Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Any suggestions on getting a puppy to eat from a bowl rather that you having to sit there and feed him piece by piece? Winston will eat heaps if you feed him by hand but he never touches the kibble I leave him with and he looks a bit scared if you put him down in front of a bowl. I'm sure the breeder wasn't feeding him by hand so I don't know what's up and how to fix it?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
What type of bowl do you use? We had the same problem with both Toby and Rocky- we sprinkled a bit of water on the food. Now they both eat out of the bowl no problem. Maybe put a few treats in the bowl to encourage him to not be scared of it? I don't know. I hope someone has better advice for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has a metal bowl that sits in another plastic bowl that has legs so it doesn't slip around (I'm probably not explaining that well). I wet the kibble and ZP I give him and he has raw beef mince too (which he loves and will eat haps of if you feed it by hand) and it doesn't make a difference, he still won't eat it. Sometimes he will take a piece or two out of the bowl and then he runs away but if you hold him he will eat the lot - weird! My other two have always inhaled anything yu put in front of them. It just means that I can't leave him alone with a bowl of food and expect him to eat it which is a pain if I want to skip comming home at lunchtime one day.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Cricket refuses to eat from her bowl, but I know she was hand fed. I feed her from a paper plate. She eats from that. I guess cause she associates with people food.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it a big bowl? Lucky is more comfortable eating out a ramekin..(did I spell that out right?) it's where souffles are baked in...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I agree with Christie. We had to resort to a plate with Gidget for a while-then bowl-then back to plate...who knows what next. Lulu ate for a while out of her ceramic bowls but doesn't like when the food gets to the side. She has a favorite glas bowl with a wide mouth. If the mouth isn't wide enough she doesn't want to put her head in it. Now in the past 2 days she has taken to wanting a plate--go figure. I said all that to say you may have to try lots of things. Some may say that is spoiling IMO it's just a few seconds of time and a little washing to find what works.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
What type of bowl is it? Maybe it is too big for him or he can see a
reflection in it. I would try another bowl before hand feeding him. Don't start hand feeding him unless you plan to do it forever!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
It could just be a type of bowl that he hasn't been introduced to yet. Odie hates stainless steel bowls. Even when we're at the dog park and she's been running forever, she won't drink from the steel bowl. Have you tried using a different kind? He could just be scared of it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try the plate for his lunch today. I tried a plastic container when the metal bowl didn't work and he wasn't a fan of that either. I think half of my problem is that he's not particularly food motivated. When I put the food right in front of his face he will eat it but he's more interested in playing and exploring than food whereas the others are complete chow hounds who can tell from the other end of the house when I open the treat drawer rather than the drawer above or below it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That could be because he is still young? I had a hard time with Cricket when I first got her too because she ate people food for so long (not healthy food either) that getting her to eat dog food was hard, but she finally did.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Progress was made. He ate a few bits off the plate when it was on the floor but he kept running off wanting to play. Then I sat with both him and the plate on my lap and he ate about 90% of his food without me having to feed him - yay!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I keep some of Carlos' dogfood in little empty containers (margarine, etc.) He eats mostly in the evening. I put several bites at a time on the inside of the lid and he sits on my lap and eats. I just keep putting more bites and he eats well like that. Spoiled I guess, but I don't mind. He is in my lap every time I sit down anyway! Lol

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When we first got Chloe she wouldn't eat out of a metal bowl. We found she did fine with plastic. After a few weeks when she was more comfortable and less scared of everything in general we could use the metal bowl. I think she was scared of it at first.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think he was a little scared of the bowl but now I've seen him eat for a few days I think the bigger problem is that he's teething really bad (that's why he has floppy ears and he's chewing of stuff 24/7) and also he has a really tiny short muzzle so he can only eat tiny bits of food. He might need a bit of help eating for a few more weeks until his teeth sort themselves out and he grows a bit and can manage bigger bits of food.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts