Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use wireless Broadband ? I'm getting my new laptop :D :D :D :D :D next week and it is wireless enabled .
I've only ever used dial - up so am a little confussed :?
spoke to my isp and they say i need a wireless router is this basically
kinda like a modem ??

sara xxx

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
First you'll have your broadband modem. That gets you connected to the internet. The broadband modem then connects to a router. The router allows for other computers to connect to your modem, so you'll have a network at your home for multiple computers to include your wireless laptop. As far as routers go, I recommend Netgear products. We have 7 computers at our house and have had the best luck with Netgear products. One thing to remember when you go wireless is to set the security code. Many people forget to do this when setting it up, and it opens your entire network/computer to anyone with wireless capability. The code is usually a 24 numeric code. Be sure to write that code down somewhere as you will need it in the future if you ever add another wireless device on your network or scrub down your laptop and reinstall the OS.

There are 3 types of wireless capaiblites. I've just recently switched to Pre-N and LOVE It. You want a connection that is at least 802.11g which gives you up to 54Mbps. The others are a bit slower.

Good luck! You're going to LOVE wireless capability. :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
wich century are you living in ??? :D hehe just kidding :wink:
i think NoahFL explained it correctly ...i'm not an expert too ....i use it at home and office ....but it was all fixed for me :wink:
it's far better than dial-up !!

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I have DSL which isn't as fast as broadband but it is waaaaay faster than dial-up. If you're accustomed to dial-up you will probably be in shock. But in a good way. :lol:
lol yeah i know i was in shock when we first got our dsl!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much everyone , dead excited :) my laptop is being
delivered Tuesday :):) then will get my Broadband set up ..

NoahFL I spoke to aol ( may use them ) they
use and recommend Netgear products :)

anyone have any choice of isp ??

So looking forward to sitting in the garden in the sun
looking & posting on here with Fizzy on my lap :) :D

thanks again Sara xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Does your regular phone company offer Broadband (DSL)? I had DSL in Florida and we went with our local phone companies package. Cable modem service usually goes through your cable provider. I'm not sure how you have it in the UK. I haven't lived there since 1980.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happy Happy me , got my new computer:)
broadband soon ( they say can take up to 10 days
to sort theline etc , so for now dial-up for a little longer )

BUT so happy to be back :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
Happy Happy me , got my new computer:)
broadband soon ( they say can take up to 10 days
to sort theline etc , so for now dial-up for a little longer )

BUT so happy to be back :D
and we are happy to have you back :wave:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tinker said:
Do make sure you're running good security though.
I have a Macafee ( Spelling ? ) security
package that came with my laptop ..

Virus scanner , firewall , Spam stopper & privacy software ..

The router I have says firewall aswell ? but I've not
installed the router yet , waiting till telephone
line is sorted .

Sara xx

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have broadband. I would not go any other way.. it is not wireless but it is awesome.. When I was in the protland area I had broadband and then We moved down here to southern Oregon and the ppark we were in didn't have broadband or camble and I was on dial up.. man what a sad time that was.. now we are on broadband again..

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am envious ........I live in the boon docks and still have dial up ( although I do have both fire and the wheel LOL ) Access to broad bent is just 2 Km's away.......it might as well be on the moon ! The hydro line cost over $50,000 to come down to the resort ..so, I guess I will just have to be satisfied with what I've got .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts