Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I hope everyone is doing great! I had to take a break from getting on the forum because school has been HECTIC and graduation is approaching for my first degree soon. I have missed seeing all the cute chihuahuas though and hearing about your daily adventures.

We went on vacation at the beginning of July and we couldn't take Jaxx with us (I think dogs should be allowed on beaches so we could have taken Jaxx but anyhow) we boarded him the kennel that we normally do if we have to go away because they are so great with him. Sometime in the week or two after vacation Jaxx started rubbing his bum on the floor. I thought it was his anal gland because I had not seen any worms. Then Brock took Jaxx out one day and came back in and said there was a worm in his stool that looked like a piece of rice. We immediately took him to the vet with a stool sample but the vet said it came back negative.

My first reaction was that Brock was seeing things. About a week later thought I saw a worm and I called to make an appointment which they couldn't get Jaxx in for 3 days. I asked if I could drop the stool sample off and they said it was better to have one from the day of the appointment.

We go to the appointment and the stool sample comes back negative again. I know I am not seeing things that there was a worm in the stool.

I have read on the internet that if it is tapeworm it can come back negative on a stool sample if the worm is not in the stool at the time. Is that true?

I have read that you can buy wormer for dogs but Jaxx is so small I do not want to risk giving him anything and it hurting him.

He doesn't have diarrhea or blood in his stool. He is acting fine (as hyper as ever) but he does seem to be shedding a lot though.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions!
I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
A tapeworm infestation often does not show up on a fecal exam. If it were me, I would ask for vet for a dewormer for tapeworm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts