Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am the very new and very proud owner of my first chihuahua puppy (and first puppy ever!). I have numerous questions but have been able to find a lot of answers to those in these forums (thank you everyone!!!).

Once question is specific to my little girl - I'm wondering if anyone can help predict how long her coat may be. She doesn't look like many of the pictures of long hair chihuahua puppies, but both of her parents had just a bit of long hair around their faces and ears, not super fluffy like many of the long haired photos I'm finding online.

She doesn't appear to have any real ear tufts, but her hair is longer on her chest and she has a ridge of some longer and lighter fur along the bottom of her tail. I've read descriptions of both long hair and short hair puppies online, but I can't figure out which descriptions seem most like her! I read somewhere that long haired chihuahuas can only have long haired puppies, but elsewhere have read that it's common for long haired pups to have long haired babies but not 100%.

Please let me know if you have any ideas! I'm just overflowing with curiosity about how my little bean will look when she grows up. She was born all black, but the brindle-like markings have come with age.

Pic below - thank you for reading!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to you and your little girl, who is adorable.. I'm unable to answer your question definitively. We have two smooth coat boys and one long coat boy. I can say that it was very obvious at a young age which type of coat each would have as an adult. Buster, our long coat, had 3 siblings who were all short hairs, He was the only long hair in his litter, and both parents were long coats..
However, is grandmother was short haired. When we got him at 7 weeks old, he was already showing the tail of a long coat, feet tuffs of a long coat, and the ear leather of a long coat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much chideb! Your post was really helpful just knowing that two long haired pups could have short haired babies - I had found conflicting info about that but your real life example settles that! Also interesting to know that the long haired characteristics were there for your boy at 7 weeks. Thank you again for taking the time to reply:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on your pup. She is so adorable. The coat of a chihuahua changes quite a bit I the first 18 months. The coloring, the length etc, but it does look like she may be a medium coat chi. Does her hair seem a little on the thicker sides? we have always had long coats and each chi has varied somewhat. We now have added a short coat mix. She is 7 months old and her hair is thickening with tufts at her derrière!
the first pic is with my old girl who passed last summer and the second with our new little one. Hope that helps on coats a little!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello!

I am the very new and very proud owner of my first chihuahua puppy (and first puppy ever!). I have numerous questions but have been able to find a lot of answers to those in these forums (thank you everyone!!!).

Once question is specific to my little girl - I'm wondering if anyone can help predict how long her coat may be. She doesn't look like many of the pictures of long hair chihuahua puppies, but both of her parents had just a bit of long hair around their faces and ears, not super fluffy like many of the long haired photos I'm finding online.

She doesn't appear to have any real ear tufts, but her hair is longer on her chest and she has a ridge of some longer and lighter fur along the bottom of her tail. I've read descriptions of both long hair and short hair puppies online, but I can't figure out which descriptions seem most like her! I read somewhere that long haired chihuahuas can only have long haired puppies, but elsewhere have read that it's common for long haired pups to have long haired babies but not 100%.

Please let me know if you have any ideas! I'm just overflowing with curiosity about how my little bean will look when she grows up. She was born all black, but the brindle-like markings have come with age.

View attachment 56015
Your little girl is adorable!! When I first got Katie I could see some long hair but not much, as she got bigger her long hair started to show and she adorable, I could just gobble her up with love!😂
She is also my first Chihuahua and puppy. She is now 2 years old.
B80ED7FC-CCDF-4361-94A3-D8C35316839E.jpeg
B80ED7FC-CCDF-4361-94A3-D8C35316839E.jpeg

Hello!

View attachment 56015

1 - 9 of 9 Posts