Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my breeder has told me Zola has just had his final worming but he still seems to be dragging his bum across the floor. Do you think its an idea to give him some worming syrup aswell or not?

I wasnt to sure on this one.

Also on the flae matter. I have drops for that to but would you say its better to wait until I think he has fleas or should I use now

*Vicky*

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hi :)
If the breeder has said she has wormed 'zola' I'd not give him
anything else , did she say which wormer she used ? was it one
from a vet ?

RE fleas , I personally would not put any drops on
him ( chemicals can be hard on little ones ) When is he going
to the vet ? maybe ask the vet about worms and bum dragging ?
( maybe it could be his diet ? )

I'm sure the vet will help you re worms & fleas when he goes for
his vaccinations , I personally think it would be better to wait
( just my opinion , I'm not telling you what to do :) :) )

Sara xx

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'd say take him to the vet within the first 48 hours after you get him, bring a fecal and let them check it to make sure he is worm free. the butt dragging could be worms or it could be his anals (i posted a long article on anal glands in the article section of the forum)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks allot for the advice. My breeder said he had been wormed by the vet. Becz his brother was bum dragging and bit and she was liek he cant have worms he's just been de wormed and the vet checked him. She also said to give him a few weeks to settle in as he is still very nervous and has not meet everyone I know and who comes around yet. He is 8 weeks now and she says he'll need to see the vet 12 weeks. So ill take him then. She said if I have any problems to call her so I guess If I do I will just call her. His poo is solid, weights a tone for such a little thing actually. He only had one tiny running poo so far. He has had allot of poos so far and all the rest were solid, yummy!!

He's so beautiful and is fast asleep on a wee cushion, awwww

*Vicky*

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i still say within 48 hours he needs to go to your vet so you can establish a vaccine schedule, have him checked for worms (chiwi was dewormed and STILL had coccidea!) and just make sure he gets a clean bill of health from YOUR vet.....

not everyone understands the full importance of a "new pup exam" i wish they would.... you really dont' want to take a chance with worms. like i said chiwi was dewormed and it took 2 rounds of treatment to knock out the coccidea! and not all the pups in the litter had it, 2 out of 3 so if his brother checked out fine he still might have something.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Of course he's nervous but to wait 4 more weeks before a vet visit is a very bad idea. Make him an appoinment for as soon as you can and get your own exam. I'm not saying or suggesting your breeder did anything wrong but it's best. Besides there are a couple of types of worms (tapeworms being one) that regular wormer doesn't kill. I would also wait on the flea drops till the baby is older. Marcus is 7 months now and still hasn't had them used on him. They are so small that flea stuff scares me, LOL.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will take him to the vet as soon as I can then. Should be some point next week, probably the start of the week

He really is a wee nutter by the way. He's been all shy and now theres a few people in my house he's all hyper and showing off. He loves to give me kisses and try to paw my face :lol:

*Vicky*

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know this may not be appropriate because of the age of Zola.....but I was reading this, and I have a question. Doesn't anyone else use Sentinal? I give it to both of my babys (Golden Retriever and Chi), it takes care of all the worms (especially heartworm and fleas too. My vet prescribes it. :roll:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sentinel (also called Interceptor) is an oral flea/heartworm preventative, Interceptor contains the same anti-heartworm med, but doesn't have the flea med preventative. It's not widely popular since a lot of people aren't keen on giving immiticides orally to their dogs (afraid of liver problems in the future). It's shown to be relatively safe though, so it's preference of route of administration topical or oral.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmmmm....do you even have heartworms over there? It's really a heartworm medication taken once a month based on your dogs weight. But, it's an all in one heartworm, intestinal worm and flea control.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Actually Interecepter is for heartworm and intestinal worms. Sentinel is the only heartworm medication that I'm aware of the alwo protects against flea/tick infestation. So, If you giving Intercepter, you still need the topical. Since, I live in an area that has very high risk of heartworm and flea/tick infestation, I feel that Sentinel is the way to go. I've been giving it to my Golden for 8 years with no ill effects. For me it sure beats the consequences.

·
Registered
567 Posts
paint my world said:
I have to say I have never heard of Sentinal before

*Vicky*
I have heard of it but I used interceptor perscribed by my vet.

Also dragging the butt doesnt necessily mean worms. Yodas butt glands get irritated when poo piles up there. He drags his bum before and after he poos mostly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts