Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke is getting a "stranger" visit from an actual trainer in a few minutes. I'm hoping she'll help us out with tips and tricks and let me know whats going on with him from a trainer PoV. whatch him be perfectly fine with her LOL it would be my luck, and the running theme with my dogs lol. "show them your awesome trick salem!" salem: :"what trick...oo that smells good brb..." anyway wish us luck!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol Good luck! I know it never fails that something goes "perfect" when you're trying to show somebody else it's not! lol Hope all goes well hon!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It went pretty well, we didn't do too "much" so from the outside it may seem silly. but today she came over and he stayed in his kennel, we let him try and work through the frantic barking by himself for a few minutes, then covered his kennel. as soon as he got quiet, ( he was still doing what i call woofeling, low under the breath woofs, ) he got the cover taken off and a good dog, and if he started back up it was covered again. We're just trying to get him to be able to comprehend strangers, and work through this anxiety, as he doesn't "hate people" once he knows you/likes you he's fine and enjoys your company, not as much as some dogs, but he does. so we're trying to teach him how to get through to himself LOL. we got some long periods of quietness without the cover, and he got treats and good boys. and then she left. she's coming back tomorrow to do it again.

we didn't want to go another step forward to just have him inevitably fail. so she left with teh cover on, i waited till he was calm and let him out with treats. of course since he didn't see her leave, he was frantic trying to find her, convinced she was gonna pop outta closet or something LOL. Its all about repetition and giving him the tools to cope, like the cover gives him time to calm down and reason more instead of working himself up to unworkable levels. all and all it was pretty successful, poor boy was exhausted and just wanted to sleep after but he was sooo twitchy. every little noise had him up and going, and normally he is not reactive to sounds LOL just people. so we went and took a nap in a quiet room and he's back to normal :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh i didn't explain why i mentioned what we considered quiet, the low wooflings. he's stressed and as this is the first time we tried this method, to expect complete silence is a bit foolish, and sets him up for failure, since he is so tense, it would be like not asking you to fidget in a really stressful situations. we just wanted the frantic howling/siren bark to not be present. when he was silent silent and uncovered, is when he got a peice of hot dog as a treat and a good boy, and quiet and uncovered got him the reward of being able to see whats going on with the stranger and other dogs..

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
That is a great idea. I hope it helps for his and your piece of mind. I have to figure out how to get my crew not to bark at my daughter, son, brother and his girlfriend when they walk by/try to talk to me at the gate to the dog room. They are fine with my four special girls, but everyone else is someone to bark at. When they come into the room, the dogs are better, but as soon as they start to leave, the dogs go berserk. It's quite frustrating. Best of luck, hope the trainer can get him settled for you.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Good to hear things went well for you both and your right doing things in small measures is better than rushing too much and spoiling everything you have achieved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts