Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always offer Bailey her food from a bowl but she wont eat it until I put it on the floor. Anyone else have pups that do this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Jerry did that for a few weeks. I finally discovered that if Tabitha touched his bowl,
he wouldn't go back to it! Dogs have some quirky things sometimes :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she has eaten out of a bowl once I even got her a pretty bowl lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yup, Izzie is like that. My lil spoiled Chi. I have to spread it on the floor, or feed her by hand, or toss her a kibble cuz she rarely just sits there and eats. And I do it because she is my skinny one and needs to eat! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Same as Blondie above i do exactly the same thing with Dottie,as she needs food.the only time she will eat from a bowl is when there is chicken in it.Sometimes she won't eat for me and sits next to hubby because she wants him to feed her ?????

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie will grab a mouthful of food out of the bowl, run to the carpet, and eat it there. Sometimes she will only eat one piece of it, and just leave the rest - but if Pedro goes anywhere near her stash, she'll run eat every bite of it. She will not stand at the bowl and eat from it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I rescued Tango, he wouldn't eat from a bowl either. The only way I could get him to eat anything was to sit with him and hand feed him, bite by bite. Don't know what was in his past that caused that, but whatever. He was so ill and undernourished initially that I did whatever I had to do to get him to eat, but once he was well, the pampering stopped lol! I just put his food in his bowl, and if he didn't eat after 15 minutes (he'd sit next to it looking at me, like "come feed me, woman!") I'd take it up and he wouldn't get anything else (except a few licks of Nutri-cal) till his next meal. Didn't take long for him to wise up. :D But even so, he won't eat directly from the bowl like Jazz does. He will take a kibble, run to the carpet and eat it, come back, take another one, run to the carpet with that. He's just weird ;) My roommate's pug does the same thing, except she'll mush her face around in her food bowl for a minute, then run to the carpet and dump a whole mouthful of food! Tango is just a piece at a time. At least he's getting some good exercise! :hello1:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Prada used to do that until she was 5 months old!
I have no idea why but she was so afraid of her bowl
Eventually she just started eating from her bowl herself

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yes! Roxy does this on occasion too. Sometimes I have to dump her food on the floor or feed it to her out of my hand. She will also grab some and move away from her bowl to eat it elsewhere. If she hasn't been eating it for a few min, but the other dogs or cat come in the room and get close to her bowl, she'll run right over to her bowl and start eating again. Oh my... I love these dogs we have!! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think my buster is afraid of his bowl too so i put a litle saucer next to it and put his kibbles and he eats with no problem from saucer have no idea about it

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mine will eat from the bowl, but after Samantha Yorkie was spayed, I wanted her to eat and hand fed her kibble. She loved it, of course, and would eat some that way. Then I looked up and there sat Cosmo Bichon and Lavender Chihuahua, obviously expecting to get hand fed, too, and they did, of course, at least a few times. They all eat from their bowls now, but trade bowls often. Cosmo loves to get a mouthful of kibble and bring it into the living room, drop it and then eat it one kibble at a time. Lavender will lay by his favorite spot to drop it and help him eat it. (Amounts to inviting someone out to lunch?)I guess they like to change things up now and then to break the monotony of just eating out of a bowl!

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Most of mine will grab a mouthful and eat it elsewhere, which is nice since I have so many dogs, it lets the next dog walk up and eat, too. Even Bouncer eats like that sometimes. I have only Ling Ling my peke and Marmalade that will stand there and eat to their hearts content at the bowl. At least Ling Ling will let another dog grab a mouthful while she is eating, Marmalade will growl at them and won't let them eat until she is done.

Best way to stop them from having you hand feed them is to stop. lol They will NOT starve themselves and will eat out of the bowl sooner rather than later. Put down the bowl and walk away. If they don't eat it in 15 minutes, pick up the bowl. Next scheduled feeding, set it down again and walk away. After 15 minutes, pick it up. No treats during this or you will defeat your purpose. Depending on how stuborn your dog is, it may take a feeding or three before they eat, but they will eat. Having you hand feed them is time comsuming and really not needed for your dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts