Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.. my little Willow is on heat for the first time and isn't really one year old yet. My boy brambles keeps harassing her and won't leave her alone (obviously). What should i do to stop him from doing this because i don't want her to have babies until she's two years old..

And how long does her heat last for? is it a week?

and does anybody recommend Nupro dog supplements for nutrition and to help stop hair shedding?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The heat lasts three weeks. I have one not spayed, Twiggy. As soon as she starts showing that she is in heat, she goes in a crate on top of my 5 foot tall tv stand for the next three weeks. It's a pain in the butt, but she is much too small to be bred and handicapped. I let her outside by herself, she barks when she needs to go out. Being in heat, they pee often and mark all over the back yard. Make sure your backyard is thoroughly chi proof and other dog proof as she will be trying to get out and all the neighborhood stray males will be trying to get in. The ONLY way to guarantee she will not get pregnant is to keep the two dogs away from each other totally for the entire three weeks.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The only solution is to keep them apart. If you can send your boy to stay with family or friends, it will be much easier for both of you. If not, you need crates, gates, and constant supervision.
She will be in season for about 3 weeks, she will allow dogs to mate her from the second week. Males will be interested in her long before she is interested in them, as you have already discovered!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Board your boy. With a friend, a doggy day care, a vet. Get him out of the house. It only takes a minute for him to tie with her and you have a pregnancy. He will pace, whine, cry, go off his food, and literally be miserable for the next 3 weeks. It's not worth it. Dogs can breed through crates. They can breed through chain link fences. They will chew through doors. I am not exaggerating. Get him out of the house or you will be slinking back here in a few weeks saying that got together for just a minute and now you are expecting puppies.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The only sure fire way to make sure she doesn't get pregnant is to have her spayed because she will be very determined to find a male and males will be determined to get to her. And get your boy out of the house ASAP. Accidents can and do happen despite precautions. Tracy is right, they will chew through doors, go through fences, climb furniture. I even know one male that chewed through a wall to get to a female in heat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone.. yes i will definitely be separating them for the next 3 weeks.

Also when my little willow is on heat i have also notice that her teets are swelling also.. is this common?

·
Banned
177 Posts
Yes it's normal for her teats to swell and remain swollen after...

If she is bleeding when she stops it does nt mean her heat is over just she has ovulated.. I would send your boy or her away zzz

You said you do not want her to have puppies until she is 2.... You need to do some extensive research into oestrus and breeding, whelping etc.. The book of the bitch is a good start it's a bit old school but there is some info. You should get her breeder to advise you.. Since its clear by your posts you are very new to having an intact female.

Please also research pyometra which is a deadly infection that intact bitches can get after their season..

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Heat can last MUCH longer than 3 weeks, you need to look up the signs to know for sure what indicates she is out of heat. I just had a bitch be in heat for 7 weeks *bangs head on wall* for her first heat. Sometimes first heats last longer and are messier.

You need to crate one of the dogs in a different room behind a closed door. Sorry if that is upsetting, but there really is not another way to approach it. It's part of having intact dogs.

Before you breed, I hope you will take this next year to research and learn whether or not your girl and/or boy are of breeding quality. At least one of them should be show worthy as well, and both should be registered with AKC or the registry of your country. You also will want to get them screened for patellas, cardiac and eye (CERF) problems. You probably also want to run a blood test on your female, in order to ensure she can safely carry the puppies. Keep in mind your bitch can die from pregnancy complications or c-section complications. Puppies can and do die. In chis, it is more than just oooo cute, puppies appeared one day! It is a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
C-sections are very commin with Chis because the are so small. Definitely do some serious reseach before you breed her. Breeding a Chi is not the same as any other breed. Puppies get stuck in the bkrth canal while coming out breech, c-sections, infections, and many other things are very very common with Chihuahuas.
Make sure they are healthy enough for breeding and are not passing down genetic faults to their off spring.

As far a her being in heat, it can last longer than three wks. Olivias are usually 4-5 weeks. Your boy may even start marking. Crating is a good a idea in a seperate room. She is going drive him crazy, he will most likely whine, cry, pace, and annoy the hell out of you for the next few weeks, so finding a trusted friend or family member for one of them to stay with is best. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts