Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when something worrying occurs?
late yesterday evening, Diefie started licking at his bottom so i checked him out.
i found that he has a swollen, pink and very tender impacted anal gland. :(
he's not been scooting and poor Diefie hasn't shown any sign of discomfort or distress until last night so i had no idea there was a problem starting.

i've upped his bone content in his raw food and given him some Pro fibre supplement to really firm up his poo, put a warm water and epsom salt compress on his bottom to try and soften the impaction.
i tried a gentle massage around the swollen gland but i'm wary of making it worse or rupturing it.

he's currently curled up on my lap with a warm heat pad on his bum looking very sorry for himself. i feel so bad that i can't do anything further for him.
i hope that's going to help till i can get him to the vet on Monday.

i don't know what else i can do to try and ease the problem.
further suggestions are very welcome.

update - i don't think i'll wait till Monday. i'm going to give the emergency vet a call at 9a.m. and see what they say.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
oh no :( poor little Diefenbaker! sounds like you are doing everything possible to help him.
please let us know what the emergency vet has to say. hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, the vet says i was right not to wait until Monday.
both of poor Diefie's glands were impacted and the left one was abcessing and close to rupturing.
there was loads of gritty gland matter and lots of pus but no blood.
she said it still might split open but not to be alarmed if it does, it's because the skin has been stretched and is very delicate.
so, Diefie has had both glands expressed, and the left one flushed. he's been given an antibiotic injection and a painkiller injection along with a two week supply of antibiotic tablets.
we need to see our own vet in two weeks to have the glands expressed again to make sure there's no infection/pus left inside and possibly have another flushing.
my poor baby is snuggled up with his hot water bottle sleeping off the sedative.
thank goodness i went with my gut instinct and didn't wait, it could have been much, much worse.

thank you for your support, Therese :)
we appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
you are so welcome! i'm so glad you got him to the Vet in time.
i know that when i changed jerry over to wellness core, he had anal gland
problems continually. after going back to royal canin it seems to have resolved.
i hope diefie feels better soon :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
So sorry you are going through this. Faith had an abscessed anal glad in November that literally popped up overnight. I rushed her to the vet and they lanced and flushed it and sent us home with antibiotics (amoxicillin) and pain meds. I did warm compresses twice a day for a week and it actually ended up refilling with infected blood and puss so she had to go back and get it flushed a second time and then the vet put some antibiotic gel in the gland and put her on two stronger antibiotics (metronidazole and cephalexin). From that point on she only got better and was back to normal within 2 weeks (3 weeks total from the time she exhibited symptoms of the abscessed anal gland).

It's only been 7 months since that episode but it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stottie is the one with the gland issues, so i've always kept an eye out for problems and know the signs when he's uncomfortable.

so it's just come as a total suprise that this has happened with Diefie.

Diefie has never shown any problems with his glands before and is on a part raw, part Orijen diet (as are my other two dogs).
his poos are nearly always firm and compact.

i guess i now have to take both my boys for a regular "bum squeeze".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts