Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Winston went for what I thought would be his last vaccination today, but it turns out the vaccinations he got from the breeder didn't have the kennel cough vaccine in them so he has to have another shot in 4 weeks. He was so good! The vet put some treats on the table and he just ate those and didn't seem to notice his shot. No vaccine reaction like my other two so that was a relief. The vet said he looked in great shape and very healthy so that was good to hear. The little chunky nugget is already 1.5kg or 3.3lb at 20 weeks, not sure what that charts as but the breeder told me he would be small and compact, my other two are more the long and lean body type.

Ax came along since he hadn't been weighed in about 4 months, Chloe was also weighed yesterday at her emergency visit and lo and behold they are both 2.1kg or 4.6lb - I guess since they're half siblings and have the same diet and exercise I shouldn't be surprised. Craig and I were just debating the other day whether Ax or Chloe was bigger (I thought Chloe was bigger, he said Ax was) so at least we know now.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Bah humbug - kennel cough only lasts them for 1 year and it's an absolute crock!!! It only protects against very few strains of 100's of strains of KC that are out there - my Mastiffs escaped, dog catcher got them, I chased his car to the pound ... they were in a holding cell for 10 mins prior to being brought out to me (after I'd shelled out $100's to the nasty, sarcastic little man behind the counter) and BOTH ended up with a dose of KC. A quick & simple course of meds from the Vet and they're all fixed. It's really nothing more than like us getting a nasty cold, no biggie at all when caught & treated early & it's not like it's not obvious.

The ONLY reason I'd ever get KC done ever again was if I was going to put them in boarding kennels, & that would be done via the nasal inhaler method, not the intraveneous one. Just my 20 cents worth :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Glad Winston got a clean bill of health. None of my little dogs seem to mind getting their shots, my daughter's big dog yelps and tries to eat the vet. lol That is so cool Chloe and Ax are the same weight.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Do you have to get KC? Is there something in Aus that requires it? I ran into a few vets here that required it to do a spay/neuter. I didn't want to get Miya the KC vaccine so I found a new vet.

So cool that they are the same weight. It's awesome that they're family ya know. I'd love it if one of Miya's siblings lived with us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts