Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many people who own chis puppy pad train them? From everything I've heard, read, and experienced, puppy pads are in and of themselves entirely counterproductive to the idea that you potty OUTDOORS because they're allowed to go inside. I've housebroken quite a few dogs, and the only puppy that reverted back to peeing indoors was the one whose owner insisted I also train him with pads. It just doesn't make sense to me...I don't want Chip thinking it's okay to pee ANYWHERE indoors. It seems like it was greatly confuse the dog.

Just wondering...not meant to offend anyone or anything :p

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I pad trained Paco because I live in a condo, I can't just open the door and let him out in the yard to go potty, but I have trained him to go outside when I'm at my daughter's and he does well with both situations, I feel that if I were to move into a house with a yard, I would have no problem training him to go outside exclusively.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pad trained Paco because I live in a condo, I can't just open the door and let him out in the yard to go potty, but I have trained him to go outside when I'm at my daughter's and he does well with both situations, I feel that if I were to move into a house with a yard, I would have no problem training him to go outside exclusively.
That makes sense. Can he not hold his bladder while you're at work until you can take him outside and walk him, though? That's the other "issue" I guess you could say I have with it; if they have constant access to somewhere they're allowed to go pee on, wouldn't that mean that eventually they'd learn they don't have to hold their bladder while you're away? It seems like that would mean that if they were to ever be somewhere and there wasn't a puppy pad, they'd still go ahead and pee because they were trained it's okay to pee whenever they want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My baby precious is house trained. She goes out in the morning and in the evening. I used puppy pads because when she is home alone, she uses them :) Living in California the weather can get hot and I leave her at home.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'ts funny there are times I get home from work and the pad is dry, he slept all day and didn't go potty. He also holds it all night, he dosen't get up and use the pad. I still think they can be taught to hold it and go outside when needed. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I suppose if you haven't got a garden or live in flats pads are so much easier,like a cat that doesn't go out uses a litter tray

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I got Frodo it was the dead of winter and minus 35 with 4 feet of snow on the ground and I just couldnt put him outside to do his business.When Pippin came in the spring I outside trained both of them at the same time. They still will have accidents when the weather is not perfect and they are picky. No carpet helps and they are crated while I am out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I trained with puppy pads because I travel and when staying in hotels sometimes it gets difficult. Also, her tiny baby bladder needed to potty more than once an hour as a little puppy. And now I live in an apartment, so having her puppy pad trained has worked out well. She still goes potty outsaide whenever she can. On walks, at the park, anywhere she sees nice grass haha.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I live in an upstairs apartment, in Oregon where it is raining 90% of the time. I chose to pad train because I can't just open the door and let my dogs out.. Also my shifts at work are sometimes 6 hours and I would not want them to have to hold it that long. When I take Lion somewhere where there are no pads, he holds it until we are outside.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I lived in a 6th floor apartment building. I did NOT want to get up and take out a chihuahua in the rain, sleet, and snow. When I did walk them, yes, they took advantage of it. I have dogs that will hold 'it' for hours while driving all day, and wait to use the pee pads in the motel!! Also went occasionally on the trip. I did train them because I am basically lazy I guess. Also who wants a soaking wet dog?? Not me! Sue Davis

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Mine go both on puppy pads as well as outdoors but not outdoors unless we are elsewhere. We have pads because of all the predators where we live. My guys are small and even some that are not so small could still be picked up by a bird of prey or coyotes, bob cats, bears, etc...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like to use pads because of the crazy NJ weather. In the winter we can get blizzards, spring brings the wonderful down pouring of rain and summer has 100 degree days. I am always so thankful not to have to brave the elements.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I won't use the pads with my two. I want them outdoor trained. I like being able to take them places with me and know that they'll go to the door.

And, I don't like the idea of poop or pee sitting on the pads inside my home while I'm at work - if I were home all the time, though, I doubt I'd feel any differently. I also think the fresh air is good for them, and they love going outside to potty.

Mine go out on a regular schedule. They're never left on their own for longer than 4 hours, and both are now adults. I've never used pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I won't use the pads with my two. I want them outdoor trained. I like being able to take them places with me and know that they'll go to the door.

And, I don't like the idea of poop or pee sitting on the pads inside my home while I'm at work - if I were home all the time, though, I doubt I'd feel any differently. I also think the fresh air is good for them, and they love going outside to potty.

Mine go out on a regular schedule. They're never left on their own for longer than 4 hours, and both are now adults. I've never used pads.
This is how I feel :p I don't want Chip thinking it's okay to go potty inside ever, LOL. Even when it's cold, snowing, raining, etc., Chip goes outside to go potty with boots and a coat on, and comes back in all excited and runs around.

I think that the exercise- no matter the weather- is good for both the owner and the dog, so I could never personally shirk my walking duties because of the weather, LOL.

I crate Chip while I'm somewhere he can't be (i.e., work), and then let him out multiple times while I'm home.

All that being said, thanks for answering my question, everybody! :) It's not something I would personally try to use, but as long as it works for everyone else then I suppose it can't be too bad!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Outdoors and on disposable PeePads. I like that they are flexible depending on what
circumstances dictate. As others have said, there are many reasons that may prevent
them going outside; Blizzards, Lightning, Birds of Prey, to name a few.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My girl goes outside, no matter the weather. In my opinion she's a dog, maybe a small one, but a dog none the less and she is treated the same as my border collies. I expect the same level of manners, obedience skills, potty skills, etc. I don't want my dogs to every think that pottying inside is okay. I couldn't stand the smell of poop and pee that has sat inside for hours.

Also makes it much easier to take her places since I don't have to worry about her seeing a random rug as a place to potty and I know she will hold it until I get her outside. She can hold it for 8 hours just fine.

I think the only possible time I would consider it is if I lived in a high rise apartment in New York. I've lived in apartments with no yards before and I took them all out for potty breaks on leashes.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Just wanted to add that I don't think people necessarily use potty pads as an excuse not to walk their dogs.. I walk my dogs 2 times a day and they use potty pads.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Diefie and Atticus who i've had from puppyhood, have both been trained to "use the paper" (newspaper/pads in the corner of the tiled kitchen floor) but also receive heaps of praise and encouragement when they potty in the garden.
they both know that they wont get into trouble pottying in these designated areas and that they can use the paper inside if they really need but that it is preferable to potty outside in our garden. if they do poo when we're out and not in our garden, i clean it up with out fuss and they don't get any praise.

Stottie on the otherhand came to me as a two and a half year old rescue, has only ever been "taught" to potty outside.
Stottie won't use the paper in the kitchen, he'll look at it and run around whimpering to go outside.
the consequence of this is that for the first year of him being with us, he would sqeeze out a poop every single time i took him outside. he would cower in the corner, shaking until he'd done something.
it broke my heart to watch him.

i prefer my dogs to potty on paper as it's convenient for clean ups. sometimes it's difficult to keep track of all three outside when two are devoted (disgusting) poo eaters.

even though i'm a firm believer in cleaning up after my dogs, i like the fact that we can go out for family walks and know we wont have to be carrying round bags of poo till we find a dog bin.

IMO a walk is just that, not a potty break.

I think there's no right or wrong in the debate of "to pad or not to pad",
i believe in using what is right for you and the dogs and in POSITIVE training.
that is the key to success :)

hmmm - this turned into a bit of a novel, sorry folks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in an apartment so my guys use a potty pad. They only have one, which is located in our bathroom. They do not have one in their pen when we are not home, so they know how to hold it while we are gone.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just wanted to add that I don't think people necessarily use potty pads as an excuse not to walk their dogs.. I walk my dogs 2 times a day and they use potty pads.
I agree with you. My girl is Puppy Pad trained too. I live on the 9th floor of a city centre apartment with no garden and dogs are banned from going potty in the communal areas downstairs.
Isabelle uses both pads and knows she can pee outdoors too when on walks. I visit friends and family every weekend and I can pop a pad down on the floor in a quiet area and she will only use that. She has never once pee'd on anyone else's floor. Or mine either, other than the first 48 hours that we got her.
We take her for at least 1 long walk a day through the week and on a weekend either family visits or hiking in the countryside. So it's wrong to assume Pad trained Chi's get less exercise.
To add, Isabelle will still hold it for around 7 hours. Just because she sees a pad doesn't mean she will just go for the sake of it. She still holds it.

What I will add is what works for you may not work for other people, so there is no need to make assumptions before trying it. Other people have different ways of feeding, training, and raising a pup... doesn't mean that way is incorrect just because it doesn't work for you.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts