Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to leave Midgie at the vet this morning cause they're booked up. She's been excessively itching for 3 days now & has huge welts on her back end up her back. She had me up last night from being miserable. Benedryl don't seem to be helping.
My stray dog, Biscuit was attacked by the neighbors dog. They were big buddies playing all the time, but now that they're growing out of the puppy stage, they're becoming more aggressive. The other dog ripped a square chunk of skin & hair from Biscuits shoulder exposing him to everything. I being financially drained from running Midgie to the vet about every 3 weeks & can't affod to take Biscuit. He's been licking it. I got one of those plastic head things & washed the wound out & packed it full with Neosporin. He laying out there like he's dead because I don't think he likes wearing that thing. I left a note for the vet when I dropped Midge off asking if there's an antibiotic I can give Biscuit so I'll have to wait til they call me to go pick her up. This is not how I planned to spend my Friday & to top it off, the engine light in my Toyota started coming on which I'm pretty sure it's an Oxygen Sensor. I'm extremely tired & overwhelmed & with twin 5-year old girls I hope something positive starts happening soon.
I'm also waiting on Midgie's specially made allergy shots to come in (probably next week) so we can give her some relief. It just seems like when something's wrong with my Chi, it always happens close or on the weekends when the vets closed & they charge a fortune for emergency calls. My vet is also closed on Monday.
Just venting.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Does Biscuit need sutures? How big is the wound? Bite wounds can be tricky because they can have punctures from the canine teeth and those can get infected and/or abscess. I'm concerned about that wound. Will your vet let you pay a little at a time? Put it on Care Credit? Can you use a credit card?

So sorry that you are going through this right now.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
awwwwww poor biscuit!! The same thing ALWAYS happens to me I never have $ b/c I've been unemployed for 2 yrs due to school and have been severely struggling to pay my minimum on my visa and my phone bill monthly well I finally got a back pay check fromt he government for a large amount of $ so I paid off a small chunk of my bills then my damn cat got reoccurring bladder infections and I used the whole thing to pay for her and she still has to go back next week I also had to run to the emergency vet recentley and pay $200 hate how life is so cruel sometimes!

I feel for you sounds like you're doing everything right. One of my cats had a wound about that large on her neck and what I did was put polysporin on it with gauze and then a tensor bandage wrapped around her neck to hold the gauze on and stop her from scratching at it it took a couple weeks but it completely healed on it's own. I also used gentle soap and water to cleanse it when I would change the gauze and reapply polysporin. Hopefully you can heal it on your own and won't have to spend the extra cash on taking him in too. GoodLuck!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awwwwww poor biscuit!! The same thing ALWAYS happens to me I never have $ b/c I've been unemployed for 2 yrs due to school and have been severely struggling to pay my minimum on my visa and my phone bill monthly well I finally got a back pay check fromt he government for a large amount of $ so I paid off a small chunk of my bills then my damn cat got reoccurring bladder infections and I used the whole thing to pay for her and she still has to go back next week I also had to run to the emergency vet recentley and pay $200 hate how life is so cruel sometimes!

I feel for you sounds like you're doing everything right. One of my cats had a wound about that large on her neck and what I did was put polysporin on it with gauze and then a tensor bandage wrapped around her neck to hold the gauze on and stop her from scratching at it it took a couple weeks but it completely healed on it's own. I also used gentle soap and water to cleanse it when I would change the gauze and reapply polysporin. Hopefully you can heal it on your own and won't have to spend the extra cash on taking him in too. GoodLuck!
When it rains it pours! Thanks. The wound is in such a bad place that I can't put a bandage on it. I put a plastic cone on his head & been washing it out with warm soapy water & packing it with neosporin. He's also on antibiotics. I'm also waiting on the vet to call me in for my Chi to consult me & show me how to administer Midgies allergy shots. Not sure what that's going to cost. Good Luck to you too!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Wait I'm confused.. you said Biscuit was your stray dog? So its not a stray?? I'm so lost lol... I would take him to a vet to see if they recommend sutures..

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
omg just the pic...that is too much! poor baby! im sorry you had a "sheety" day. i hope it gets healed up fast and that the vet calls you back!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm afraid that piece of skin at the end of the wound that has been pulled back is not going to lie back down and is going die from lack of blood supply and get infected. It looks like it needs to be trimmed off which of course would require a local to get it all cleaned and that piece trimmed off. You could probably safely wait a day or two and see how it looks, but if it develops pus, swelling, redness, or she gets a fever or goes off her food and water - you will have no choice but to take her in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
:(
I'm afraid that piece of skin at the end of the wound that has been pulled back is not going to lie back down and is going die from lack of blood supply and get infected. It looks like it needs to be trimmed off which of course would require a local to get it all cleaned and that piece trimmed off. You could probably safely wait a day or two and see how it looks, but if it develops pus, swelling, redness, or she gets a fever or goes off her food and water - you will have no choice but to take her in.

I agree...

It looks to me that the wound may actually need stitches. At the very least it needs debriding and to be treated with oral antibiodics and a strong topical medicine.
It's good that you aren't letting him lick it but the fact that it bothers him so much that he feels the need to tend to it leads me to wonder if it is infected.
I think it would be worth the money to go check...CareCredit is a really cool credit card company that hopefully would help!! :)

Good luck! I am so sorry all of these crappy things are happening to you and your babies!!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait I'm confused.. you said Biscuit was your stray dog? So its not a stray?? I'm so lost lol... I would take him to a vet to see if they recommend sutures..
Biscuit wandered to my house to play with my kids. It was obvious he was a stray so I can bare to see a dog hungry, so I started feeding him. He made himself at home on my front porch where he sleeps every night. This is the 3rd stray thats wound up at my house because of the kids since March. I was fortunate to find forever homes for the 1st 2 because they were small dogs. No body wants this big dog & because I don't want to drop him off at a shelter for fear he'll be euthenized, I'd rather take my chances with him here & do what I can for him. My Chi has been suffering from Food & Environmental allergies (which is costing me a fortune)& my husband hasn't been working that much because of the recession. I'm having to run her back & forth to the vet about every three weeks for an allergic reaction.
I've been cleaning his wound out 2-3 times a day with warm soapy water & packing it with neosporin. I'm also giving him an antibiotic & he's wearing a plastic cone to keep from licking the wound.
If it starts getting infected or he starts getting sick & stops eating or drinking, I won't be able to stand seeing him that way & I'll have to take him (don't know how I'll pay for it) but I will not let a dog suffer.

·
Registered
923 Posts
*hugs* Bad things happen. Take a breath, and remember you are a good person and things will get better soon.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Had to leave Midgie at the vet this morning cause they're booked up. She's been excessively itching for 3 days now & has huge welts on her back end up her back. She had me up last night from being miserable. Benedryl don't seem to be helping.
My stray dog, Biscuit was attacked by the neighbors dog. They were big buddies playing all the time, but now that they're growing out of the puppy stage, they're becoming more aggressive. The other dog ripped a square chunk of skin & hair from Biscuits shoulder exposing him to everything. I being financially drained from running Midgie to the vet about every 3 weeks & can't affod to take Biscuit. He's been licking it. I got one of those plastic head things & washed the wound out & packed it full with Neosporin. He laying out there like he's dead because I don't think he likes wearing that thing. I left a note for the vet when I dropped Midge off asking if there's an antibiotic I can give Biscuit so I'll have to wait til they call me to go pick her up. This is not how I planned to spend my Friday & to top it off, the engine light in my Toyota started coming on which I'm pretty sure it's an Oxygen Sensor. I'm extremely tired & overwhelmed & with twin 5-year old girls I hope something positive starts happening soon.
I'm also waiting on Midgie's specially made allergy shots to come in (probably next week) so we can give her some relief. It just seems like when something's wrong with my Chi, it always happens close or on the weekends when the vets closed & they charge a fortune for emergency calls. My vet is also closed on Monday.
Just venting.
I am so sorry to hear this. And I can relate. We have been going through the worst time, had gotten behind on a couple bills, both 02 sensors went out and the car won't pass e-check. Soooooo Phil had to start driving my car and that left me without. Mom had shoulder replacement surgery and I have been absolutely no help because of no car and then Ernie got sick, critically ill. The vet couldn't reassure me that he was going to pull through, and even broached the possibility of euthanasia if he didn't come around pretty quick. He does seem to have made quite a bit of improvement but we are not out of the woods just yet. Looking back I don't know how we did it. Well I do know, we had lots of help from good friends. I wish I could tell you it will be all right tomorrow, but I can't. But you will survive it my dear. Just hang tight.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for all the hugs & kisses & heartwarming wishes. Today was a great day--spent the day at my brothers & had Midgie with me. We just got home & Biscuit was hungry. Got him fed & his wound washed out & repacked & he's still wearing his plastic cone on his head. Got an email by the 2x2Ranch for animals saying she has a foster home that will take Biscuit hopefully Tomorrow (Sunday). So far every other foster home that she told me would take him hasn't, but maybe this one will. I hope every one else is having a good day.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm glad to hear that there's a foster home that might be able to take him; you've done a great thing helping him along this far. That's the hardest part when you 'involuntarily rescue', when you just can't bear to let an animal suffer; but you're heart is big enough to know when it's time to let someone else step in if it's whats best for the dog. I'm sure Biscuit appreciates that you've taken your time to lend a helping hand when he had nowhere else to turn.. the world needs more people like you!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through all this right now. It's terrible whats happening with your baby and the stray. :( You're such a good person for trying your best with the stray though! More people should be like you! Keeping them in my prayers and hoping something comes your way!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad to hear that there's a foster home that might be able to take him; you've done a great thing helping him along this far. That's the hardest part when you 'involuntarily rescue', when you just can't bear to let an animal suffer; but you're heart is big enough to know when it's time to let someone else step in if it's whats best for the dog. I'm sure Biscuit appreciates that you've taken your time to lend a helping hand when he had nowhere else to turn.. the world needs more people like you!!
Thank You! But that's just the thing; Dogs give us love unconditionally & don't expect nothing! I know I'm going to have to hold back tears when time comes to turn him over knowing he'll be looking at us wondering why we don't want him. My hubby knows how worried about Biscuit being on the front porch through the winter & his aweful wound & tells me to have him euthenized. I can't believe he would say this & it really hurts me to hear this because he's got a big heart & always supports all of my decisions. I guess he's as frustrated with the whole situation as I am. I told him that's the problem with this world, no body wants to help this dogs or do anything, but I can't stand to see a dog hurt or hungry. I feel guilty getting rid of him, like I'm pawning one problem off on someone else, but I just have too much going on in my life now. My husband is trying to ban me from helping any more strays that wind up on my doorstep, but I don't understand how he can do that when a stray is looking at you for attention, wagging his tail & you know he's hungry. Any way, sorry for the rant.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think the right and responsible thing to do right now is to take the fella to a no-kill shelter in your area. They will have the resources to help him get the medical attention that he needs and find him a good home. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with everything...and I hope you are able to work it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts