Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have crates for my dogs right now, but I was thinking of getting some. I am moving in with 2 roommates and my house will be busier with more people coming in and out. I think they might like somewhere "safe" to go when my roommates are having friends over and stuff. What kind of wire crates would you guys recommend?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I don't use wire crates. I do have two Petmate Vari-Kennels however, but I
removed the doors. None of the three dogs ever get locked in. They go in and
out as they please.

These are great to use if you remove the door like I did, because otherwise I
think it wouldn't be airy enough, and you can use them for transport as well.

By the way, good luck on your move!!! I'm moving too! :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We now have 6 built in crates but we still have the black wire crate for Lulu. During the winter/colder months I just a fleece blanket over it but you could buy/make a cover. We've also used a carrier style that's more plastic...but I just use those for travel/shows now. My lot didn't have a preference between the 2 when we had both. Our metal one was bigger though so more could squeeze in. haha

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am using a small dog/ large cat carrier ~ plastic type can be used in the car (we do back and forth to work each day and to visit family). My Dad uses wire for Max. He is totally house broken but he still enjoys going in there for a nap when he can't lure Dad to take a nap (that isn't too often, lol) My Dad says his dogs have always had a crate for their own personal space it's important to their mental sanity & seeing how he is with animals I trust him because he is amazing with them. Right now Rio is closed in at night just because I don't want her getting out and getting hurt or scared. Once she knows the lay of the land though the door will come off. I can honestly say she loves it and she is snug as a bug. Several times a day in the office she Crates Up herself just because she wants to snooze in comfort.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We now have 6 built in crates but we still have the black wire crate for Lulu. During the winter/colder months I just a fleece blanket over it but you could buy/make a cover. We've also used a carrier style that's more plastic...but I just use those for travel/shows now. My lot didn't have a preference between the 2 when we had both. Our metal one was bigger though so more could squeeze in. haha
What kind of padding do you put in the wire crate?

I have seen those crate bedding sets and they look pretty nice....

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I got mine at Walmart. I got a crate rug and cut it to size. If you cant find a crate rug, I found a small bath mat folded in half is a cheaper and easier way to go. It's stiff enough that it will lay flat and not wrinkle. I also got a blanket for each crate and the smallest bed I could find, it's a bit squishy if you put it across the back, or you could turn it sideways if you have a bigger animal. Twiggy, being so tiny, I have hers across the back, same with Sherman. Chumley has his turned sideways. Isis and Marmalade, being much bigger dogs, have a medium size crate.
Here's what the set up used to be, I now have another crate in there, too.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I tried wire crates once for the twins when they were about 2 years old. Tabitha kept
throwing herself at the bars and getting her leg caught :( Jerry seemed to be okay. I
tried covering it with blankets and putting in padding, but she couldn't make the adjustment.
So, we have the plastic varikennels that open at the top and have a wire door. Now that
they are 3, we just don't seem to need crates unless we are in the car. They sleep in
the kitchen and breakfast area and I put up baby gates if I am away from the house.
Good luck with moving in with the roommates. I hope everyone makes a quick and happy
adjustment (especially Penny and Lion). :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
You do have to be careful what crates you use as dollie got her head stuck one night and we had to cut her out.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You do have to be careful what crates you use as dollie got her head stuck one night and we had to cut her out.
Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. Do you know what brand crate you were using?

I recommend the ones from Petedge:

ProSelect Fold-Down Dog Crates in Fashion Colors | PetEdge.com

The smallest size is perfect for dogs up to 12 lbs to sleep comfortably in.

The matching crate covers are fantastic... <3 them.

ProSelect 2-Piece Crate Cover and Bed Sets | PetEdge.com

They come in pink, blue and purple :) Well worth the little extra $ to have crates that are cozy and den like.

Those crates look like a good deal, and I like the colors!

I am thinking about just getting one bigger crate for them to share, but idk they may like to have their own...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We have a large wire crate (think Golden retriever) that Gracie and Diesel stay in when we're sleeping or not at home. It has both their beds in it, and their baby blankets, plus a huge plush furry blanket that they love to burrow up in.

We also have a smaller plastic crate - the perfect size for a grown Chi, but we only use it when someone gets in trouble or isn't feeling well.

I prefer the wire, and I believe the dogs prefer the wire - they like being able to see out all around, and I like being able to see what they are up to!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Honestly every crate we have has been "second hand" from either a garage sale, or rummage sale! Very good if you have small dogs; because a lot of people use the smaller sized ones for their dogs when they are puppies. Once their dog outgrows it though they end up getting rid of them.. so I definitely recommend checking out Craigslist for a bargain. I've seen some of the smaller wire crates go for $30+ but I've never spent over $15 on any of mine. My favorite pink one (that was still in the box!) was only $7 at a rummage sale. Most wire crates are fairly similar; the only real difference I've seen is that some just have one door; whereas others have doors on the wide, AND narrow-er side. Its pretty convenient because depending on where you plan to fit the crate, having the option to turn it either way is kinda nice.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Honestly every crate we have has been "second hand" from either a garage sale, or rummage sale! Very good if you have small dogs; because a lot of people use the smaller sized ones for their dogs when they are puppies.
I got two crates because our neighbors puppys outgrew them and she was THROWING THEM OUT! I saw them in the trash pile and was like- are you really throwing them out? And can I have them?

Ended up donating them to a shelter though cause one of our dogs freaks out in the wire crates, it is funny cause he loves his plastic kennel, I was hoping to use the wire crates at home and keep his kennel in the car so I didn't have to keep lugging it around.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I looked all over and couldn't find the brand name on my crate.. I think Midwest is supposed to be good though. Mine came with two doors (one on the short side and one on the long side) and a divider for when he was a tiny puppy.

I also bought a Pet Dreams crate bed for him to make his crate cozy. The bumpers on the sides actually came filled with polyester fluff but I replaced it with foam crib padding from Michaels and sewed on ribbons to tie it to the crate bars so it doesn't fold over on him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts