Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 3.6 lbs. chihuahua who had major surgery on his left hind leg on Wednesday. He has grade 4 luxating patellas in the back and this one was actually the worst the vet said he had ever seen, even in case studies in school. The muscles, ligaments and tendons were all in the wrong place because of it and had to be realigned. He couldn't even make out where the groove for the knee was so had to create one. Chance has been doing well. He eats like normal (though he will only eat sliced chicken lunch meat, literally turning up his nose at everything else)...he takes his meds like a champ (a pain med once a day and clavamox twice a day)...drinking water like normal and pees a couple times a day. But he has yet to potty. He pottied in the cage at the vets the morning after surgery but has yet to since. My vets office was closed today since we had several inches of snow and closed on Sundays. I feel so completely helpless. He lays here and just looks at me like "please help me"....I don't know whether or not to start really worrying yet. Does anyone have any advice? Not just on the potty situation but how to take care of him. I am doing like the vet said the first week post-op but just feel so helpless!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Take a deep breath! You're doing fine. He will 'go' when it is time. If he is eating and not vomiting, then eventually things will 'move along' and he'll have a bm. If you want to make things move along give him a little roughage. A little oatmeal, with oat bran sprinkled in it would be great. a little oil like coconut oil dripped on his food. (just not too much--a half a teaspoon would be plenty) Does he move around much? It really has been only 48 hours and it takes a while for the gut to 'wake up'. As for feeling helpless, yes that is hard, but you are doing just fine.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I hope Chance starts to feel a little better soon, I'm sure you're doing everything correct so don't be too hard on yourself!

Regarding the no-pooping problem, this could be for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he's not eating much as you mentioned, only the chicken. Secondly, if the pain killer is an opioid derivative it can cause constipation. This is a really common side effect in people taking post-op meds. There's then a small chance that there's something surgery related but I'm less inclined to think so given the surgery was on his legs. I'm not a vet but I'm a trained doctor so I'm basing this on what happens in humans.

Try to get him to eat something other than the chicken. Try runny things like low fat yoghurt, tiny amount of gravy or cheese, etc mixed with his food and see if he eats it. If he hasn't pooped by the end of tomorrow I'd phone the vet first thing on Monday.

However, it's worth checking if your area has an emergency, out of hours number for Sundays and nights. Usually this is left on vet answering machines. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried every food imaginable. He turns his nose up at it and refuses to eat. He loses balance when he tries to pee because of the cast like bandaging. The first day home he seemed to be trying to have a b.m. But fell back and yelped in pain the cried out for several minutes. No vomiting. It's just that look he gives me that is making me feel so helpless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He finally pottied a bit ago. After an extremely rough night. Around 4qm he woke me up crying. Every movement he yelped in pain. Touching him made it worse. It went in for nearly ten minutes before he calmed down. I've given him his previcox and clavamox. He didn't want foot or water. He seems to be in pain and is resting. Thank you everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts