Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i'll say i've never hit or hurt our dog unless by accident (stepping on her paws) but some time she seems to be very scared of me. i am the primary caregiver i do every thing for her, baths which she loves, food, treats,playing,walks, etc... mostly when the kids are around she runs from me and hides next to them so that they will protect her or something, also i consider her toilet trained in the house but sometimes she poops in other places like under tables

mostly she is fine and normal but others i don't know whats going on

confused niki

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
hey I just thought id say welcome first!!!!
And I love your name- my best friend in the entire world is called NIKKI-LEIGH!!!! :D

Right, have you had her since she was a pup? As previous owners may not have been as nice.
Ive heard of chis hiding from the noisy kids but a chi hiding behind the kids from you :shock: well looking on the bright side, at least your chi feels close to your children as it would be harder trying to work with a children and chi problems. But you should really be able to bond with your chi regardless who is with you. Do your children feed the chi?
A chi (pup/dog) can smell alkaline on babies and young children and therefore can relate to then and sense their younger and more like their age. Maybe she sees you as boss and the kids as littermates, sounds wierd but I wouldnt be surprised! :wave:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my name is nicole lee, but on-line it's nikilee.
thanks maybe she needs more time. thanks for welcoming me i guess i should forumally introduce myself over in the newbie section

**slowly walks to newbie sec, sulking the whole way**hehe

also i'm the one who feeds her always and no breast feeding here my yongest is 7

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've just replied to your post in the Newbie section so it seems you got Mina at about 6 - 7 months age? We got Brooke & Minx at 9 mths & 13 mths age respectively and they were the same at first. If we called them or went to pick them up they would run away. We had Brooke for about 7-8 weeks before we got Minx and had to more or less toilet train her. Minx just had accidents for the first few days or so. I'm sure it was all to do with settling in with both of them.

Oh and Brooke was such a picky eater, I spent a lot of time trying getting her to eat but once Minx (from the same breeder but not her sister) joined her she got her appetite back and is now just a little on the rotund side. Minx is great with toileting but Brooke still has the occasional accident, usually if the weather is yukky and the big sook doesn't want to go outside. They both want cuddles and to be picked up all the time now, but at first we thought they were "scaredy pies" too. :wave:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i forgot to mention that i got her at 2 1/2 month old, so i've had jer for about 5 months now. time flys eh? I always cuddle her at night and she seems to generally want to be around me, but sometimes she is just so wierd

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Koke was a year old in June and I've had her since she was 11 weeks old.
She will come over to where I'm sitting and stand on her back legs and scratch on my leg like she wants to be picked up, then when I lean down to pick her up, she runs away! She doesn't do it all the time, but she does it alot. I don't know why because I have never hit her or even tapped her little bottom.
Sandy will do it if she wants to go outside, but I know Koke isn't always doing it because she wants to go out.
Maybe they think it's a game? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If I raise my hand above Cooper's head, he runs like "no! don't hit me again!!" He's 3 years old and I think I've spanked him maybe 3 times in his life and those three times consisted of two fingers smacking him on his hindquarters (I wish my mother had used the same technique).

I've been told by trainers that he does this behavior because he is submissive by nature and/or is at the bottom of the "pack order". If you raise anything above him, he automatically cowers and/or runs. He has had no reason to do so otherwise... he's got a pretty good life here in our house! He IS very submissive though in his personality and when he meets other dogs - as well as being the last in the pack order in our house.

Try putting your hand out, palm up, under the jaw-line area of your pup to see if that helps with the running away problem. It looks like you've got a really submissive dog; you're lucky in a way! They're so much easier to train and more willing to please if they have that mind-set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts