Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just curious why? To stop diarrhea or to loosen constipation? It's a bulking agent so used for both conditions. However, I wouldn't give it every day, I would want to address the underlying problem if possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been giving her some to help her loose poos. I agree that it is best to find the underlying problem and we are working on that part. I wasn't sure if I should keep her on it for a bit since her poos are back to normal or if I should stop giving it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If they're back to normal I would stop giving it. That's the only way you'll actually know if whatever the underlying cause is actually gone. Pumpkin just stops the symptoms. As in, if you stop giving the pumpkin and she gets loose poops again without any other factors changing; you'll know that there's actually something that's causing it (as opposed to the runs from just eating something a bit off). Could be a parasite or bacterial digestive problem.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Pumpkin is useful as a bandaid.

What are you feeding?

Have you tried a probiotic?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted here about Minnie's eating. If the runny poos come back when she is off the pumpkin we will again switch her food. We are getting samples from TOTW, Wellness and Natural balance and I am going to try the grain free ones first. As in the above linked post - we have been feeding her 1/8 cup of Natural Balance canned food mixed with pumpkin - split between the 6am and 5pm feeding and 1/8 cup of Natural Balance Ultra split up between 3 feedings (11am, 3pm and 7pm). Her poos are much better and she is much happier. She hasn't had any pumpkin today and her poos are still normal. That is why I was asking about the pumpkin - wasn't sure if I should keep her on it or not but now I know it is better to take her off it and only use it when needed. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ah ha. OK, now I remember that thread. I would just stick with what is working and gradually phase out the pumpkin as you are doing. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
You could just put her on a daily Enzyme/and Probiotic/Prebiotic. :)
You can get three in one in tablet form/or powder form.
I'm currently hunting for a good enzyme/probiotic myself.
Blessings.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I give my pugs pumpkin every day (once a day) , it helps there 'glands'
Are you referring to anal glands?? I've got a friend with a chi who has to have them quite regularly expressed. I know he gives pumpkin once in a while for tummy probs per my advice lol; but had no idea it helped with anal gland problems as well. Do let me know if that's what you mean; and if you have any citing/links to advocate it because I would love to pass that on to him!

·
Banned
420 Posts
Hi, yes I mean there anal glands.. Pugs are prone to gland issues due to the shape of there rear ends (which are kinda flat) I give them pumpkin every day after reading about it on a pug forum, one of my pugs is a rescue so I've got no idea what she was fed as a puppy but when I got her her glands would 'leak!!!!! NOT nice!!!! Since she has had pumpkin & good quality food she is almost perfect & has perfect little poo's..

One thing to remember is pugs are a lot bigger than chi's so a little pumpkin every day isn't 'much' to a pug, never given it to my chi's every day as none of them have 'gland' issues so I have never felt the need .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts