Chihuahua was a large dog & it started growling when you touched it when it was sleeping - I'm guessing you (this is a general you) would take it a little more seriously. I know I would! LOL

I am all for spoiling my Chi's but it is so so important to set boundaries for them & make sure they know we are "alpha". A couple of my pups growled as pups. Matilda went through a phase at growling at my daughters when they picked her up - sometimes when resting. Had we decided to make my daughters back down & stop picking her up I'm sure she'd still be doing it & maybe even start biting when they, even accidentally, bumped her while sleeping. I absolutely was not going to have a dog that had any aggressive tendencies that could effect my daughters. Instead I told my girls to sit down with her immidiately when it happened in her lap & just hold her on her side or back (like a baby) for a few seconds & growl back. She never squirmed to get up & would just lick her lips (which is sign of submission). After a few weeks of doing this each time she'd growl - it stopped & it's been well over a year since she last growled at them. They treat her like a doll & she is just as content as can be. :)

I also 100% agree with not allowing them to sleep in bed with any aggressive tendencies (which growling IS aggression which can very easily progress with out intervention). I don't know much about NILIF training but I whole heartedly agree that our pups need to work for things like food, being let off their leash (they all have to sit & wait for me to take off everyones leashes & harnesses after a walk), etc. I don't do it for furniture use but I knowinly allowed them that. But they don't have any dominance issues either.

I'd personally start correcting the behavior. I always worry about letting stuff like that go & then possibly someone (a child maybe?) accidentally touching them & getting bitten one day. Because growling can & most likely, will progress to nipping if you are backing off when they give the warning. Just my 2cents. :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Growling is a warning. It always means something and it can and usually does escalate from there. I agree about not letting the dog on your bed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Spirit sleeps touching me. If I move he moves closer but if I start to get up
or move the covers he snarles like he going to bite. He's so small it's funny.
He's three years old . It's gotten worse since I got a little female yorkie. She likes
to cuddle on the other side of me. When I move in the night and a couple of minutes
later this little fur ball pushes into me I get a little jolt of joy and it makes me smile.
Anyway my vet who also trains dogs said sleep agression is instinctive in some dogs as well as some people and cannot be cured. With a dog not sleeping with him is the only solution. I'm glad my little ones are only 4lbs.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Spirit, this thread is over 2 years old. But the advice still applies. Growling and snarling and acting like they are going to bite isn't funny. It is a warning.

Reactions: KayC

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really didn't mean his behavior was funny, it was just funny that something that
small would attempt to take on something as large as a human being. As I said I asked the vet and he said I would have to give up sleeping with him. He's as sweet as always when he wakes up in the morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts