Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

It's been about a month since Lexi last got her worming fluid.
She's now 17 weeks and I'm wondering when I should give her the next treatment?

It's Panacur stuff for puppies as well as adult dogs.
The instructions on the side aren't very helpful.

So how often do you worm your Chi's??

:wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't give Cooper any worming stuff at all... and I just checked my vet records and they've never given him any after his puppy shots were done with. :scratch:

He's never had worms... :scratch: I wonder if we do things differently here in the states or if that's my vet doing things differently? Now I'm curious. LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do not claim to know it all but am willing to give an opinion.

After my pups had all shots they do not need worming unless the vet says so by doing the stool sample. I guess once you get the parasites cleared up the only time you will need again is if they become infected again.

Sybil has not needed worm meds since her last shots and she is 3 now.

:wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
8batch said:
I do not claim to know it all but am willing to give an opinion.
Hey, on this topic, you DID know it all!! LOL

I had never thought about worming, although I know Cooper got worming meds as a puppy during the vaccination time period... and I know he get a fecal every year at his exam but I just hadn't considered worming between vet visits. It's good to know I didn't miss anything in his healthcare routine.

I can go back to being clueless again!!! Yay!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Never heard they all had worms, mine didn't. Oh they (vets, 2 women) yes they checked the stools and every time I have went back they have checked but no worms. Could be the different places where we live. Mine have only been medicated for worms up until they had their rabies shot (16 weeks) then no more but they all have been checked even the older girls.

I just don't believe in giving medicine just in case. Again my opinion, so please don't think that you have to agree.

Everyone really needs to look on the internet with regards to over vaccinating our babies. I mean think about it. When you was little you were vaccinated which built up antibodies so that we don't have to be vaccinated every year. They are finding the this is the case with our dogs also. They say research the breed before u buy but you have to keep researching because they are continually changing what we preceive as normal.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My three are never wormed either, only when they were puppies, which the Breeder did. They get a stool check when they go in for their shots and it is always normal. I do give them "Interceptor" once a month for heartworm prevention...but that is it? :eek:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
the only thing I give Cooper is heartgard monthly for heartworms. I don't even put flea stuff on him anymore... I just bathe him in a natural soap stuff that repels fleas, mosquitoes and all bugs in general.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My vet has been handing out flyers warning of the dangers of Parasitic Zoonosis.
Parasitic Zoonosis is a parasite transmitted to people through oral ingestion of parasite eggs from a contaminated environment, through hookworm larvae penetrating the skin, or from accidentally ingesting a flea infected with tapeworm. Contamination occurs when people accidentally put dirty hands in their mouths.
People, particularly children, can be exposed to parasites at work or play in contaminated soil, such as a sandbox or a garden. Parasite eggs cannot be seen by the naked eye but are present wherever there are feces from an infected animal. Sometimes fruits and vegetables growing close to or in the ground, such as strawberries and carrots, are contaminated. If not carefully washed, they can be a source of human infection as well.
A natonwide study revealed more than 1 out of 3 untreated dogs were infected by roundworms, hookworms or whipworms. Almost 100% of puppies less than 3 months old are infected with roundworms.
These parasites also infect cats.
Parasitic Zoonoses can cause problems that range from intestinal upset to blindness or even death.

So they are recommending all pets be checked and wormed regularly.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I usually deworm my dogs with a homeopathic worm clear is formulated to remove hook,round and tapeworms 100%natural.this product prevents and treats just add 5 drops to food for 7 days prev.and 14 to treat.i was told to use it every two months i beleive.As for the panacur i will have to ask it really depends on the product you are using.

i have used this brand for respiratory problems since my older chi has allergies now i use it when needed so it has worked alot cause at first i had to give it daily.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
MsP... is there any specific reason your vet's been handing out that information or is it just an FYI kind of thing?

I always get nervous when my vet's office "advertise" diseases... I have to ask if they've noticed a rise in whatever it is or if they're just trying to educate pet owners. Luckily for my heart, my pocketbook and my babies, it's mostly just education.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts