Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly has been having more episodes of falling over and gasping for air. I took her in to the Vet says it is because she is getting bigger and having her heart issue it is needing to work more than it can do. And was told to come in right away if she was not recovering after laying and resting which she does now, but it breaks my heart she gets so excited when the kids come home now since they have started school and that leads to her falling out. Playing around the same now. She is the best little Chi why does she have to be sick. She just turned 9 months on the 15th. I have yet to have her spayed due to her issue afraid she will not do well with a surgery and she has not came in heat as of yet.

· Registered
3,755 Posts
I am so sorry. My pekingese had a heart problem, it was manageable most of her life, but toward the end, it was heartbreaking. I wish I knew how to make it better, trying to keep her calm is hard in one so young.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
That is terrible :( Is it severe? I wish there was something I could do or say to comfort you and heal Holly...I send you my sympathy. She is such a beautiful little girl and from the sounds of it, full of spunk!

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard lesson learned from buying a Chi from a Petsite. This is a genetic issue I have told the person i got her from about but she is still breeding the only 2 dogs she has. In fact Holly was born in November 2011. She posted puppies born again in April 2012. Learned after the fact the Momma dog had a litter prior to Holly and was only 9 months old when she had her first litter. Mom dog is 3lbs dad is 4.5lbs. Way to much breeding her excuse oh well I was going to give her a break but the dogs had other plans ughh...Insisted I take Holly home at 5 weeks 4 days old because she needed to go out of town for Christmas or loose my deposit and she would find her another home. After all that is said I still love Holly and we are glad to have her her with us. She has bonded so well with my Autistic son he babies her so much and worries about her all the time.

· Registered
725 Posts
Càn she live a reasonably normal life if you can keep her calm or is this basicly a death sentence for her? Sorry i just don't understand what exactly this is. I'm so sorry that your going through this I could not imagine my life without my Charlie and I'm sure you feel the same way about your little one.Is there someone or somewhere you can report this breeder to. She is basicly breeding sick puppies and needs to be stopped this makes me so mad. I will be sending healing thoughts your way and be praying for your little one I'm so sorry that your going through this worry with your sweet Holly.:(

· Premium Member
12,294 Posts
She is so lucky to have you to take care of her,just think if you hadn't got her she probably would have been put to sleep,it's fate that she's going to have a great life with you and you'll do all you can for her.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
So, so sorry about Holly! Is it manageable? This is easier said than done, but - just enjoy the time you do have with her and realize how much joy you have brought into each other's lives. That said, I know I would be very anxious!

Maybe someone can offer to buy the pair from the breeder and give them a nice relaxing life. Or maybe someone will turn them into the humane society.

One can only hope!

I wish for Holly to have a happy healthy life!!

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not know what can be done about the breeder. The dogs are kept inside as house pets clean,nice home etc. She only has these 2 dogs. Is she doing anything illegal not that I know of she does not give a health guarantee but had in our buyer contract that if puppy died within 2 months after we had her she would replace with another puppy. There is really no management to help Holly besides holistic, and over the counter type things that promote a healthy heart.

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Jenn, I think you need to get a 2nd opinion!!! Everything I've read suggest this is a curable disease:
Patent Ductus Arteriosus

I just don't think there's nothing that can be done for this baby, but I'm an optimistic person. Even if she can't have the surgery (which is a rare occurance for dogs with this disease), there should be some way to manage this. Sometimes a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion is the key to help this baby & lots of research!!!

· Premium Member
5,924 Posts
So sorry to hear about your baby! How is her overall quality of life? And how often do her symptoms occur? Every time she gets excited? This is so sad. I hope she improves! Are their any medications they can put her on?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.