Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Chi's need booties in the winter months?

And if the answer is yes etc; does your Chi find it difficult to get used to them?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I worked with Chico and his boots... it takes time for them to adjust but he wears them now :) he probably doens't like them... but.... oh well :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I used Muttluks on my toy Poodle, but have not on the Chi's yet. They are fleece lined and fabulous! made in Canada. I found they were the best ones for staying put once on!

If you go for a lot of walks outside in the winter it's really advisable because if you live where they salt a lot, that salty slushy stuff can really burn their little paw pads. My dog used to walk weird for the first few minutes they were on then he would get the hang of it and go. :D

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I agree with Kitty, the salt in winter eats right through their paw pads, it's horrible.
Also when snow is on the ground it's impossible to see what's underneath, poor Benji
cut his paw really bad last winter on a piece of glass that was invisible under the thick
snow. It split his toes, took weeks to heal. I think if he wore booties the cut would
not have been so deep. This winter we buy booties! Like it or not, all three will have
to get used to them! I did use them on my Pug in the past, it took a while for him to get used to
them, and we kept losing them on walks all the time.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I agree with Kitty, the salt in winter eats right through their paw pads, it's horrible.
Also when snow is on the ground it's impossible to see what's underneath, poor Benji
cut his paw really bad last winter on a piece of glass that was invisible under the thick
snow. It split his toes, took weeks to heal. I think if he wore booties the cut would
not have been so deep. This winter we buy booties! Like it or not, all three will have
to get used to them! I did use them on my Pug in the past, it took a while for him to get used to
them, and we kept losing them on walks all the time.
Yes! lol I have to get some for the Chi's I bought my muttluks at Little Bear Animalerie, it's on Ste Catherine, close to Atwater. I still have them but I am not sure if the XS will fit Mimi or not.
I liked buying them in person because I had to try quite a few pairs on to get the correct size.:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Poppy wore 2 coats last year in the lovely british snowy weather but she was ok with bare feet! We kept an eye on her as I wasn't sure, it was her first winter but the snowy ground didnt seem to worry her at all

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we dont get too much snow/ice in Lancashire, and I dont think we really salt that much either - for just 'cold' days/pavements etc are booties advisable for this weather or will their paws not get that cold?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well we dont get too much snow/ice in Lancashire, and I dont think we really salt that much either - for just 'cold' days/pavements etc are booties advisable for this weather or will their paws not get that cold?
I'm thinking the exact same, last year in the uk it was pretty icy and cold. Boots were a good idea I was thinking, but where to get them in the uk is a bit of a job to find :( plus I need 4 pairs...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eBay! :p Ive seen a few pairs on there for quite cheap too, but im just wondering if they need them just in cold weather etc. We'd need a pair that stay on well as I bet Luna would constantly try chew them off :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts