Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little boy is keeping me on my toes. He just pooped and there are tiny worms the size of rice in the poop.
Petsmart says they are tape worms. Would yall agree with that?
It's Sunday (of course) so the vet is closed. Petsmart says they sell what he needs, but I'd rather the vet be in charge of that. We don't have fleas - so I'm surprised it's tape worms.

I guess what I wanna know is..
1. Do you agree these are tape worms?
2. Will my cat have them too?
3. Will some of you just tell me he's gonna be fine even though I already know it? :(

I wish I didn't freak out so bad over every little thing. It's just that I'm not over losing my last dog and that makes me extra protective of little Frasier.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Sounds like tape worms, dont waste your money on OTC products, take a poopie sameple to the vet they have one pill that kills it all! Yes I think the cat can get them too not sure how they got them initially!

YES he will be fine but act quick so they can not be bothersome to him

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sorry to hear your Fraiser has worms.. I agree with Kemos' mom don't buy the OTC products. When you go to your vet ask for something for the cat I understand that worms in animals are contagious. I know in people they are VERY CONTAGIOUS....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dori. The link was very informative. I knew they came from fleas. We absolutely do not have fleas, but the article says the time period from when the puppy swallows an infected flea to the time the worm segments are seen is 3 weeks. We haven't had him 3 weeks. The breeder's house was filthy - poop laying in the floor type filthy - I bet anything there were fleas there and he swallowed one then.

(I know people are wondering why I bought a puppy from a filthy place where he didn't get his shots and didn't get wormed. It's because the instant I saw him, even though I wanted a female, I KNEW he was mine and he KNEW I was his.)

The article also specifically said the worm is not hurting him, which made me feel SO much better. Thank You Thank You :)

I'll relax until hubby gets him to the vet tomorrow.

I love this forum.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Your very welcome

I'm glad that site worked out for you.. I have been reading it too... It has alot of information on it...

Think of it this way you saved him from a dirty filthy life.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you've had absolutely no fleas from the day that you brought Frasier home (meaning that when you bought him, he didn't bring fleas from the breeder's home to yours), then I would not worry about worming your cat---although if it makes you feel better there is no harm in treating your cat as well as Frasier. You'll need to tell the vet your cat's weight to get an appropriate dose. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support and advice. I love being able to bring my problems to other people who love dogs as much as I do and nobody says, "calm down" or "you're overreacting." Everyone here understands paranoia over a sick puppy and I appreciate that so much.

I don't mind nosey. I paid $300. That's cheap for my area - he's registered and he's a cute little blue merle. The same lady sells her other dogs for $1,000 to $2,000 and up. Even in all the filth, she truly does breed a champion line of show dogs.

I think Frasier was just basically ignored once she knew he could not be shown because he's gonna weigh over 6 lbs. He's also the only pup from his litter and being large (5lbs. at 4 months), he's very very agressive. So, I suspect she was thrilled to get him away from her high dollar 2 and 4 lb. show dogs because he was probably bullying them badly.
Although it makes me mad that he didn't get his shots and worming done properly, I don't really mean to put the lady down because if not for her, he wouldn't be here asleep on my foot right now. :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
frasier

he looks so cute!!!!
normally merles are really expensive so you made a good deal :wink:
you're not overreacting, since losing viper , i'm also so scared for cosmo, everytime he makes a weird noice or shakes in the night and i feel it, i wake up and take him to the bathroom for a full check-up.
i hope it will pass in time.

kisses nat

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We saw the vet today and got the "kill all" anti-worm pill. Turns out he had round worm too. Also I learned that most likely the 2 sets of shots the breeder gave him are worthless because she gave them 8 weeks apart. grrrrrr :x
The vet just looked at a poop sample today. I'll know more about the shots on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My Teddy had tape worms along time ago. The Vet gave him a tiny little pill---and they never came back! At the time we owned two outside cats. Just to be on the safe side we wormed then too. :D So glad you saved Frasier from that filthy place!! :D

sandra

1 - 15 of 15 Posts