Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today is my first day as a raw feeder! XD , we have just got back from the best butchers where we live (Tbh its more like i mini supermarket than a butchers!) they have EVERYTHING! so i havent got all the pics as for one the pig livers we got are in the freezer as they are not needed atm BUT i have some pics of the tea they are gonna have tonight! the pic has 3 chicken thighs init but in each pack there is 10! for only £2.98! WOOP! so heres the pic (will post them eating it when the meat has thewed in like a couple hours x) :

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
that looks awesome! Peel off the skin for the first week or so. Then add it back in gradually. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thank you! i will! ive got some pigs livers too! :D x
Liver is awesome and essential! Put it in the freezer. You will need it in about a month, after your dogs are completely acclimated to raw meat and bones and different proteins (chicken, pork, beef, fish). :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liver is awesome and essential! Put it in the freezer. You will need it in about a month, after your dogs are completely acclimated to raw meat and bones and different proteins (chicken, pork, beef, fish). :)
ok thank you! mum said she will think about the bones! :D also can i ask what fish you would recommend?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do you know how much to give them? I don't know the exact measurements and weight but it's in Tracey's raw thread, or she would know. But I usually give my girls about 1/2 a chicken wing when we do raw. Def don't let Tillie have a whole chicken breast.

I saw your other thread that you chopped them up. That's fine, but if I do that Bella just swallows the pieces whole. Plus, them knawing on it for awhile is great for their teeth. Bella's meal takes about 20 min, and Izzie takes like an hour, with Bella whining/crying by her the whole time.. lol.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know how much to give them? I don't know the exact measurements and weight but it's in Tracey's raw thread, or she would know. But I usually give my girls about 1/2 a chicken wing when we do raw. Def don't let Tillie have a whole chicken breast.

I saw your other thread that you chopped them up. That's fine, but if I do that Bella just swallows the pieces whole. Plus, them knawing on it for awhile is great for their teeth. Bella's meal takes about 20 min, and Izzie takes like an hour, with Bella whining/crying by her the whole time.. lol.
lol yeah i used the calculater thingy :) i had to chop it up as my mums not sold yet on bones after a frek accident with cooked bones many years ago but we are getting there :) x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ok thank you! mum said she will think about the bones! :D also can i ask what fish you would recommend?
You'll do fish last after you get them acclimated to chicken, pork, beef. You want to keep the diet mainly red meat but that's over time. Chicken is great for beginners as its got easy bones and is a mild meat. Once you get to fish try to do oily fish such as salmon, sardines, smelt. If you can't find any, you can just add fish oil for the omega 3's.

You are off to a great start! I"m proud of you (and also your mom) for being willing to branch out and try new things. :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll do fish last after you get them acclimated to chicken, pork, beef. You want to keep the diet mainly red meat but that's over time. Chicken is great for beginners as its got easy bones and is a mild meat. Once you get to fish try to do oily fish such as salmon, sardines, smelt. If you can't find any, you can just add fish oil for the omega 3's.

You are off to a great start! I"m proud of you (and also your mom) for being willing to branch out and try new things. :)
aww thank you! im proud of my self too! , is there anything i can use instead of beef for pippi? as she gets ill from it , i think tillie is fine with it though.

Also last night tillie had her first bone! it toke her about 1 hour to eat it! and this morning pippi had hers! and it toke her about 10-15 mins! lol x

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

When you suggest sardines, is the kind in the can o.k. to use or is there a fresh kind. I only know of the canned sardines & I thought it has a lot of salt added?!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
aww thank you! im proud of my self too! , is there anything i can use instead of beef for pippi? as she gets ill from it , i think tillie is fine with it though.

Also last night tillie had her first bone! it toke her about 1 hour to eat it! and this morning pippi had hers! and it toke her about 10-15 mins! lol x
good deal on the bones! Next time try and feed the bones with the meat, it's much better for them to eat bones covered in meat instead of just bare.

When you suggest sardines, is the kind in the can o.k. to use or is there a fresh kind. I only know of the canned sardines & I thought it has a lot of salt added?!
Fresh are best. You can often find them at asian markets. Read the labels on the canned ones. Yes, they usually have too much sodium. Some dogs don't do well at all with sodium, some are OK with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts