Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Okay I need to vent about my work day. Between 6pm and 8pm we had about 10 emergency appoinments, ranging from a hit-by-car pregnant cat to three dogs who ate sometihng they werent suppose to and are blocked and need surgery to a seizuring dog. Well the one that got to me the most was a 3 day old (yes...I said three day old) boxer puppy. She came in barely breathing and had a body temp of 84.4 degrees (for those who dont know a normal temp is b/w 100-102 degrees) Since I am still farly new they gave me the puppy and it was my job to get her temp up and get her breating better. I sat with her with an oxygen mask and a heating disk with warm water bottles trying to get her warm. I gave her some Kyro syrup to perk her up too. We all thought she was a hopless case but I sure as hell wasnt going to give up on her...as long as she was breathing I was going to work on her like she had a chance. Well about a half hour later her temp rose from the 84 to 94! She was moving around more and even let out a cry or two. More emergencies came in so the doc told me to put her in a cage with all the warming bottles/disks and make sure she was covered and warm.
As soon as I moved her to the cage she stiffened up and stopped breathing. Now I have yet to preform CPR on a dog, let alone a 2.5oz dog but I had to. I was so scared this little pup was dead but I didnt stop. Finally after a minute she lossened up and started to breath again. I took back all the warming disks and held her again, fearing to move her. About a half hour later she was fine again and I had to put her back in the cage. She did great for about an hour, crying and moving about like a normal pup. I didnt stray far and kept putting her back in her little bed.
I was finishing helping put an IV in a heat stroke dog when I heard her crying again b/c she rolled out of her little bed. I came right to her and as I got to her she stiffened up AGAIN and stopped breating! I couldnt believe it happened again! I grabbed her and started CPR again...trying not to cry b/c she became the whole hospitals mission to keep alive. She wouldnt wake up and was stiff and cold. I almost stopped working on her but I figured what could it hurt to keep going a little while longer. Thank god I did because she came around again! The doc finally agreed to let me hold her the intire time, no matter how busy we got because it was obvious she wasn not stable. (I had wanted to hang on to her the whole time, but when you have that many emergencies and only 2 docs and 4techs you get told to drop what ur doing if the animal isnt dying)
I kept her until her mom came to pick her up. The mom is an experienced breeder and assured us she and a couple other people would stay up all night keeping her warm. I made her a little box with about 4 warm water gloves and put a nice fleace towl on it...almost like a little water bed.
I just hope this little girl makes it through the night. I have never been so emotionally drained in all my life. It was like an episode of Emergency Vets (on animal planet)...I thought to myself...this is stuff you only see on TV...never did I think I would experience this.
I am keeping this little boxer baby in my prayers tonight.
Thanx for letting me vent...too much stuff in a short period and no one else to tell.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Wow Angel and I thought MY days were stressful!
First of all, I take my hat off to you and all the wonderful people who do the kind of jobs that you do.It must be difficult to remain professional and not get emotional, but it sounds like you did 200% for that poor little baby.
I really hope she pulls through..please tell us what happens to her.
You deserve a medal...WELL DONE!!! :) :) :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Jessica you did such a good job! :) I have to say, you are one tough cookie. I would probably just stand there and cry like a baby (I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to animals). I hope that baby pulls through. :(

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
waauw angel ....you are really an ANGEL !!!! :D you saved that little puppy !! that must so fullfilling !! i wouldn't give up that easily too , but like you said what to do if there are so many emergencies :?

kisses nat

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
awww Jess you are so brave and brilliant, you saved that puppy Im so proud of you - well done :!: Id bne like Kari though blarting everywhere because with animals Im a wreck lol :lol:

anyway let us know any update on her if you speak to the breeder

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
do you get to make follow ups with clients? i know i have called clients to see how things were going the next day (even though reception is supposed to for a 3 day callback) but i couldn't wait and it made clients feel so good to get the next day call, and they have a lot more questions that they couldn't think of the day before. i'm curious how this baby is?

way to go for working so hard and not giving up on that little baby! i only had to deal with a touch and go situation once (vet tech wasn't my main job as you know but when iws needed i jumped into tech mode lol) it drained me for days after, my case wasn't a happy ending like yours was. keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
That gave me goosebumps to read. I will be praying the little puppy makes it through.
You did a great job Jess!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Poor you, what a very stressful day you had. I'm glad the Doc let you continue to take care of the puppy, good job! I work in the medical field and know how stressful things can get, so I sympathize with you.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That would be such a hard job! Good job to you for helping so many animals each day - don't give up - we need people like you! You are truely amazing that you helped that little boxer puppy. I hope it pulls through! You have one job I know I wouldn't be able to do. Like Kari said, I would probably just stand there and cry too!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx everyone.
Thanfully I work with wonderful people and they were able to direct me. The main tech even said she wasnt going to let this pup die, and she never gets attached to patients.
We are allowed to follow up but I dont work again until Friday. I am definately going to ask the doc as soon as I get in about her. It all really depends on the breeder...if she was able to get that pups temp up to normal and gets it to nurse again I think she will be fine, but I was amazed how one second the pup was fine and the next it wasnt breathing.
luvmypuppet<--I think I will be drained for a while...emotionally drained. I slept from like 11pm to just now...lol (12pm) It was so nerve wrecking to go from extremely happy (when the pup was crying and acting normal) to extreme fear (thinking the pup was going to die) and a couple times of that. :shock: I am so glad I have the next two days off, not just because of the boxer pup but from all of the emergencies.
That puppy wanted to live so I give all the credit to her. I was so amazed how such a tiny dog could have so much fight. There wasnt a whole lot we could do for her besides keep her warm...heck our tiniest IV cathaters were too big for her so all I did was keep her warm and give her SQ fluids (right under the skin)
I am very suprised I didnt freak out. Like Clare and Kari said I cry watching animal planet's Emergency Vets...for some reason I get super emotional when it comes to animals. I am very suprised I didnt loose it (of course I did in the car a good 10min after I left work) but thats because I had never seeen so many critical animals in my life! Its definately a physically/emotionally draining job but I wouldnt change it for the world. At least I know now that this is the job for me.
Thanx again all...but like I said I think that puppy had tons of fight in her and didnt want to die :wink:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
MissMolly said:
Wow! Totally great job Jess!!!!! I'm so glad that the puppy's fine now!!! It wouldn't have made it if it weren't for you!!!! Great job!!!!!! :D :thumbright: :thumbleft: :D
Same here, Jess!! :D :thumbleft: :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have to admit there have been a few times when I thought you came across a bit abrasively in some previous posts. Now that I know you walk the walk and talk the talk, I will never think that again and I sincerely apologize. You're my new hero. :)

Don't know what else I can say but I'd sure like to give you a great big {{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}} for a job extremely well done. Keep us posted on how that little baby is doing.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to work today to pick up some meds for Kylie and found out that the little boxer puppy ended up being put to sleep the night we were working on him :cry: . I guess a couple hours later the owner came back because they could not get the temp up and he wasnt nursing. The best thing to do for the little girl was to end her suffering and put her down. I admit i wasnt shocked, but still heartbroken. I was really hoping she would pull through. Thanx again for all the wonderful words!
-Jessica

1 - 20 of 29 Posts