Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally in love with my 2 year old little fur baby Mimi. I got her from a rescue 1 year ago. She absolutely loves me and is always following me and in my lap. Which I LOVE!
Anyway, I am looking at adopting a second chi from a rescue group. He is 4-5 years old. The group says he loves to be held and talked to, and even watches tv! He is a really laid back guy and gets along with everyone.
Now, here is my dilemma, will I be upsetting Mimi by introducing this new guy who also likes laps? Do most chis instantly get along? I have a female boxer that Mimi trys to play with, but the boxer is getting up in years and doesn't play much. Mimi really liked my male boxer, Lennox, but he passed away from cancer about 3 weeks ago. He played with her alot.
I want another little chi companion, and hopefully someone Mimi will like to hang with. But, I don't want to lose her constant companionship!
What do you guys think? Will she become more attached to another chi than with me?
I don't want to become jealous!!!:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
All three of my chis like to be on people. Bailey and Oreo were fine together from day one(6 months apart). When I got pinky 6 months after getting Oreo, Bailey started fighting with oreo. Oreo thought pinky was her baby and needed protecting from Bailey. Oreo still cleans pinkys face for her. It really is going to depend on the dogs. Some days I miss when it was just Bailey and me. I feel guilty just taking Bailey out and taking all three is a project lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mine didn't get along at all at first, they're about a year and a half apart, but with slow "happy interactions" they'll be fast friends i'm sure.

Mine are inseparable.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I say go for it! I like the idea that's mentioned quite a bit here about when you do adopt the boy chi, introduce Mimi and the boy chi on neutral territory like at the park or something. I strongly believe this is a great idea and makes the interaction easier for all three of you. I'm very excited for you. I think you'll be so happy you adopted him. Can't wait for pics.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I worried about this SO much before I got our second chi. I wouldnt worry at all that she will prefer him to you, but I do think its possible that he might prefer her to you. Reese was my first chi and we are very very bonded, always together. I think Reese is special, but I also think I have a different relationship with him than with my other two. They love to cuddle up with me and play with me, but they also spend a lot of time playing together. Reese will play with them occasionally, but would rather be with me- he is just more people oriented and interested in us than they are, and I think it must be because I had him first. Miley and Leo spend more time together than with me, they love us but also love being together.
I was so scared before I got Miley that Reese would be devastated, would never forgive me, etc. Because I was so worried about it, I asked my fiance when I brought Miley home to give her the most attention, so I could focus on Reese. That way it minimized just how much her arrival changed his little world b/c he still got to be mommas boy. If you have someone to help you thats what Id suggest, but even if you dont just try to make sure that you still make a fuss over Mimi so she isnt as jealous. Thats what worked for us (although he may well have been fine either way, lol).
Just make sure you get him for you mostly. When I had just Reese I lived with roommates and they had two big dogs who he really liked to play with, but I thought hed rather play with a chi who was his own size etc. Not really, he would still rather play fetch with me by himself, if the other chis are playing he will just watch. Mimi might love playing with the new guy, but she might ignore him too. Reese doesnt MIND having the other chis, but Im not sure how much he would really miss them if they were gone lol.
Did you already apply for him?? Can we see pics? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mimi

Roscoe

This is the picture of Roscoe on the rescue site. I have not been able to meet him yet, but I am so excited!

Mimi has given me so much pleasure and love, I thought why stop with just one! And, I have a serious soft spot for rescued animals...I want to show them how good people can be!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think everyone worries about this when adding their second. Yoshi is my heart dog and I worried about this too, even lost sleep over it. At the same time I knew he needed someone as he was alone some during the day. I introduced Chibi and they get along perfectly. I havent lost any love from Yoshi although he does seem jealous on occasion so I have to make sure he gets plenty of attention and they are treated equally. I am happy with my decision :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I tried posting pictures but I guess it didn't work.
I took Roscoe home today! That was the name they gave him at the Rescue group. I do plan on changing it. He just doesn't look like a Roscoe. He is a chubby little thing! Mimi has the deer head shape and is about 5 lbs. Roscoe has the apple head shape and is about 10 pounds! They are both the same height and length too! Mimi is black and tan, Roscoe is all tan. He really is just a lover. The lady at the rescue said he walks but prefers to be carried. He looks like he could use some excercise. I will take it very slow with that.
So far Mimi is wanting to play, play, play. But he is wanting to lay on my lap and just study everyone and everything. Maybe he will play when he gets used to everything. I know he is going through quite a change right now.
The rescue group said someone just dropped him off! I don't know why they would do that! He seems so sweet!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Oh thats so exciting! How is Mimi taking to him so far?
I dont doubt that he prefers being carried to being walked, if hes over weight its probably uncomfortable for him to walk! An extra pound or two on a chi is such a burden for their little bodies. I bet he enjoys playtime and walks a lot once youve managed to get the extra weight off him. You may find that he gets more playful in a few days once he has settled in, sometimes it takes them a little while to feel comfortable enough to show their full personality.
Congrats! Sounds like you and Mimi are both loving your new family member :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Mimi and ,yet to be named, will get along great. He was just following her around everywhere last night. I took him for a little walk last night and he just sat right down when he didn't want to walk anymore. Like I said, we will take this slow.
I have never seen such a laid back chi before! He is even scared of my 2 cats!
When I got up this morning, he and Mimi were spooning on the bed. So sweet!
I have got to figure out how to post pictures so I can get some help with choosing his name!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I worried the same thing with my Shayley. I had Shayley 6 1/2 years before I got little Kizzie who was a puppy who needed LOTS OF ATTENTION! lol Shayley was and still is my shadow but instead of one shadow now I have two. Shayley expected Kizzie and still loves me with all her heart. I wouldn't worry too much! Congrats and good luck with the new baby!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww he is so sweet!
Glad you took him home.
Am sure they will be best buds very soon.

Cant think oif a name right now though sorry. x

·
Registered
410 Posts
aww he looks adorable! im sure they will get on just fine and if there is a little jealousy then you could use this technique --- whenever Roscoe is in the room then give mimi treats and then take roscoe away and stop giving her treats, repeat this a couple times a day so then she realises that roscoe = treats= good :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a good idea with the treats! I will try that. I am giving them both the same amount of attention. I have changed his name to Bogart. We call him Bogie. I am a big old time movie buff! He is not into playing much, but that is okay - I still wrestle and play with Mimi. I am having him all checked out at the vet tomorrow. Rescuing animals is so rewarding!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It sounds like things are going well! That's great!

Sometimes I think it's easier to add an older dog than a pup...I know Pedro gets fed up with Gracie and her antics at times, but he's been great with her, and the older she gets, the better friends they become.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts