Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they able to build muscle and hold it on? What does a fit chihuahua look like? Are you not supposed to see a tuck in the tummy as you are in pit bulls?

ALL of the chihuahuas i see around my block are either lacking muscle definition all together or overweight(borderline obesity).

I am not very active with my dog. We take an hour walk once a day and then two 10 minute strolls around the block. That being said she isnt one to hold much muscle lol

Do any of you guys have a chi that is active, has a nice build and is ok with posting a pic or two? I'm eager to see what it would look like. I know this is a lean breed so i dont expect to see bulging muscles but i am interested.

I tried running a google search and got nothing :-(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
well my chi is over weight, and has no muscle tone, I have tried diets but she still cant budge the weight. I have learnt to accept her for how she is :) the pics in my siggy were taken 3 days ago.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is lean and muscular. Yes, they should definitely have a defined waist and a tuck up. You should be able to feel ribs under a thin layer of flesh. Hip bones should not be prominent, but you should feel them, along with the spine. If you close your fist and rub your finger across your knuckles of the closed hand, that gives you a pretty good idea of what ribs should feel like, with a layer of muscle over them. I'll try and find a few pics for you ....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my chi is over weight, and has no muscle tone, I have tried diets but she still cant budge the weight. I have learnt to accept her for how she is :) the pics in my siggy were taken 3 days ago.
Shes cute. How old is she? Maybe diets just wont work for her... they sure dont for me lol Have you tried longer walks? I've been trying to add on muscle to my pit since the begining of May to no avail (mostly my fault since i hate to sweat) I am thinking of taking the summer off and just picking back up in the cooler weather.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sweeny is half chi but I would say that he is at an ideal weight. He goes to the dog park every day and runs his little leggs off. He also is quite active around the house. Here is a picture of him. Hard to tell about his muscles but, he is very well toned. He gets a lot of exercise.

Julie

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
IMHO, Brody is the PERFECT chi that every boy should wanna grow up to be. He is Dexter's idol. ;)
So handsome and healthy!
Awwwww, that's so sweet of you to say! Thank you! Brody is blushing!! ;)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Shes cute. How old is she? Maybe diets just wont work for her... they sure dont for me lol Have you tried longer walks? I've been trying to add on muscle to my pit since the begining of May to no avail (mostly my fault since i hate to sweat) I am thinking of taking the summer off and just picking back up in the cooler weather.
Thanks! She is almost 4, LOL diets dont work for me either!!
I really should try longer walks but she is super lazy, and will just stop put the breaks on and refuse to walk most of the time. And I give in and carry her because I cant be bothered "arguing" with her!
I know I know I should make her walk etc.......

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Sweeny is half chi but I would say that he is at an ideal weight. He goes to the dog park every day and runs his little leggs off. He also is quite active around the house. Here is a picture of him. Hard to tell about his muscles but, he is very well toned. He gets a lot of exercise.

Julie
He is beautiful, I love his tail :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brody is lean and muscular. Yes, they should definitely have a defined waist and a tuck up. You should be able to feel ribs under a thin layer of flesh. Hip bones should not be prominent, but you should feel them, along with the spine. If you close your fist and rub your finger across your knuckles of the closed hand, that gives you a pretty good idea of what ribs should feel like, with a layer of muscle over them. I'll try and find a few pics for you ....

Brody has always been one of my favorites on this forum! he's a looker. I'm glad to see you posted him.

Yep, he has the tuck i was wondering about. I dont think i've ever seen a chi in person with a tuck except for the shelter dogs that are underweight. Is that Brodys natural shape or do you work him through exercise?

Is that a papillon he is playing with in one of the pics?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Julie
Sweeny is adorable lol. What is he mixed with? He looks to definately have a tuck under all that fur. I even see the muscles in his back legs. Its hard to show off the build of a dog that is brindle or has a lot of fur. The dog park does wonders for blowing off steam and getting a good run in lol

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I think there is a difference in CHIs.... Brody is the long-legged CHI.... my Chico is the 'squatty' CHI that has short legs.... I have ALWAYS had the long-legged CHIs... Chico is the first shortlegged CHI I ever had and there is a big difference to me in the weight issues... the longlegged CHI I *never* had problems with weight... but Chico can LOOK at food and gain weight... some may not agree with me but I think the short legged CHI is harder to get the 'brody look'.... :) if it can ever even be achieved....

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks! She is almost 4, LOL diets dont work for me either!!
I really should try longer walks but she is super lazy, and will just stop put the breaks on and refuse to walk most of the time. And I give in and carry her because I cant be bothered "arguing" with her!
I know I know I should make her walk etc.......
LOL She must have learned from my Lozier, for sure!!! ;) She will play outside good and hard, but when it's time to come in she stares at me and lays down where ever she is. She knows I'm a sucker and will just come pick her up. lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Vivid - yes, Brody definitely has a tuck up at the waist. He is naturally thin. I think there are some dogs, like people, that just have that faster metabolism. He's not a huge eater and never has been. He exercises himself! He runs up and down the stairs multiple times a day playing with his ball which he rolls down the stairs for entertainment... he sits at the top of the stairs and pushes it down, watches it bounce, and then races down the stairs and retrieves it and then does it over and over. He also loves to go outside and run in huge circles around the yard at full speed. He's just naturally active. When we go for walks, we tire out long before he does. My hubby took him on a 3 mile hike in the mountains and he would have gone longer.

And yes, that's my mom's papillon! He loves to play with her. :)

Jan - that's an interesting observation about the difference in body shapes. I think it's much more common to see the lean and muscular look in the leggier chi's and the cobby chi's are more compact overall. You're right - the shorter chi's can't carry as much weight as the taller ones without looking pudgy. I love Chico. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Brody is the most handsome man! I love his coat, and physique, and face, and ears, and attitude, and... heck... the whole package. It's obvious you take wonderful care of him! Lilo just saw his picture and asked me to tell him 'hi' (she's young and silly and too embarrassed to say it herself :daisy: I think she has a crush.)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Lucy is a chi mix but her weight and muscle tone is ideal, as is my pure chi Bailey's. Bailey's not a great representation of the breed standard, but that's not what you're asking:) Here's a couple of shots.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cinder's body looks just like Brody's! She is the long legged thin kind of chi and she is very active. She's all muscle! However, her sister is a more barrel type looking chi. She's not overweight, she's just built differently, but she tends to look like shes overweight. So it can even vary that much in siblings!
I'm going to try to get some new pics of her 'grown up' today if I can borrow my MIL's camera. =)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I know how you feel! Zoey is like this and ive tried all sorts of diets and increased exercise ect but the weight wont budge! Im taking her to the vet soon to see if she has a thyroid problem. Have you took Honey to the vets to see if she has a thyroid problem, i think you can get medication for it that helps and i have heard its not that expensive.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts