Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do chis 'stealth' potty because of being scolded for accidents or is it a natural thing?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I read that, they do it where you can't see them so they avoid being told off. You should praise them when they go in the right place, and ignore all other times! I did this, and it worked for me. Good luck :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sally is right. If you scold them they will come to the conclusion that you think pooping is bad, and will try to hide it.

If you catch them in the act tell them a firm no, and pick up and take to the proper place then give them the cue word (potty or poopies or whatever you use). If you find the evidence after the fact, just quietly clean it up and go about your business. I generally will act a little disappointed, but don't scold.

Of course, we also need to remember that each dog has a different personality, and there are some who are "potty shy" naturally.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got Mickey as an adult and he is now very good at pottying for us now. I was just wondering if his hiding to go indoors, (from reading here seems common) is from being scolded or a natural thing for chis. We have just introduced potty pads because of the weather and our schedules. We praise and reward him for using them but he still 'stealth potties' (on the pads) even though he knows that it is OK to go on the pads. Looking at it as a human, maybe because he was totally trained to go outside, he still feels a little bit funny about it. We weren't sure about using pads, but now have decided it's a great backup for us and him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts