Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Sophie has recently started misbehaving. She has started barking more and more frequently and nipping at people when they come into the house. I think this is coming from a lack of exercise and mental stimulation. In Canada we have a lot of snow right now so I cannot take her on her long daily walks. I got her a snowsuit with boots attached and I am getting her used to it but until she is comfortable with it she only goes outside to do her business.

I have been playing hide and seek with her, teaching her new tricks, running around the house with her and everything I can think of to get her exercise and mental stimulation but I feel as though it is still lacking. What do you guys do with your chis to get exercise every day? Playtime and what I am doing do not seem to be working...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Does she play fetch? You could tire her out with that. Also if you have steps you can roll a ball down the steps, and she'd have to go up and down to get it. Mine don't fetch. They figure, you threw it, you go get it!!

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Get plastic easter eggs or something similar, put a treat in it, hide it, and let her find it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Maybe get her some different types of chewies and hide those as a game. You could always do leash work in the house, too! If she's not 100% on her leash manners (walking on a loose lead, stopping when you stop, even sitting when you stop) these are things you can work on inside just as well as out! That may also help her understand that, even in the house, she has to have manners and look to you. Of course, make it a fun fun game! Lots of treats!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If you train her little by little to be outside in the cold, she will learn to deal with it...with warm clothes on of course, like thermo undershirt and wool sweather over...maybe also a wool hat. We live in Norway, and it*s terrible here too in the winter :( but my boy wants to walk (RUN) outside for hours everyday...I think girls are better like that, they want to stay indoor more...so what about getting a mini dog treadmill for here, and a pee pad?? :) XOXO

Also, have you tried to hide food kibbles all over the house for her to sniff up? Baby likes that very much, keeps him active..

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I know what you mean. I have Raynaud's and really getting intolerant of the cold! I don't play with him as much as I should. There is nothing like walking outside to clean out the cobwebs!:) But, I will wait until it warms up and the snow melts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hilariously, I'm thinking about booties for my little girl. She keeps running out around in the snow and getting stuck! She watches my other dogs run and play (an experience she only has gotten recently) and she just can't help herself! My husband and I keep having to save her. :( "OW MAAHM MAH FEEEETZ" lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts