Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bryco has kind of always been an itchy dog. We saw a dramatic decrease of the itching when we switched him off of kibbled food, but he's still itchy now. Mostly, he's scratching at the backs of his ears?? He is NOT chewing or biting at his feet/paws at all. Just itching at his ears.

We just had all the carpets in the house cleaned a week ago to see if it'd help, using "green", eco/pet friendly products. No improvement.

Because he is itching his ears so much, his ear fringe isn't growing in the way I'd like it to, he literally is scratching some of the fur off of them.

Is it possible it could be psycological?

For the past month I have kept him strictly on raw foods, to see if it is THK causing it, or something in THK, but there hasn't been any improvement, so I don't think its anything in that. It really doesn't seem like a food allergy but maybe it is?

We also swapped the detergent we wash their stuff in to one of the gentle, scent free, baby free/clear ones. No improvement. We did that maybe 2 months ago?

His only treats he gets are single ingredient treats or now he's getting some Stella & Chewy's carnivore crunch...

I really can't figure out what it is... sometimes it seems like he's just bored and wants a good scratch?????

He is not bathed very often, so, I don't think its that, and his shampoos are soap/dye free/scent free. I've tried using an oatmeal medicated one to see if it calms him down but no luck. Its seriously driving me nuts, because he scratches and scratches and will cause some scabbing. Otherwise he seems healthy and happy but ugh...why could he be so itchy? is there something I'm missing?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edited to add...it's been driving me so nuts I've been giving him benadryl almost daily, but that really doesn't seem to cut down on the itching he does??

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We sometimes get the itchy scratchies. Matilda has been digging at her mouth/face today. I've noticed it happens more when I add in salmon oil for whatever reason. :confused: Today however, I think it's because I gave them a left over burger this morning forgetting I had added Worcester sauce! Oops!! Too much salt I've noticed makes them itch a bit more. So when we feed sardines or mackerel we always get a bit of itching. Don't feed it so much anymore because of that.

They don't scratch so much it causes scabbing though. I'm guessing you are but are you good about the chicken you feed not being enhanced at all? Could be that. Or maybe a slight allergy to one of the protiens in his diet or in THK? Not sure how much could be habit...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We sometimes get the itchy scratchies. Matilda has been digging at her mouth/face today. I've noticed it happens more when I add in salmon oil for whatever reason. :confused: Today however, I think it's because I gave them a left over burger this morning forgetting I had added Worcester sauce! Oops!! Too much salt I've noticed makes them itch a bit more. So when we feed sardines or mackerel we always get a bit of itching. Don't feed it so much anymore because of that.

They don't scratch so much it causes scabbing though. I'm guessing you are but are you good about the chicken you feed not being enhanced at all? Could be that. Or maybe a slight allergy to one of the protiens in his diet or in THK? Not sure how much could be habit...
I've been really careful to use no enhanced meats...and had been using the anchovy oil for him instead of salmon to see if possibly that were the cause, but it doesn't seem to be. I am sooo confused. They haven't had anything salty at all, and gosh, when he wakes up, he needs like a good 20 min itch session before he settles down. It drives me absolutely crazy.

So I figured it might be THK which is why he hasn't had any for 1 month, but the itching's still the same :( BAH!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw sorry, Kristi. I know only too well how frustrating this can be having had this problem in the past. Both Pip and Roo have completely stopped itching since I put them on grain free formulas of THK. So happy about that. It really sounds like you have everything covered so I'm clueless myself. Do you still use the Tropiclean products? The water one and so forth? Could it possibly be something in that? (Although I know you've used it for ages) How about dry heat? I remember last Winter Pip and Roo started to itch more when I started having the heat on, they tend to want to lie right near the vents. I now use 2 humidifiers and that helps a lot. I hope you're able to sort it. :(

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
So I figured it might be THK which is why he hasn't had any for 1 month, but the itching's still the same :( BAH!
Yeah, I really don't think it could he THK since you've stopped it and fed him raw for the last month.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paula its driving me absolutely batty! I bought some topical itch relief spray that's natural/holistic tonight at the pet shop to try putting on his ears, but I wonder if it could be an ear infection or trouble possibly?

There is NO smell/discharge/wax buildup in his ears, but still he goes at them. He's always been a little nutty haha but this is ridiculous.

I do still use the water formula but really there is so little in it, Idk...?? I also think maybe it could be some of the "crap" in the toothpaste I use, or maybe Petzlife...but again, it just would seem odd he's only going at his ears. :-/ For awhile he went bonkers getting at the spot where his microchip was which is why it moved, I think. I sort of wonder if this is still just after effects of vaccines he's had...hate to think it might be, but really, I have tried just about everything and am really unsure. I'm going to take him to the vet next week to get his ears checked, b'c its odd.

It is VERY dry here, so,...maybe the delicate skin on the backs of his ears is bothered by the dryness. Its so dry my friends almost always get nosebleeds/cracked hands/feet when they visit :( The other 3 are all fine though, like I pretty much never see them itch!!

I was SURE it was the grains in Keen but low and behold, 1 month of no THK and no change whatsever in the itchies :(

·
Registered
923 Posts
I was going to mention dry skin! I am suuuper sensitive to dryness. I get bloody noses pretty much all winter, it sucks.

Have you tried using something to add more moisture? Humidifiers?

Edit: Also wanted to add that if he has a slight sensitivity to something in the food, I think it may take more than 1 mth to see symptoms stop completely, wouldn't it? Altho, with what you feed I bet it's just dry. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to mention dry skin! I am suuuper sensitive to dryness. I get bloody noses pretty much all winter, it sucks.

Have you tried using something to add more moisture? Humidifiers?
I think thats the next step. I hate them but its just odd, because I eliminated everything pretty much but raw meat bones and organs and it got no better. So maybe we need to try those. My skin hurts sometimes its so dry :( I have been trying to use the emu oil spray on him to add moisture back incase its dryness.

I just really don't think this is diet-related. And he doesn't go outside much--so I doubt its allergens from out there. And we thought maybe the carpet cleaning would help...but no. *bangs head on wall* guess humidifiers are in our future because it would be good for our skin too anyway.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It could be the vaccine, I suppose. I'd also get his ears checked, especially since he seems mainly to be itching that area, that does make me wonder. I feel for you, hun, it drove me completely nuts when mine were itching like mad. How long has it been really bad? If it started to get worse with the weather change, I'd maybe try a humidifier. I have two, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. It makes a huge difference in my skin so I know it must help them as well. Argh why must they be so sensitive. :/

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could be the vaccine, I suppose. I'd also get his ears checked, especially since he seems mainly to be itching that area, that does make me wonder. I feel for you, hun, it drove me completely nuts when mine were itching like mad. How long has it been really bad? If it started to get worse with the weather change, I'd maybe try a humidifier. I have two, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. It makes a huge difference in my skin so I know it must help them as well. Argh why must they be so sensitive. :/
Its been about the same amount since we got him off kibble. The others don't even seem to know what an itch is...I tried switching out his toothpaste too to no avail. We also did go 1 month without the water additive and he still itched then. It mainly seems to be when he wakes up he wants a good itch. It hasn't gotten any worse w/ the colder weather so maybe he's just a nutter lol.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mia and Skylar scratch quite a bit, I've noticed (they're not losing hair though). I wonder if they're not scratching at their collars. It took Skylar a LONG time to get used to a her collar. Their collars are as loose as they can be without falling off...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mia and Skylar scratch quite a bit, I've noticed (they're not losing hair though). I wonder if they're not scratching at their collars. It took Skylar a LONG time to get used to a her collar. Their collars are as loose as they can be without falling off...
He doesn't wear a collar at all, in the house, if we go out its a teeny tiny rolled leather one that doesn't seem to bug him, good thought though.

He isn't really LOSING fur, but I think its shorter than he should be b'c hes itching so much, ya know?

He's sort of neurotic lol, and I really just keep wondering if hes itchy b'c he wants to be and it gives him something to do? By neurotic I just mean he obsessed about things.

I also don't wear purfumes and only natural deoderants and stuff b'c of personal allergies, so...I thought maybe it could be something I'm wearing, but I'm really not wearing anything...UGH!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is you could have your vet do a check of his ears for a yeast or fungal infection maybe? I have heard that can be a cause of ear itchiness. Or it could be like you said, he is just being nutty. :lol: I wondered that too when Pip had his itchies. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, just had another thought, wonder if it could be the glyco flex? but...he's only been on that 1 for maybe 2 months, before that it was something else. I may just switch them all to the human grade glucosamine after this is all said and done w/ if I can find something easy enough to dose...UGH!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hmm, just had another thought, wonder if it could be the glyco flex? but...he's only been on that 1 for maybe 2 months, before that it was something else. I may just switch them all to the human grade glucosamine after this is all said and done w/ if I can find something easy enough to dose...UGH!
I totally forgot you use gyco flex! It could be that. It bothered Pip and Roo too. (I used the chewy ones.) They got itchy and Roo's anal glands acted up. I went back to using the Cosequin tablets. Whenever you have a chewy type item there often seems to be a lot of unnecessary stuff in there.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I totally forgot you use gyco flex! It could be that. It bothered Pip and Roo too. (I used the chewy ones.) They got itchy and Roo's anal glands acted up. I went back to using the Cosequin tablets. Whenever you have a chewy type item there often seems to be a lot of unnecessary stuff in there.
Thats what I'm thinking ... gonna see what I can find tomorrow for a glycoflex replacement, and have the vet check out his ears...*sigh*.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thats what I'm thinking ... gonna see what I can find tomorrow for a glycoflex replacement, and have the vet check out his ears...*sigh*.
Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does he get enough exercise? Maybe he's just bored/under-stimulated.
We try to play w/ them a lot inside, but its so cold already, in the 20's, we haven't been walking them much. Despite that, when they were walked a lot, he was still itching. Momma's bout to pull her hairs out ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts