Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Daisy (she is not the Chi, but my new puppy) licks her pee!! I have heard of them eating poo sometimes, but in all my years of having dogs I have never had one that does this. She often does it in the litterbox after she pees, and I tell her no, but am afraid she will think No about peeing in the box too!

Any suggestions??? She has also licked the rug after an accident on it.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
awww it sounds likie she is maybe trying to get rid of her scent or so you dont see it or smething - not sure though - what breed is she ? :wave:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
My Tader is a poop eater & the sad thing is he doesnt even care if its his the nasty dog!! I brush his teeth daily because of this. Ive never heard of licking pee though maybe she is trying to hide it so she wont get in trouble. Do you get on to her if she doesnt go where she is supposed to? What kind of dog is she?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
the only help I can find on the net for you is this :

basically this man has the same problem and asked the online vet what to do or if he heard of this this was the answer from the vet :

"There isn't much information that I can find on dogs that will urinate and then lick or drink the urine. The
only references I can find to this suggest that it is a learned behavior in some dogs that are constantly penned when young (usually pet store dogs) and that it occurs in other situations in which excessive boredom is likely. Some people have associated this behavior with hormonal changes in unspayed female dogs but I don't know if there is really any data to support that
association.

The only treatment options that I have seen for this is to use amitriptyline (Elavil Rx) or clomipramine (Clomicalm Rx). I am not sure what the rational is behind using these medications, though."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is a Yorkie/Westie mix. I don't think she is trying to hide it, because she seems to like it! Also, I don't really get on her when she pees, I basically take her and put her in the box and she sits down and looks up at me like she hasn't a clue!!! she is making it to the box about 50% of the time, and this is after 4 weeks. I guess that is not too bad, but anyway I am getting off track!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was searching for info on this, sorry if it's annoying to revivie an old thread. Louie has gotten into the habit of wanting to lick his pee too! I don't think he's ever been kept in a pen with his own urine, and he's not trying to hide it -- he does it when it's outdoors. I've only ever told him he's a good boy for going potty, any accidents have just been treated calmly and without comment. He's also eaten his own poo once or twice. AND he licks himself after he goes pee, sometimes to the point of embarrasment. I find the whole thing just gross!

On a somewhat related note, Louie met an adult male chi the other day, and his owner and I had some awkward moments where Louie was practically glued to the other dog's wee wee like he thought it was his mama's nipple. It was quite embarrassing, I hoped if I didn't comment he would stop, but it was more than a friendly sniff, you know? Is he totally weird?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Gracie does the same thing. I think she might be trying to hide it more though...I'm not sure though. She'll lick pee if she goes indoors, but doesn't if she's out. But she'll try to eat poop no matter where! And when she is going she always turns around, like she's checking to make sure its coming out okay or something! Dogs are so weird & gross sometimes!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Stella, is traind to pee on a wee wee pad , everytime she pees she ALWAYS goes back to sniff it & ocassionally lick it , I laug because its almost like , she s checking to see that the pee is still there. Its so funny

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mylo has done this a couple of times he peed then goes to sniff it and licks a bit of it then, makes a wierd face like "eww tastes weird". he doesnt do it much now but did wen he was squatting and not lifting his leg. I dnt no y they do it, but it doest hurt them, i guess its just something some dogs do. I just tols mylo NO when he licked it, and he soon got outta the habit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts