Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry to bother all of you again. :notworthy: . I am getting a puppy in 16 days. At first it is supposed to be this week, but the breeder has to hold him again for 2 weeks for his shot.

Anyway, my puppy is going to be with me at night but in the morning, when i go to work i will put him in my bf apt. I will lock him in his crate (there is drink and food in there). And when my bf roomate wake up or my bf returned from work (which is 3 hours earlier that me), my bf or his roomate will let him out to play with him.
Then it got me wondering, if i am the one who locked him up all the time and my bf or his roomate is the one that let him out. Will he hate me? :cry:

It freak me out to think that he will hate me and love my bf or his roomate more. :oops:

·
Registered
466 Posts
He won't hate you. I have to do something very similar with my Chi and she's very attached to me!! Also, I've heard it's not good to leave food in the crate, but that decision is ENTIRELY up to you. Just thought I'd mention. :wink:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree as long as someone will feed and water her you shouldnt leave it in the crate . It will encourage them to go potty in the crate. good luck with your new pup. do you have any pics of the one your going to get?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I know it feels cruel to lock her up in a small place but she should actually learn to love her crate. Don't worry, she won't hate you! Just be sure to give her lots of cuddles and fun-time when you are home. :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I agree, we actually encourage new puppy owners to use the create a lot because it can help in potty training. Dogs will not mess where they sleep or where they eat, which is why crate training works so well with potty training. The big mistake people make is buying a crate that is too big. All they really need is a crate just large enough for the pup to sit in, stand up, turn around, and lie down. Too much room will just encourage the dog to mess at one end and sleep on the other.
Food might actually be a good thing to put into the crate at first too because dogs will most likely not mess where they eat. It will also show the dog that the create is a safe place. NEVER punish your dog by sticking him/her in the create...that will ruin them and they will never want to be in it.
All of my dogs (and my mothers) are create trained and they LOVE it. They go into their creates at night without us telling them to. If they arent in bed by the time we are going to bed all we need to say is "Okay guys beddie-bye time" and they all run into their creates.
Sorry I went on a little too long there. I had a obedience class tonight and had this conversation with two new puppy owners.
Anyway, your pup will not hate you. Just make sure your pup is getting plenty of food/water, and potty breaks!
Good luck!!!!
Jessica

1 - 7 of 7 Posts