Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay if they get a lot of baths as long as soap isn't always used? Like just a shower in water? I figure it is since its pretty much the same as swimming but wanted to make sure.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think any time you wet their skin it has potential to dry it out. Not sure where you are and what your weather is like but I would say if it is colder it would dry out the skin. I use wipes to keep odor's down in between baths and do not bathe mine much.

I am sure other's will chime in with what they do :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you have an urge to wash more often then a few times a year, i would invest in a doggy conditioner. its NOT a cure all, but it will help tone down the dry-ness.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I bathe Rico at least once a week in johnson's moisturizing baby bath--the pink stuff. always have and never had a problem. I keep the bath really quick. My dog also has unlimited water to drink and fish oils in his kibble--I think those things help with skin condition.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'd say be careful. It depends on your dog I guess. I have noticed that if I over wash my Yorkie/maltese (I know, shes not a chi lol but it may still apply) she ends up with a skin infection from being overly dry. I do tend to wash her more cuz she is longer fur then the chi's. But not sure if its that or if the yorkie would be THAT much diff then the chi's.
When she is overly washed (like once a month even) she ends up with a bald patch with some redish scales on it. Last time I took her to the vet and she had to get an antibiotic shot to help clear it up. I have noticed she has another patch (after my over washing her again due to the holidays and she got esp dirty in some garbage and then I had a friend over so she ended up with 3 baths in 3 months and now has that darned patch again :-()

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think swimming frequently would dry out their skin too. Anytime they get wet the water will take away some of the natural oils in their coat, making their skin drier. While it wont strip away as much oil as shampooing them would, I still wouldnt do it frequently.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I guess it depends on the dog. I was hoping water wouldn't matter, I hate dog smell.

I have noticed that if I over wash my Yorkie/maltese (I know, shes not a chi lol but it may still apply) she ends up with a skin infection from being overly dry.
I actually have maltese and yorkies (no chi yet) and I have to not wash them very often because of the dry skin problem. Years ago I remember some of them getting itchy if they had too many baths.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, I guess it depends on the dog. I was hoping water wouldn't matter, I hate dog smell.

I actually have maltese and yorkies (no chi yet) and I have to not wash them very often because of the dry skin problem. Years ago I remember some of them getting itchy if they had too many baths.
Try one of the conditioning sprays. I got one made for me a while back at Bath Junkie and it's a spray on moisturizing conditioner basically that makes them smell good. Helps keep them soft and reduces my urge to wash them.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Amandarose...thnaks for the reminder lol I may grab some of that stuff again. I forgot. I used to have a conditioning spray I used to use on my Yorkie/maltese because she had long fur and it made it easier to brush her and it kept her so soft and smelling fresh (I hate dog smell too lol) but then I stopped using it cuz we started keeping her fur cut shorter....she looked so much better with short fur and it was easier to keep her maintained, brush wise and back end fur accidents if you know what I mean lol But anyway, i should pick some more up to at least help with the dry skin :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts