Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i found 2 long worms (along with lots of diarrhoea) in Honey's crate this morning (she is 8 weeks, and they looked like pieces of spaghetti so i think they are roundworms). Taking her to the vet first thing in the morning to start treatment.

We only got her on Friday, and have been trying to crate train her - with some success in the day - she will sleep in there after she has fell asleep on me and i put her in, but at night times she howls all night :( poor thing. I just wondered, could these worms be the reason that she wont sleep at night? She wont go into her crate voluntarily and even with yummy treats and stuffed kongs, she totally ignores them and cries to come out.

Also, now i know she is poorly, should i still crate her? Or should i keep her in the kitchen/bathroom with her crate open and pee pads on the floor (she is very good at using pee pads!) Also, with worms, should she still get treats or just stick to her normal food?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
goodluck at the vets! eek roundworms. roundworms are pretty normal for puppies to get but its easily treated. after she gets the med i think she will be more comfy! give her soft treats but since she has dirrehea i think u should hold off till it clears :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, hold off on giving many treats til her system is better. You can crumble a yummy treat in a container of regular food to make it more exciting and use that as a treat without getting her off her regular food too much.

Is her crate located where she can see you at night? That can help. I left a light on the first few nights to help Barney learn what was happening. If you don't reward the crying all night and it continues, maybe try the larger pen idea. You'll have to decide what you want in the long run, then build the routine around it, and be consistent.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Post pictures for us when you can !

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hummm just had to comment on the lights bein turned on. i thought dogs could see st nite? when im walkin twds the kitchen to let dex out to pee he runs in the pitcj blackness while ik stumblin and crashin into walls.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good idea, crumbling the treat - thanks!
Yes her crates right by my bed, with a little light on. My t shirt is in there, I poke my fingers through, but she just seems to hate it at night. I take her to pee\poo 2 or 3 times in the night so its not that. I try not to speak to her when I take her out, except for good girl when she pee's in the right place.
In the long run she will have her bed in our bedroom, or she will sleep in our bed. But I'm using the crate as housetraining during the night until she is reliable.
I'm happy to put her in another room and ride out the whining for a while longer, but I'm hoping she will be better once these nasty worms are gone!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, what an adorable puppy ! So cute !

With Barney, I set his crate in the corner of the bedroom, facing my side of the bed, but not within touching distance. He settles down really well.

Once her stools are firmer, I'll bet she will be much more comfortable.

I got Barney at 8.5 weeks old. I did try to learn his poop routines, and since he usually needed to do it at bedtime, when he refused, I sat on the floor and played for awhile then tried again. Since he napped next to me in the evening, sometimes it took some play time to get his system awake enough to get empty. Now he's 18 weeks old and I don't do that as much. Little ones just have less muscle control or knowledge of what they should do. Their mother's just cleaned up for them.

I don't know how well they see at night - interesting. I'll have to research that !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine cries until the lights are turned off. I think she figures if the light is on we are awake so might get her out. As soon as it's dark she settles down.

Mine has decided her favorite bed is the laundry hamper, snuggled into the dirty clothes. She'll sleep there better than her crate but I can't trust her at night not to pee/poo wherever she pleases.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou, she is a cutie!
Ok I might try that tonight then, just put her a bit further away. Very much hoping the poo in the crate was just due to the worms\a one off, so will see what tonight brings! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you have to take your puppy anyway for check up than id go to vets, but if your only going to vets for the worms then you can buy the stuff at a pet mega store like pet smart. Save you little bit money for office call.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah its her first visit there anyway - to see about vaccinations, fleas, wormers etc, so am glad its tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Billy had a hard time settling at night so I put his crate up on my bed next to my pillow. He settled really easy after that.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
u had a crate on ur bed??? o.o
Yeah, I did. It was more a pet taxi rather than a wire crate, but it was enough to settle him and we both got to sleep all night except for potty breaks. He was my first puppy, for the next, I got the pen set up which is much easier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts