Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had all the pups at the vets today mainly for Daisy, but Darla was also due her booster and all 3 needed wormed.
I said to the vet about how Daisy has lost weight since her spay and she said she did look too thin.
She now weighs 4.9 lbs
She was always over 5, at one point on their records she was down as 5.7.
The vet said that was too heavy mind you.
I am sure when i took her in for her spay she was around 5.3/4.
Anyway this has me worried now, and the vet said is it cause for concern too.
I have to take her back in January, she was to go back then anyhow for more tests since her liver enymes were elevated at her spay.
She is a smaller dog than all of them, but i hope this isnt something serious, or to do with the liver.

Darla weighs 5.1 which is her norm, and so does Dillon now! lol

So i guess i just see what she is like over xmas.
I kinda thought they would do more today, but obviously this vet wasnt majorly concerned since she isnt sick or off her food.
She eats well at every meal time, and is still the same in every other way, even plays more with the pups, chasing about in the hall.

I really miss my vet, who still works there part time but isnt back till January due to havin an op.
I had actually asked for him today cause i knew he worked a Saturday, bummer!

I have been giving her extra food and treats, but it's like the food is going nowhere.:)
Anyway, please keep her in your thoughts. x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh sweetie it's not a huge loss my daisy did the same but yet she's younger it's still early days since her spay. Does she look too thin? Pictures please??

Don't worry kisses from us xxx

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey....I was JUST going to post this SAME exact thing about Bruiser....he is looking WAY too thin lately!!! He was in the hospital back in Nov. and it seems like since then he just continues to lose weight. Praying for your baby and hoping all is ok. We have started feeding Bruiser 3x a day til he starts gaining. If this doesn't help in a couple weeks we will get him back to the vet. BTW, he was in the hospital due to a possible head trauma and came out of it wonderfully!! Vet gave him a clean bill of health.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks.
She does look thinner to me in person, more so than pics, but i think the sunken tummy that the nurse mentioned is normal,( i remeber now that she is a nurse from the other place Daisy got her spay) plus the fur still hasnt grown back there yet.
I dont actually think this woman knows chis to be honest, amd so she worried me more for nout.
My vets is just nurses and no vets now, cause it is just used for consultations, or minor stuff, and you still have to go to the other place for ops etc...
As much use as a chocolate fireguard to be honest!

Anyway i took these pics of her again just a few mins ago.
I also have more of all 3 to post in the pics section shortly.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She looks perfect to me too Terri! I wouldn't worry. Better a little lean than overweight. We are all so used to seeing dogs that are pudgy that one in good condition can look too skinny!! :) I think she looks great.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tracy.
Maybe she was actually podgy for a while there and so now i see the difference.
I will keep a close eye on her anyway, and see what they say in the new year.
Am more concerned about her liver enzymes anyway. x

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw I wouldn't worry, Terri, unless she really continues to lose and I don't think she will. She looks really fantastic, I think it's the perfect weight for her. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think the majority of chis could do with losing half s pound or so I'm miss strict and find it hard with daisys coat coming in knowing if she's still ok her weight fluctuates by about half a pound

Hope her enzymes are ok she's better at a lower weight anyway

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Aww, Terri sorry you're going through this with Daisy! We are going through this exact thing with Faith right now and have been battling Faith's weight loss for a couple months now. She's been checked over by a vet but no blood test and she got a clean bill of health. Faith looks fine but she has dropped down to 5.5 lbs which is an all time low for her when her normal weight range is 6 to 6.5 lbs. When you pet her you can feel her ribs and spine very easily but you can't see them or anything. I have increased her food to double and almost triple her normal portions yet she doesn't gain a ounce. She eats so much food it's unbelievable yet it only maintains her very low weight, she's eating half of what my 55 lb husky eats and still will not gain weight. My hubby thinks I might need to get her bloodwork done on her next vet visit. You're not alone Terri!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aw I wouldn't worry, Terri, unless she really continues to lose and I don't think she will. She looks really fantastic, I think it's the perfect weight for her. :)
Thanks Paula, i def wouldnt want her to lose anymore, but will keep an eye on her. x
I think the majority of chis could do with losing half s pound or so I'm miss strict and find it hard with daisys coat coming in knowing if she's still ok her weight fluctuates by about half a pound

Hope her enzymes are ok she's better at a lower weight anyway
True Sarah.
She was thin when i first brought her home, but always just over 5lbs.
Hopefully in Jan she gets the all clear for the liver thing. x

Looks fine to me as well !
Cheers Michele. x

She looks great Terri. Hopefully she won't loose anymore xx

Dillon weighs about the same as poppy now to. It must ne from their daddies side lol x
Thanks Rache.
LOL yes they must take after their dad, but sayin that Dillon's mum Coco isnt teeny, so he could end up a wooly mammoth. haha!!
It wouldnt bother me though. x

She looks really good to me too hon....I hope she starts eating more and stops losing as well. Right now she looks great though! *hugs*
Thanks Kerri.
Oh she does love her food and eats all in go, like the other 2, and i have been giving her extra.
I have to watch though on portion size cause she had to lose part of her intestine before she came to me, and the breeder said her portions had to be small, which i have always been careful of.
They do worry us eh, bless them. x
Aww, Terri sorry you're going through this with Daisy! We are going through this exact thing with Faith right now and have been battling Faith's weight loss for a couple months now. She's been checked over by a vet but no blood test and she got a clean bill of health. Faith looks fine but she has dropped down to 5.5 lbs which is an all time low for her when her normal weight range is 6 to 6.5 lbs. When you pet her you can feel her ribs and spine very easily but you can't see them or anything. I have increased her food to double and almost triple her normal portions yet she doesn't gain a ounce. She eats so much food it's unbelievable yet it only maintains her very low weight, she's eating half of what my 55 lb husky eats and still will not gain weight. My hubby thinks I might need to get her bloodwork done on her next vet visit. You're not alone Terri!
Oh Val, sorry to hear wee Faith is going through that too right now.
It is a worry when you notice a change like that, and dont know why.
I always think the worst which isnt a good thing to do, but at the same time least we are on the ball eh and having it checked out.
Always best to be safe.
I think bloodwork is a good idea.
Daisy will be having that done in Jan and i will also insist on a bile acid test for the liver problem.

Hopefully both our girls get glowing reports at the vets hon.
Let us know. xxxxxx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts