Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear she's trying to give me gray hairs at 33! EEEK!!!! She will NOT eat bone now. Absolutely positively refuses, I gave her some on Tuesday but I had to cut into pieces and smother with Nupro. Maybe I need to just figure out how many mice would equal her weekly portion of bone and give her that many mice, and count for her bones? Seriously getting more stubborn by the day....but gotta love her. She still is eating off of RMB's like turkey necks, beef ribs, pork ribs etc but won't eat the bone. I'm wondering if her throat is still a little sore from everything, going to have my dad give her a looksie tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
She is really trying my patience....so the Nupro worked so well the other day I smothered everything in it today, she picked up the pieces worked them around so she got all the nupro off and spit everything out, so her organs (which were seared) got shoved down her throat tonight, took almost 15 minutes because she holds them at the very very back of her throat and when you think she's swallowed she horks them back up. I SOOOOOOO wish she knew that I wasn't trying to be mean, that she needed the organs to make her diet balanced. I don't know what I'm going to do about bone, she needs 1.4oz of bone per week, mice only weigh about an oz so she'd need 10 of them to = her bone for the week.

ETA: If I fed her 10 mice a week, that would be the bulk of her diet, and I think she would need more variety than just 4 meals different source wouldn't she? I'm trying to coordinate to get my parents to pick up some of that ground with the bones ground in in the next few weeks and hopefully I can get her to eat that if nothing else. I don't have a grinder or I'd grind it myself.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I know you probably can't because you've mentioned she has issues with hypoglycemia, but have you thought about letting her get really, really hungry, or maybe only feeding her once a day? We really only feed Oakley once a day because it's just easier. We "kinda" offer her food in the AM, but its just a bother as she doesn't eat it unless its her pre-made chicken/turkey frozen food.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have thought about doing that, am going to talk to my dad about it tomorrow, it might make her a better eater. She honestly only eats breakfast maybe 3-4 times a week, the other times I put it away and give it around lunch time. Maybe on Organ days I could not give her breakfast and no treats so she'll be really hungry and eat the bone. I just don't understand why she's doing this all the sudden, she was so good about everything for like 2 & 1/2 months.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh I agree maybe she's telling you she only wants to eat once a day

Heather you could feed other whole prey chicks and quail or get a grind that contains all her orgains and bone and then just give her bones to eat a few times a week when she's hungry

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How frustrating. You know I've noticed Maya is now eating all the meat off of her RMB's now & leaving the bone. She's a huge pig anyway but when she's done she'll nibble on the bone but usually only eats about 1/2 of it. Still funny.... They have their preferences! ;)

I agree about trying th grinds or other whole prey foods that contain bone that she likes. It's great that she doesn't require much bone to begin with! But still...she needs that calcium! :) Hopefully the whole preys/grinds work....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to laugh, hubby observed me attempting to feed Zoey, she licked it then looked up at me like "Okay mom what are you going to do to this to make it more appetising to me, and are you sure this is what you want to feed me for breakfast?" Yet she was dancing around wanting what Ziva was eating (EXACT same thing as what's in her bowl. LOL, such a picky butt! I am thinking of maybe giving her some eggshells to help with her calcium needs. Do bones provide other things other than calcium to their diet? Rob thinks I should just let her starve, offer her the same piece of meat with bone, no organs etc until she eats it, so if it takes 3 or 4 days so be it. My dad is concerned about her sugar dropping, he said I could give her sugar water to help keep it up if she decides to be too picky.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha Ha last night I discovered how to get little picky girl to eat all her dinner. I gave her the ground chicken she didn't want for breakfast (had like 2 bites of it) mixed with canned mackeral and nupro, she ate maybe 1/2 of it then stuck her nose up at it, so I put Ziva in crate with her Ziva started eating it, Zoey threw a fit and finished her own dinner LMAO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts