Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
In my opinion I dont think so just as long as they dont become posessive of you or have seperation anxiety. So just share and crate.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My Jaxx loves to be on our laps. He doesn't sit on our laps all the time we are home but he does like to be with us a lot. At first I thought it would be bad for him to be in our laps all the time but he is happy and content when he is alone as well.
I think as long as they are happy, healthy, and do okay when you are away then it is okay to let them sit in your lap.
The only thing you might consider is letting other people hold him as well when he wants loving. This way he will get used to other people and not get too attached to you.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This is a chihuahua trait. It's why people love them so much. They are bred as companion dogs, they need to be with/on their humans. As long as you are not carrying them everywhere, this is fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ditto everyone else here.. Chis are lapdogs. lol It's also a boy thing. All 3 of my boys like a lot of holding time while my girls are much more independent.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If so, then two of mine will be ruined.
Hope is very independent and while she likes to lay on me if I am on the couch or sleeping, she does not beg to be in my lap like Eden and Ruby.

Like the others said, they need to be comfortable being held by others and to learn that they can walk and there will be times that they have to lay on a blanket or bed because you cannot hold them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine is very attached to me. When other people hold her she tolerates it but she is watching me the whole time. She follows me everywhere, including to the bathroom. My husband doesn't want her on the bed so she cries and whines next to the bed if I'm in it. I crate her at night and she's fine when the lights are off but if they are on she whines.

I was going to make her ask to get on my lap every time. I don't do that anymore but if she isn't polite she goes down. She's a tiny thing (to me, she's 3 lbs 9 oz) but she can get on all of the couches and laps on her own. She can climb onto the bed too if the covers are loose.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I agree with everyone else, and I was going to say what Pam said that it is a chihuahua trait. They love to be held. I think in many cases they choose one person above all--for Lulu it's me--but they can enjoy everyone else in the household as well--Lulu loves everyone. I didn't do what everyone is daying though and socialize because I didn't know to and I am sorry now. Please do that. It is harder when they are older.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I thought that was the appeal TBH. Never suffering from a cold lap ever again!!LOL;)
Both of mine sit on me the second I sit down. I agree with the other posters though, its just a Chi thing! Just make sure that your dog isnt allowed to guard you or become possessive. Also dont carry them around too much outside (they seem to develop an inflated opinion of themselves if allowed to look down on everyone!!LOL):D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think they are fulfilling their little jobs by sitting and heating us up. They are little DOGS though and need to walk and run around just like any other canine. You might be walking with your chihuahua and they will look up at you with those "carry me" eyes, don't be fooled...they can outwalk most of us. LOL...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
YES! YES! & YES!! They easily get spoiled just like a child and they're worth it, but it can be a pain when you have things you have to do and your chi wants to be constantly getting comfortable on your lap. But I wouldn't have it any other way as this is the very reason I chose this breed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Have enjoyed reading them. Chachi is in my lap now. LOL I try not to hold him so much but EVERY time I sit down..he wants up in my lap. Sometimes I do decline him...but then feel bad. He even follows me to the bath room. I want him to be more independent of me, so I am going to have to make a conscious effort not to let him up, so much. I do hand him to my hubby and son, but he prefers me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts