Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I was the best, most responsible dog owner in the world when I got up at 6.30 this morning to walk my little ones despite it being the coldest morning we've had this autumn so far and a few spots of drizzle comming down. I rugged up and I put on the pup's fleece lined waterproof coats and set off... dragging 4kgs of dead weight behind me :( I thought they would be fine once they got warmed up but they were just not cooperating. I ended up dragging them stiff legged the whole way around the block looking like I should be dobbed in for animal cruelty. And it's only mid autumn! What are they going to be like in the middle of winter?!?! They can't stay house bound for 5 months of the year. I'm going to have to devise some form of indoor obsticle course for them so they don't pack on weight over the colder months.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Sarah, get them some comfortable but warm jackets, bring yummy treats and
make it fun fun fun! Lots of praise in a happy voice, you can try some games,
walking around obstacles, going in random directions, anything to get their
hearts pumping and keep their minds stimulated. Most importantly don't give up.
If I can do it in Canada, you can do it in Australia! ;) haha

·
Registered
573 Posts
If Chicken Little over here can walk in the winter cold, anyone can! (And I mean Lacey, not myself...but okay...maybe myself, too.)
I bundled both of us up and we hauled butt outdoors. I figured even if she would only stand still out there, it gave her a change of scenery and smells.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
haha Chicken Little...that's so cute, lol. :lol: :love2:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh sure Sheila, rub it in our faces how you live in warm paradise! :lol: LOL (just kidding) ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bayoumah - we don't get much cold weather here, it only gets to freezing one or two mornings a year and it was only 46 degrees (8 degrees in our celcius scale) this morning but you would have thought it was the north pole by the way these two were acting.

LS - I will have to try treats tomorrow. Their jackets are super warm, they even have a tummy panel so it can't be that. I might take them to the park as they are much more excited about that than going round the block.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Good luck! :) ...and have fun!
Treats are so great for training and encouraging, just give super tiny pieces so they don't get chunky.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Aww, mean mommy! lol :lol: ;)
Is he really chubby? I did not notice.
Maybe you are like me and are simply too critical? :confused:
I obsess over my dogs' weight more than my own,
everything is calculated and super strict. :rolleyes:
I know I'm a little over the top, but I don't care,
I want my pups healthy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, he is really chunky, i posted about it last week under the health section. He started gaining weight after his neuter and then I somehow miss measured his ZP rations and now he is 4lb 11 oz and he should only be a tad over 4lb, he needs to lose half a lb. He is super small boned (smaller than Chloe who is not quite 4lb but I think she will have a growth spurt soon) so at almost 5lb I can't feel his spine at all, no matter how hard I press. He's on strict rations now and not too happy about it!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh don't you worry, he will eventually adjust to the new smaller amount of food.
Well I wish you good luck on his weight loss, I'm sure he'll be back in top shape
in no time. The walks will help. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ax is 8 months and Chloe is 6 months. He hasn't grown in his frame since he was about 5 1/2 to 6 months. Chloe looks set for a spurt soon as she is about an inch smaller in both height and length than him but her paws are bigger and her legs thicker. From when I got her at 8 weeks she has charted to be 4 1/2 to 5 lb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.