Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my fur angels out on a walk, my street isn't really that long, and there's not many houses, but today I saw two teen boys with huge black dogs off leash when there is a sign at the entry of the neighborhood saying you have to have your pet on a leash unless fenced.
So I'm a bit worried about my babies, but I do have a fenced yard and a doggie stroller, but they enjoy their walkies :(
The dogs have been reported to animal control, and have huge spikey collars, maybe they are dog fight animals? Should I call police or the aspca?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
No I wouldn't call anyone other than being off leash they haven't broken any law. Just keep an eye out I wouldn't jump to conclusions about because they are teens with big dogs they're fighting dogs

·
Registered
852 Posts
As Sarah said, theres nothing you can report them for apart from not having their dogs on a leash. Theres no reason to judge them just because their dogs have spiky collars. That doesn't mean that they fight their dogs.
Could you maybe approach them and introduce yourself and your dogs?

My ex had a Rottie and he had a big leather harness and a huge chain leash. I suppose that can look a bit intimidating but it is only because he is a bit of a puller, he is the most gentle thing ever. His little 'sister' is a Yorkie and they're best friends.

Obviously you can never know anything just by looking so I would err on the side of caution, just in case.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I would be doing everything you can to protect your babies. The bigger dogs might not be aggressive but you never know. Maybe take their stroller with you let them walk but if you see the other dogs put your babies in the stroller? I hope you get it sorted out, how scary :(

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My rottweiler always wore a spiked collar, and was usually off-leash when I walked her - The spiked collar was on there because she was so submissive and she'd been bitten on the neck a couple of time, and I wanted to be sure she wouldn't be bitten there again - If a dog gets a neck full of spikes they should back off! One of cats also has spiked collars for the same reason - Too many bites to the neck!

I'd be very causious around them though - Do you have a carrier (the bag-type?) that they'd both fit in? If so i'd just pick them up and put them in if you see them just incase, a bag isnt too much of an issue to carry around - or your stroller, although I'm always worried that they'll get their paws rolled over if I walk my two with theirs!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am one to always err on the side of caution with other dogs in general, regardless of their size or breed. Likely, no matter what breed the other dog is it's bigger than my dogs!...and thus capable of causing damage, whether accidental or otherwise...

I would have your chis in a stroller or bag when I walked by the first couple times, or hold them, and just see what the other dogs' reactions are...if they seem obedient and friendly, then you probably have nothing to worry about.
But I, too, get frustrated when others don't have dogs on a leash...and not because I worry about the unleashed dog's being mean necessarily, but because what would happen to that dog should another dog who IS mean approach him and start attacking! The owner would have much less control...

Anyway, that is my opinion. :) In public, I always keep my dogs on a leash... you just never know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts