Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My puppy doesn't like his crate or being alone at all! Also at 6 and a 1/2 weeks what toys do they really like to play with? Mine prefers to chew the rugs over his toys.

Also do I leave him all night in his crate? Or do I take him out sometimes?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well at 6 1/2 weeks he is still a tiny lil thing...he should still be with his mommy and litter mates!!! So that could be why he is so upset, poor little guy got taken away before he was ready...

I would suggest putting his crate next to your bed, so when he cries you can soothe him by sticking your hand in their, then he knows your right next to him....Gizmo was in his basket/crate all night long...of course when he cried I would take him outside to pee and then back to bed...I never used pee pee pads so that's why i took him out. If you use pee pee pads have one next to the bed so you can just scoop him out of his crate onto the pad and then back to bed....

For the crying, You could also try one of those heart pillows that simulate a beating heart...I never personally used one but it could be worth a try...

http://thepuppyshop.com/heartbeat.html

Also here are an array of stuff for puppies...I got Giz a bunch of toys from here when I first got him because most places, the toys are too big for tiny ones...

http://thepuppyshop.com/espup.html

See ya! :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with the crate part.. I didn't crate train Gadget.. he was way to tiny to put in a crate.. My heart wouldn't let my brain to it... I did how ever have him in a little bed(a box) then I got him a fuzzy bed and put it in a laundry basket and after he started to try climbing out of that I made him a pen it was right next to our bed... He would always fall asleep on my chest after he ate his last meal of the night and then after he slept on me for a while I put him in his little bed and tucked him in...

Then when he got older I turned his pen into steps and put his bed and food and water and his potty pad on each step... (They are big steps) he loved it because he could go from our bed to his and then down to his food/water and then to his potty pad any time he wanted... It helped in the potty training tooo...

He is 7 1/2 months and almost totally potty trained outside now... He has a potty pad in the bathroom so when we have to leave him home he has something to use...

You might want to try a pplay pen or a x pen or something that has the top open.. he might not like being so closed in...

Do you have him in your room at night with you? he might like to feel the closeness if possible...

I know that if I was that little I would like closeness to my mommy and daddy...

When Gadget was smaller I gave him a really soft toy christmas elf... he loved it... and I also got him one of those rope bones.. he loved it so muchI made him a few of them.. I took strips of fleece and braided it and tide knots in the ends left some strips at the ends.. One of them he plays with so much that it looks like it is 100 years old... but I keep giving his others to him and he does play with them but he alwasy ends up playing with his favorite one.. I also made him a couple out of yarn... he loves those... I also gave him a little hacky sack of Amanda's (she didn't miss it because she has so many) then I taught him to fetch with it.. it is soft enough for his little mouth to grab it... he still likes to play with it...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
You might want to try a pplay pen or a x pen or something that has the top open.. he might not like being so closed in...
I forgot to add that...I bought a crate for Gizmo and he hated it, so my hubby got him a big laundry basket from Walmart and that's what he slept, and still sleeps in...it is his little home and he LOVES it...in fact as I started typing this, the basket is next to me in the office, and he comes in the office and paws at me, then pawed at the basket...so I put him in it and he went to sleep....

So maybe your baby could benefit from an open top crate, or basket...I got Gizmo a playpent but he peed in it as it was too big and he deignated a spot as his pee pee spot...LOL...we ended up sticking with the basket, which he can jump out of I might add but he doesn;t as he knows that would upset mummy... :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I never used the heart pillow that Gizmo's mom was talking about but you can put a wind-up alarm clock (the kind that ticks loudly) in his bedding and it will do the same thing. You might also consider a heating pad under the bedding, set on low, so he feels the warmth along with the "heartbeat". Maybe a stuffed animal about the size of his birth mom would help too.

Cooper didn't enjoy his crate at first, either. It came with a DVD on how to crate train your pooch so I finally broke down and watched it after a few days. They suggested getting a toy that is for the crate only ... use the toy to coax the pup into the crate, then praise them for going inside. Continue that practice by letting him stay in the crate with the toy for a few minutes, then take him out with more praise, etc. Wash, rinse and repeat if necessary. :) When the pup is used to going in the kennel and seems happy with it, keep the toy on top or in a secret location and they'll be "happy" to get in their crate when you show it to them. I don't know how well that works; Cooper stopped screaming after the 1st or 2nd night I tried the "technique" and I ditched the toy and the whole idea.

You might also try putting on some soft soothing music on low volume while he's in there. I'm also a big believer in massage and you might want to try putting him in his bed inside the crate and reaching in and massaging his back so he gets used to being all mellow and chilled out. He'll probably fall asleep (wouldn't you?), then you can close the door and go on your way. If massage works on him, his mind will eventually associate the crate with the calm of the massage and he'll just go to sleep (at least, that's the theory).

He's so young - I'm assuming you have pee pads in the kennel with him. If so, there really isn't a reason to take him out during the night, unless you just can't stand it anymore. Otherwise, I suggest ear plugs. :)

Darn, I sure do have a lot to say today. Just be lucky y'all don't live with me and have to listen to this all the time. :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He will be sleeping in the kitchen, beside the fridge because my boyfriend has to be able to sleep. He has newspapers on the floor and his kennel which we will prob leave open so he can go to his food and water or potty. We use cardboard for walls and that seems to keep him away from anything dangerous. If anyone has any other good ideas for seperating an area for a puppy let me know. I like that basket idea. I may try that! I put a couple of toys in his area but he just isn't really into toys. He really likes to cuddle right now. I dont know if Im making him more into a baby by holding him so much or if its good for him?? Am I spoiling him by holding him close. He comes right up to me and will step on my foot so I can pick him up. He really enjoys being in someones arms. Thanks... oh yeah and should he just be drinking water? or does he still need milk then?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would ask the vet about the water/milk issue. Someone said in another thread (sorry, I can't remember who!) that they gave their pup goat's milk when they were young. He is so young but probably old enough to be weened off mother's milk - I'd let the vet make that decision.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
awww at six weeks it's still a little baby who has to be with it's mother :?
the first weeks they are very attached, i carried each one of mine in my sweater for two weeks :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I see no reason to not cuddle with him right now...just don't pick him up whenever he starts to whine...meaning carry him/cuddle after he stops crying....because if not he will associate crying with "Mommy's gonna come now and hug me!"

I cuddled Gizmo alot when I got him, but I also left him alone in his basket too...you have to balance it out...he has to learn that being alone is ok, and his crate or basket is his little sanctuary

I was firm...when he cried in his basket (if I left the room he would freak) I would tell him from the other room Gizmo mommy is here...quiet...in a firm tone...eventually he learned to quiet down, that I wasn't going anywhere...and he also realized if he stopped crying mommy would pick him up!!! I never picked him up when he cried just because we left him alone in hsi basket...

I don't think they need milk at 6 1 /2 weeks...they already eat food by this time...I do recommend to get Nutrical just in case...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget was totally off formula when he was 5 weeks... he didn't want it any more and the vet said it was ok as long as he was eating and drinking water..

I never had a problemw ith Gadget whining when he was in his bed.. the problem I had was when I went into the bathroom and closed the door, or I went outside and closed the door...

I would have to leave the house while Mark or amanda distracted him...
It worked..... now when I leave he sits by the door the whole time I am gone... nobody can get him to do anything but sit there...

He goes with me every where now...

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
awwwww at that age he is prob stil missing his mummy loads poor lil man give him lots of loving but not on demand other wise he will know how to get his way mind you mine all do since iv had ruby she always wants to get up at 6 in the morning and screams til she gets her own way the joys of puppy hood lol i love it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is your puppy still crying all the time?

I just got my first chi, she is 6 months old, and cries ALL THE TIME.
She cries even when I'm in her sight, but when I'm out of her sight, even just around the corner, she will howl up a storm.

This is honestly driving me a little crazy, and my neighbors are starting to complain, because she never stops. And their house isn't even attached to mine.

she also will not go up or down stairs, so if I'm on a different floor of the house than her, she goes crazy. I don't want to carry her with me into every room I go to, because I don't want to have her get used to it being ok that she does this.

I have the back entry hall blocked off for her, with her food, water, bed and pee pad, so she is confined to a smaller area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would try sticking a towel or toy in your shirt for a bit while you're doing your chores around the house so it gets your scent on it. Maybe if you put that in her bedding or general area, she'll cuddle up in it.

It does take them a while to get accustomed to their new surroundings though. She's probably just scared ... and the stairs probably scare her even more. I'm sure I wouldn't want to hop up and down something that was taller than me! :)

Give her time ... once she's comfortable in the house, she'll chill out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that my puppy is now starting to like his crate a bit. A ticking clock has helped him a lot!! He pees and poops outside mostly even though he is soooo little! Im so proud of him, I hope it stays this way!!!! He still cries but i think its gettin better.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that ... both for the puppy AND for you! It just takes a little creativity and patience (both of which I have limited quantities of).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If Jolie cries,, mommy holds her. Period. I do love me a spoiled rotten baby! :D I will say this....all the holding, loving, petting, spoiling and pampering has not interfered with her learning that she has to go to the crate when i have to go to work or just need time to do something besides hold her. I did not however spring the crate on her for the first few days. I held her day and night, (sleeping in my recliner) until she felt secure in her new home. Then i put her in her crate for a few minutes while i showered. I made her crate cozy with a little bed, food and water and one toy. (I've had Jolie since July 9th.) I even left the tv on for the first week. Now she immediately goes to her bed when i put her in the crate. My methods may not be appealing for everyone but this is what works for me and my chis. No stress for either of us! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I was getting pretty frustrated, but it's definitely getting better. I think I see light.

Today she was sleeping peacefully when I came home from work. I had to wake her up :)
I put a pillowcase in her bed with her, one that I'd slept on for a few days. I also left the radio on for her, and confined her in the bathroom (farthest away from the neighbors).
she was really excited to see me, I took her outside and played with her. Now she's curled up on my lap snoozing (and NOT crying!!!!)

thank you everyone

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Sounds like good times. I'm glad things are back on track... there's nothing like a happy puppy!! Except maybe a relieved puppy Mom and/or Dad!! :thumbleft:

·
Registered
34 Posts
:wave: I have found that Chi's are excellent at training their owners :lol: The first Chi I got, I put her in a playpen and she cried all night long for a couple of days, then she got used to it. I made sure I checked on her just in case there was something wrong but she was fine. A Chi's nature is to be held and fussed over all the time. I let them sleep with me if they are really having a hard time then they graduate to sleeping in their pen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts